16/42 chain length...................

delboy

God save the Queen.......
Donating Member
Registered
Running a 16/42 setup lads, standard chain length seems to take the wheel nearly to the end of adjustment. My question is will it be OK to remove 2 links and also shorten the wheel base :beerchug:

Cheers me dears

Del

busa-aug2009.jpg

i run a 17/43 it takes me to the inner side of the adjustment...hard to get right in the middle

Running a 16/42 setup lads, standard chain length seems to take the wheel nearly to the end of adjustment. My question is will it be OK to remove 2 links and also shorten the wheel base :beerchug:

Cheers me dears

Del
I have about 8k miles on my current chain with 16/42 gearing, and my chain adjustment is about in the middle or closer to the front I believe. Be sure you're not running a worn out chain with lots of stretch.

Thanks guys, it's a new chain MJ may have to check the number of links, should be 112

Del:beerchug:

I just replaced chain and sprockets. Now 16/42, what a difference! It's a whole new bike.:laugh:

Cheers me dears

Del

Nice bike there Mr Delboy, I would love to get brembo's on mine :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, it's a new chain MJ may have to check the number of links, should be 112

Del:beerchug:

Loosen it just enough to be able to get the chain(wheel actually) on and off. Then measure the adjustment you have left. Taking a pair of links out will move the axle 5/8" forward.

Prof, just checked it out...... with 112 links I have 1/2" adjustment left. Total adjustment with Giles chain adjustor is 1", so reducing using your figure of 5/8" it can't be done.

Do you know the total adjustment of a standard setup, if its great that 1" I will revert to the standard setup.......... :beerchug::bowdown:

PS Giles chain adjustor is sh1t mate.

Cheers me dears
Del

Back