1441 Hard Starting Battery Opinions

Turbo Bob

Registered
I'm building a 1441 Gen2 and have heard that they can be hard to start in hot weather after stopping for gas etc. I know there are 24V options, has anyone tried using the Lithium batteries with higher cranking amps? Ours are rated 180 CCA and there are Lithiums with 240CCA for around $150.

you need to do some research on the difference between cranking amps and voltage. There is no comparison on a big motor.

I looked around as you suggested. Any problems using two of the lithium batteries? Two of those would still weigh less than one standard battery and you can buy the Deltran (battery Tender) brand quite reasonably although you do need to get the harness from Tiger for plug and play.

I remember an article in MCN that you shouldn't use a Battery Tender type charger on lithium batteries.
It was a couple years ago and I don't remember why not. Of course since them maybe Deltran has changed their chargers too.

I remember an article in MCN that you shouldn't use a Battery Tender type charger on lithium batteries. It was a couple years ago and I don't remember why not. Of course since them maybe Deltran has changed their chargers too.
They now have lithium batteries and chargers for them as well.

Yup, Deltran makes a charger for them but they hold a charge for so long there is hardly a need for a charger.

I like the Tiger Racing set up that charges both batteries while you ride and not that much more expensive than the stage 2.

Would it hurt to try a single Li battery before doing anything ? 60 cc difference. Just haven't heard any 1441 builds adding a battery. I haven't had any trouble with my battery tender battery.

I have an email question to Deltran about a few questions about this. I don't know why but Tiger responded in an earlier thread to use two conventional batteries, why would that be? I wonder what type of problem Frisbee had with his Deltran battery. I would think a company as large as they are would have all their ducks in a row before coming out with their own brand of Li battery and their customer service would be great as well. Frisbee?

Its not as much about the size of the battery as it is about the voltage. Believe it or not but you can take a large car battery and connect it up and still have starting troubles. This is mostly seen with big blocks and high compression and in the heat.

Its not as much about the size of the battery as it is about the voltage. Believe it or not but you can take a large car battery and connect it up and still have starting troubles. This is mostly seen with big blocks and high compression and in the heat.
So do you think 2 small Li of 120CC hooked together would be all you need to start the bike and then the one small 120cc battery along with the charging system would be enough to operate the bike on after it starts?

So do you think 2 small Li of 120CC hooked together would be all you need to start the bike and then the one small 120cc battery along with the charging system would be enough to operate the bike on after it starts?

Can you share a link of the exact battery you are talking about? and are you talking about running 3 batteries?

You only need 2 (if you need 2).

The first one with the 120CC. I would only use two batteries. This battery is not recommended for the busa as it is too small to start the bike on it's own but together it would be the 24volts you speak of and would leave more room due to it's size.
Batteries

That would probably work in 24v.

Another thing to consider is location of batteries. Tiger racing sells two secondary battery options, one is a 5 amp hour and the other is an 8 amp hour. Both fit nicely in the tail.

I have the 24 Volt system on and my 1441 started great, stock main battery a little scooter style in rear, i just charge them with battery tender, 4 years no issue!

Now I have 1630 with 18.5 to 1 compression, took stock battery out and replaced it with a Yuasa ytz14 s battery alot better cranking amp and still little battery in back, No issues even hot!

I was told by 2 people in race comunity that unless you are looking to save every ounce, Ion batteries can be trouble, the hate the cold and lose cranking amps below like 60 degrees and they die without any warning!

Ryan Schnitz just did this batteru Yuasa ytz14s for me and fires up clean, old stock battery from 2011 was tired, 1630 beat it up!!

I'm cranking in 16 degree weather. It did drag a bit but the oil had to be pretty thick too.

Back