'11 hayabusa, or bmw K1300

06dream

Registered
hey folks, do anyone have any experience with the bmw k1300s? I've been caught looking at them, and wonder what they're like compared to the 'busa. I have an '06 busa, would like to get the '11, but then I seen the Bmw which looks quite nice also, but i've never ridden one... any thoughts?

If you have the money, buy the K1300S. Even the K1200S was an awesome bike, but the 1300 is simply amazing.

That seating geometry on the BMW1300k looks more comfortable than the Busa never sat on one.

I have heard that the feel through the front suspension is a little vague on the BMW, but that it tracks true so I guess see if you can test ride one somewhere.

hey folks, do anyone have any experience with the bmw k1300s? I've been caught looking at them, and wonder what they're like compared to the 'busa. I have an '06 busa, would like to get the '11, but then I seen the Bmw which looks quite nice also, but i've never ridden one... any thoughts?
If you're getting a new busa skip the 2011...its 2 grand more than a 2010 and back for the same exact bike. Pick up a new 09 somewhere and save yourself 3500 bucks or so. Or get the BMW1300 which is supposed to be a very nice touring machine :beerchug:

k1300 very comfortable, but I thought the Busa handled better.

I haven't ridden a K1300 but I did ride the 1200 and it's a nice bike, a lot more
money and DOES NOT HAVE the low end grunt you are used to.

I have an '06 and when I rode the 1200 it "felt" like I lost about 25 hp...
no thank you, not for that kind of money...no no.

Very nice bike but...imho, you just don't get the value and get what you pay for.

BMW if you want everybody to know you have money to throw away. It may be a better bike. It may not. But most of us aren't going to notice anyway. Unless you test the limits of bike and yourself.

BMW if you want everybody to know you have money to throw away. It may be a better bike. It may not. But most of us aren't going to notice anyway. Unless you test the limits of bike and yourself.

It ain't a better bike (note the 25hp less feeling)...oh it may have more
gizmos like adjustable on the fly suspension...so...

I paid 11,000 OTD for my busa
MSPR for the Beamer is $17,800+tax, tag, and dealer screwing...for a slower
bike. I don't think so. $8000 buys a lotta add ons and mods...turbo anyone.

Base is 15,800...

I had the same question a year ago. I have owned an 06 K1200S, 05 Busa, 06 ZX14, and currently 09 Busa. Best handling and braking bike K1200S, best performing bike across the entire RPM spread 09 Busa, most comfortable bike to put miles on ZX14 (butts don't lie), cheapest bike to ensure K1200S, most expensive bike to maintain K1200S. K1200S runs like a raped ape starting at 6000 RPM's (had staintune can and KN filters), ZX14 was a rocket above 6000 RPMS also (removed secondary butterflies, Muzzy M10-M14 exhaust, K&N's and PC III) this was the fastest bike in raw acceleration, 09 Busa overall best performing (has complete Yosh Titanium R55), offers smooth linear acceleration across the RPM range, suspension inferior to BMW and brakes go soft. With all this said I would buy the new K1300S because with the price hike on the new 2011 Busa's the delta between them will be small and the added insurance cost of the Busa will negate the difference in a few years. Or like someone else said buy an 09 Busa and upgrade the breaks and suspension and you will have a great bike.:thumbsup:

Maybe you should look into final drive and transmission failures before you buy a BMW. Been there, done that (BMW final drive/transmission troubles).

I did ride the 1200 and it's a nice bike, a lot more
money and DOES NOT HAVE the low end grunt you are used to.

Yeah, but the 1200 is not the same type of bike as the Busa. The 1200 is, IMO, the equivalent of a VTR1000 (SuperHawk, I think you guys call it) or a TLR. You don't have to rev the crap out of it, and it goes around corners like it's on rails.

Back on topic: the K1300S has a ton of grunt, far more than most riders will ever be able to use. Sure, it's not as powerful as the Busa, but the margin isn't too great. And if I wanted a sport bike for long distance touring, the only ones I would consider would be the K1300S or the new Honda VF1200R.

I love my Busa and I know it can be set up for touring, but I'd still take the BMW. Hell, if I was just going to blow a heap of cash on a new bike, I'd get the new BMW over the Busa, even though it costs $10K more.

Last edited:
I don't know wear you guys are buying your BMW's, but I got offered one for $15,500 which had everything but shift assist. So their really is about a $4K delta on 2009's and if the 2011 model has gone up by $2500, that really closes the gap and the Busa is more expensive to insure. The mags rated the Gen 2 Busa agianst the BMW and the BMW won practially every category. With that said it is still not a Busa.

- Suzuki Hayabusa vs BMW K1300S Motorcycle Review[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents worth...the thing about BMWs that really isn't talked about in detail is the maintenance and expense. BMW is a very costly bike to maintain..not as expensive as a Ducati but pretty bad. Bmw will rape u everytime u need some parts or tune or engine work. The dealer network sucks in that they are so few of them around..When u need a part u can wait weeks to get it ordered and in.
Is it a great bike...yes...it has way more power than u will ever be able to utilize. It is not chain propelled and therein lies another expense that is problematic on Beemers...there are also problems with their transmissions..and u have no idea how expensive that can get in a hurry once the guarantee is gone. Sexy bike...nice upright style for comfortable cruising...if I was wealthy..I would have one in my stable...Look at just what extra racks and hard luggage will tag u..and u will get a good idea what is in store for u down the line with BMW...just sayin

The busa and BMW aren't quite in the same class anyways for alot of shoppers are they? The busa is substantially faster and sportier...more of a hyper-bike, and the beemer is more of a sport-tourer. Although they do seem to be kind of infringing on each others turf. And Suzuki hasn't helped the busa at all by jacking the 2011 busa's price up over 2 grand for the same exact technology as the 2008 model ??? I can't see guys buying a BMW 1300 to take to the dragstrip, or customize and bling out for bike shows. And I can't see alot of guys taking trips back and forth across the continent on stock busa's without alot of comfort mods and luggage work done. So you still need to decide what you're going to be using the machine for. They're not exact competitors :laugh:

It is not chain propelled and therein lies another expense that is problematic on Beemers...
I know that the shaft-drive had some problems on older models, but I'm pretty sure BMW has got that solved.
Personally, I love shaft-drive bikes. Zero maintenance hassles. I wish the Busa had it.

Back