$1445 and 1 month later...she's home!!!

denon970

Registered
She's finally done and back home!!!! About a month ago, the cam chain tensioner stopped tensioning, resulting is lots of horrible noises...among other things.

The shop tried to save the old head, but after spending atleast a full day resurfacing the valve seats, they gave up and ordered a used head to rebuild and install. The resurfacing was their loss, luckily, those hours didn't come out of my pocket.

I know you guys like pics, heres a few from the trip home. And if theres anybody out there with a 1999 or 2000 busa, have the VIN scanned at a Suzuki dealership to make sure all the recalls have been done!

cam chain 015.jpg

cam chain 016.jpg

cam chain 017.jpg

cam chain 018.jpg

cam chain 019.jpg

cam chain 021a.jpg

cam chain 022.jpg

broken guides bite big time, do not recall ever seeing such a total job done on a valve train wow... must be some awful tight clearances on these motors....... really surprised you did not need more than just a head.. (pistons etc)

bet you are happy to have your bike back :)

"HOLY-SCHMOLLY-GUACAMOLE".......Now that's a failure !!!! I'm with Bogus, I've disassembled a ton of motors just to see what I thought was wrong after an internal failure....did anyone check the crank journals or the connecting rods ????.......That's a MESS !!!....and only $275 in labor ????........

"HOLY-SCHMOLLY-GUACAMOLE".......Now that's a failure !!!! I'm with Bogus, I've disassembled a ton of motors just to see what I thought was wrong after an internal failure....did anyone check the crank journals or the connecting rods ????.......That's a MESS !!!....and only $275 in labor ????........

everybody in the shop was amazed that there was no damage done to the pistons. and no, nothing in the bottom end of the engine was checked. As for the labor hours, they were able to sneak a bunch of it in under the recall. It happened at about 25-30 mph, around 3,000 rpm, just while I was slowing down for a stop light----> I think that's why I got off so lightly. If it happened at 8,000 rpm, it would have been a different story.

Last edited:
you are one lucky dog... usually broken valves mash the ring lands down and lock the rings up.. I would be very aware of how the motor is running, get some miles on the thing right away... Did you happen to get a peak inside the motor while the head was off?

I would be tempted to put a borescope down a plug hole myself..

you are one lucky dog... usually broken valves mash the ring lands down and lock the rings up.. I would be very aware of how the motor is running, get some miles on the thing right away... Did you happen to get a peak inside the motor while the head was off?

I would be tempted to put a borescope down a plug hole myself..

I took a quick peek, the walls looked fine, but as I said, it was just a quick peek. I put about 5 miles on it tonight, and plan on taking it to work friday. So far, she sounds and runs like a new bike.

And I hope i'm not just jinxing myself here :laugh:

I took a quick peek, the walls looked fine, but as I said, it was just a quick peek. I put about 5 miles on it tonight, and plan on taking it to work friday. So far, she sounds and runs like a new bike.

And I hope i'm not just jinxing myself here :laugh:
would have been an impact mark on about the outside 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from edge of piston to the edge of the piston.. (kiss of death) just seizes the ring in the groove.. I would run the wheels off the thing and then run a leak down on it just for peace of mind.. I am sure the shop would have known to check it but unless I saw it with my own eyes? Just massive damage to get away with... buy a lottery ticket.. :)

would have been an impact mark on about the outside 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from edge of piston to the edge of the piston.. (kiss of death) just seizes the ring in the groove.. I would run the wheels off the thing and then run a leak down on it just for peace of mind.. I am sure the shop would have known to check it but unless I saw it with my own eyes? Just massive damage to get away with... buy a lottery ticket.. :)

will do (leak down and lottery ticket) thanks!

My Elmira brother I feel for you. Next week my bike goes into a dealership to attempt to figure out what I have failed to successfully diagnose and I expect a thousand dollar repair bill at minimum. We shall see. Hope your bike runs perfect after this. :beerchug:

now to get rid of that snow shovel on back you will be set:laugh:.......just messin glad you got her back :beerchug:

Back