11 months for a 1441 kit by tombo racing...wtf?

Kyle

Registered
Hello Busa family. 11 months ago i set out to get some work done to my busa because i not only lost to a ZX14R but i wanted to go past the normal bolt on work that was done. At any rate, i had plans to send my bike to Carpenterracing initially but was contacted by the shop manager via facebook telling me that TOMBO Racing could do just as good as a job or better. My local guy was to backed up and Tombo Racing seemed to be closer so i thought what the heck. This was in January of this year as snow was still on the grown. During the build, i sent multiple checks and was promised that my bike would be finished multiple times but it never was. Finally, 11 months later, i decided that i could not wait any longer and that the stories and nonsense that i was being told was suspect as it doesn't take that long to build a 1441. Well, i go down to pick up the bike and the bike was not finished. The NOS was not hooked up among some other things. So, i had to turn the bike into my local builder who just recently finished the bike. This will cost me 2000 additional dollars. Why you ask? Well he had to redo the purge system, order a 24v system, install and redo the NOS lines, tune the motor and tune the NOS, and some other things, that was promised to be done but wasn't. I was also told that he had to take out my clutch basket becasue the cluth fibers and plates were bad and it had tarnished and make the basket dirty which cost MORE money. Not only that but my fairings were scratched up as well. When i brought this to there attention, Tombo said that i did not have to pay for anything and to send him the fairings so he can fix them by painting them. Me personally, i dont do paint. im the guy that purchases the bike and leaves it the way it is because i like it that way. Furthermore, his shop manager has the nerve to tell me that i owe Tombo Racing, an additional 1500 dollars becasue he can't account for the thousands i already sent them. This doesn't take into account the multiple bikes that i saw just sitting around the shop either. I know there is some pissed off guys out there that haven't seen there bikes in a long time. My bike was in worst condition then when i dropped it off. When i would put the bike in first gear, it would shut off becasue the clutch plates were melted. And my fork seals seem to look like they have a slight leak as well. Anyway, if you want motorwork done, stay away from this shop. Tombo is a good dude but, i would not take any of my other bikes there for an oil change.

Wow, was there a burnt orange Busa sitting there ? We had a member doing a build thread that decided to send his motor there and we haven't heard from him in about a year.

When I was into car modification, there was a local shop in my area that would take in cars and then sit on them. We're talking about $30,000 motor upgrades. He would take the car apart, sell off those parts, and then push back the owner telling him why each deadline was met with yet another delay.

He also then setup large group buys on the car forums, filling the first few orders then sitting on the rest.

Eventually he went bankrupt. His business was dead. Claimed to have no assets. The company bankruptcy records showed over $200,000 on the company credit cards. Given that he wasn't shipping product, I believe he banked the cash and ran.

2 years later I find out that his wife's friend (Found her through facebook) is the owner of a new car company in the area, that he happens to work for. Founding date is just a few months after the old one being dissolved.

Doing some digging, it turns out he had done this at least once before on another car site (the previous generation of this vehicle).

He's actually back on the car forum and the idiots are buying from him again.

Rince and repeat..

It's amazing that some people can lie through their teeth and people believe them.
That's why it's important to get things in writing with a due date, and what will happen if the due date comes and goes.
The fact that a supplier didn't come through is not a reason to delay a project. A good builder would have most everything is stock before he
took on the project.

Sending someone money without seeing what is being done or been done is asking for problems.

This may be a case where the OP needs to get a lawyer and sue them for all the missed riding time and a bike that is now not rideable.
Just make sure the lawyer doesn't get paid unless there is a paid settlement against the low life that worked on your bike.

Oh and if you have your bike in your possession now - do not give the low life a penny more. :banghead:

Wow, was there a burnt orange Busa sitting there ? We had a member doing a build thread that decided to send his motor there and we haven't heard from him in about a year.

I was thinking the same thing Dado.....

I believe the members name is MLSDuke or something like that. He has a huge thread about his bike build and it seemed 2 be coming along and then he talked about taking his bike to Tombo cause he was in over his head on the motor aspect of it and he seemed very excited like it would be done shortly and then crickets...... we haven't had any updates on his thread or even seen a post from him in quite some time. Makes me wonder if he's in the same boat as you or worse dealing with that shop??

Glad I cam across this I thought about sending my motor to them. Sad to hear about these things bad thing is it happens all the time. Plan on sending to Boosted cycle...

I guess if at all possible (which it is if you want it bad enough) get references and or read reviews before
you give someone your hard earned money - unless you won the lotto and money has little value. :laugh:

Ouch! and i really thought they were a stand up shop. as far as the unaccouted for $$ - id say thats their problem. prove that you paid it and nothing more.

Glad I cam across this I thought about sending my motor to them. Sad to hear about these things bad thing is it happens all the time. Plan on sending to Boosted cycle...

Good for you, Rob has a good rep, as do most of the sponsors on the org. We are out here, we are available, our customers do all our advertising for us. We live - or we die - on the internet . . . :whistle:

Good for you, Rob has a good rep, as do most of the sponsors on the org. We are out here, we are available, our customers do all our advertising for us. We live - or we die - on the internet . . . :whistle:

I know I haven't dealt with yall yet, soon I I'll be sending my ecu for flash, but I hear a lot of good about yall. To be honest both you and Rob have answered my questions that have been asked a million times before by others. Both of you seem like stand up guys and are usually one of the first to help. I send people yall way when someone asks.

Wow. I hate to hear that. So what did they do for the money you gave them?

I didn't give them a penny more. But i turned it in to another builder and the bike is finished. The only issue im having with it is, i left the air shifter on at a stop and now the thing doesn't want to start. i had a 24v system installed and the main batt is saying its good but the smaller second battery says full but as soon as i try to start the bike, it then needs another charge. The battery was brand new a week ago so im not sure how i damaged the cells in the smaller battery that fast. I'm not sure if they rode my bike or not but I WILL NEVER take my bike to them again. They had all kinda bikes just sitting in a room. The sad thing is when i would look on facebook, he would have race pics everywhere so i know he had time to finish the job.

Back