12yr old arrested in stabbing death of his 8yr old sister.

You know what.... When that story 1st came out I thought to myself "what are the odds this kid did it"?? He's too you to charge as an adult so he'll go to kiddy jail for a while and get let out.

What 12 year old boy hasn't seen violent TV?

Well a 12 year old today is certainly exposed to more violent tv than a 12 year old even 10 years ago. I think, primarily, it's the violent first person shooter video games that teaches a child that it's okay to kill. I don't know anything about the home life of this child but I would hazard a guess that the TV and Video games did more to teach the boy morals and ethics than the parents did.

and our society and economic system for the win!!.....not

And of course, let's look at his environment. Broken home? Parents? etc. etc.

You know I remember watching plenty of violence on TV when I was a kid, but it was all abstract (Road runner, Bugs Bunny, etc.), and on TV, usually there was clearly a bad guy who got justice, and the good guy express remorse when he killed someone. Now, we just glorify it all, and make it more real. Back then, there was personal accountability for your actions, and we all know that's pretty much gone from today's society.

It's not like this sick stuff didn't happen in the 1950s. If we didn't have the internet, 99.9% of us would have never known this happened. Does it happen more today? Yep, and the population has also doubled since the Leave it to Beaver era.
What was blamed back then? Comic books and rock 'n roll.
Also think about how much crime was ignored/covered up even up until the 1980s...Battered wives, abused children, hate crimes, rape etc.

Imo, a small amount of the human population always has and always will be wired wrong, flat out evil or a combination of both.

The prevailing opinion around here was that the boy did it. Now, like the comments above state: What got into him? Why did he do it? It is a terrible tragedy for the family.

It's not like this sick stuff didn't happen in the 1950s. If we didn't have the internet, 99.9% of us would have never known this happened. Does it happen more today? Yep, and the population has also doubled since the Leave it to Beaver era.
What was blamed back then? Comic books and rock 'n roll.
Also think about how much crime was ignored/covered up even up until the 1980s...Battered wives, abused children, hate crimes, rape etc.

Imo, a small amount of the human population always has and always will be wired wrong, flat out evil or a combination of both.

I kinda disagree. How many 12 year olds stabbed their sisters to death back then?
Take 1940 to 1960 and tell me how many? Crimes like this are happening way too often now compared to back then I think. It was risking your life to steal a piece of bubble gum or some baseball cards in 1950.

It's not mentioned in this article but I recall reading about a neighbor claiming to have seen a guy running from the house.

What was with that? ???

I have to say we never know what will drive children to do things like this. I remember I did have bad thought of doing VERY BAD things when I was that young. Being from a broken home and in and out of foster care. Seeing things that a kid should never see. Sometimes kids just never feel loved enough and this is their way to get attention. I would be willing to bet that underneath it all he was starving for attention and to him this was his way of getting it. It might have started as one stab but the rage came from being jealous of her. It is so sad this had to happen and maybe it is happing more now days but I feel sure it happened more back then, then you would expect. JMO I just pray for the family :please:

I kinda disagree. How many 12 year olds stabbed their sisters to death back then?
Take 1940 to 1960 and tell me how many? Crimes like this are happening way too often now compared to back then I think. It was risking your life to steal a piece of bubble gum or some baseball cards in 1950.

There is no way to tell you how many. Those stories were reported by individual news papers all over the nation.
Here's some statistics for 1953:
FBI director J. Edgar Hoover reported: "persons under the age of 18 committed 53.6 percent of all car thefts; 49.3 percent of all burglaries; 18 percent of all robberies, and 16.2 percent of all rapes.

Ask some old timers in your area and I'm sure you'll get plenty of stories. Watch some "Cautionary Films" from the 50s and 60s with real crime scene footage. There's no shortage of them and I can think of one that will leave anyone scarred for life.

As far as the murder rate in general for the US...in 2011 it was 4.7 per 100K. In 1960 it was 5.1. If you go all the way back to 1950, it was nearly identical at 4.6.

The prevailing opinion around here was that the boy did it. Now, like the comments above state: What got into him? Why did he do it? It is a terrible tragedy for the family.

I'd say he was just a bad kid. Movies and games didn't cause this kid to kill anymore than guns cause mass shootings.

I'm suprized this wasn't solved sooner. As the old saying goes... "Best look to the In-laws,before going after the Outlaws." Dont people get beaten,raped and murdered more often by someone they know,as opposed to someone they dont know?

Its a very interesting debate thou. I dont think its the tv or the video games. I think its the time spent away from family and friends doing things like tv,internet,etc.

Go back a few generation and you find that families did more family things. Mom usually stayed home and raised the kids. Now as Mom and Dad chase after the American Dream and 'The Jones',less and less time gets spent raising little johnny.Its not always the rule of thumb thou,thats why the debate is so interesting.

Way back when,the family would listen to the radio together,or watch tv together,or be outside together. Plus,there were way more chores to do,and the entire family pitched in,they had to,it was called survival. If you were lucky you got half of a Saturday to yourself.

Nowadays,everybody is off in their own little world. I see it everyday.Mom asks the teenagers at the grocery store what they would like for dinner. First one ignores her completely,second one has to take out music earbuds to say..."what?" third one barks "Hang on a second,I'm about to beat the high score on Angry Bird's."

When I was a kid,and my MOM asked a question,you had about 3 seconds to respond with something intelligent and polite...that or my Ol' man would have handed you yer A55.

Typical Sunday night in america now...all gathered 'round the radio....:rofl: NOT. The boy who's 12 is in his room glued to the Xbox chatting/playing with...someone he doesn't know. The girl who's 16 is in her room talking on the internet with a sex predetor in some chat room. The parents...

They are asleep,watching tv,or doing nothing...because they are drained from their 60 hour work week.

RSD.

Back