1000 Mile Checkup

I just rolled over 1000 miles today on my 03 Busa..
thumbs-up.gif

What's involved in the 1000 mile schedule maintenance aside from an oil change?

I want to go to Amsoil synthetic so there's no need for me to have the dealer change my oil and then change it again myself so I figured I'd ask here.

If they just check to make sure bolts are tight, which ones typically loosen up that I might want to look at if I don't want to pay them $100 to just check some bolts.

I'm aware that they don't adjust the valves, so I'm not sure what else there is.

Hey, I do not see a 1000 mile service in my owners manual...There is referance to the 1000KM/600 mile service though.

You got me wondering so I had to go check, so far as I can tell the next scheduled service is 4000 miles.  Though I would recommend changing the oil a little more often...oh and remember that the service intervals are the minimum recommended, if you whoop it hard, check it more often...

1000 mile??  what the....  I know we were to stay below certain RPMs on break in but didn't know about other service.  I'm around 3200 now and ready to change oil.  I might take it in and have them tune, tweak, tighten everything AND do my oil since I'm one of them white collared, lazy-a$$ed computer geek types

Revlis.... yer motion-filled avatar icon frightens me [quiver]

read your owners manual guy........that's what it's for
What is the 600 mile one then that Revlis referenced?

I have yet to crack the binder on my owner's manual. Just went by the dealer telling me to come back between 600 and 1000 miles for my checkup / oil change.

I will be cracking it shortly to find out which weight synthetic I need to pick up though. Help me out though with the 600 mile one. Anything else I should watch for before the 4000 mile checkup aside from waxing the chain?

Thanks.

read your owners manual guy........that's what it's for
What is the 600 mile one then that Revlis referenced?

I have yet to crack the binder on my owner's manual.  Just went by the dealer telling me to come back between 600 and 1000 miles for my checkup / oil change.

I will be cracking it shortly to find out which weight synthetic I need to pick up though.  Help me out though with the 600 mile one.  Anything else I should watch for before the 4000 mile checkup aside from waxing the chain?

Thanks.
Yeah the 600 mile service is the most critical. If you have not gotten it into the dealer get it in there.

The dealer will change the oil and then accomplish everything that is in your manual...

Now while you are bikeless sit your ass down and read the freakin manual!!!!

It's important that you read that thing and understand it.

Mr HasYettoreadthemanualohdear....

Yeah the 600 mile service is the most critical.  If you have not gotten it into the dealer get it in there.  

The dealer will change the oil and then accomplish everything that is in your manual...
So useful... thanks for the answer as to what the 600 mile checkup includes. Guess I will have to crack that book to see if it's something I can accomplish. Your detailed description didn't help too much.
thumbs-up.gif

Yeah the 600 mile service is the most critical.  If you have not gotten it into the dealer get it in there.  

So useful... thanks for the answer as to what the 600 mile checkup includes.  Guess I will have to crack that book to see if it's something I can accomplish.  Your detailed description didn't help too much.
thumbs-up.gif
Man, How lazy you going to be?  You want me to scan the damn service schedule and post it for you?  How about I drive my ass up there and do it for you too?  
sarcasm.gif

I know it sucks and it's going to be tricky but really, bust open your manual to page 50 I think and then decide what you want to do.

Man, if you cannot even bust open your owners manual what makes you think you have the motivation to do the work yourself?
rock.gif

Imtoolazyandjustwanttodrinkbeer, get off the sofa and read...knowledge is power bro...now get out there...
thumbs-up.gif

BTW, Some dealers will want to do different things.  Mine pulled and checked my plugs to determine how my motor is running(Not in manual). Then he checked all the fastners, adjusted the chain, changed the oil and filter, etc.  So you might just want to ask the dealer what they will be doing and then decide what you want to do.

Pretty much if your competant you should be able to perform the initial service yourself, and you should get it done soon...  Although there might be some reading involved so you might want to hold off..
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

thumbs-up.gif

laugh.gif

Dosnt Servicing the bike yourself affect the warranty?Anyway Isnt the 1st service free in the USA.It is in the UK apart from materials,Oil & filter which cost around £29.($40)and for that price its not worth getting your hands dirty!!!

The shop where I bought my Busa is pretty crappy, IMO. Another person's bike from there after the first service lost two screws due to vibration. . . this is why I'd rather do it myself than pay them to do it so that it gets done right.

I will open the book and myself and read it, don't worry.
thumbs-up.gif
But I need to wait for my "Hooked on Phonics" to show up in the mail first.
sly.gif

I didn't mean to sound lazy. I just expected that the first maintenance was probably just "adjust chain, check plugs, tighten this bolt, that bolt, and the other bolt". In any event, my chain is tight and the only thing I am semi-worried about is this burning plastic smell I got yesterday at about 997 miles on the odo when I was up near redline (3rd gear doing over 100
music.gif
). Other than that, it's been fine.

Thanks for the help.

SuzukiGSX1300RK: It's not free for us.. at least not around here. I could use to save the $$ (if it wouldn't void my warranty) and wanted to go Synthetic anyways.

btw, my car got rear ended two weeks after I bought the Busa.
11doh.gif
It got totalled but some broad doing 35mph as she slammed into my rear while I was waiting patiently at a red light.
cussing.gif
If the gods would not strike me dead where I sat, I'd say "I wish I never bought the Busa" because then I could have gotten a better car... but hey, I still have another 4 or 5 months free from Suzuki, so I don't have to worry about that just yet.
coffeecup.gif

The shop where I bought my Busa is pretty crappy, IMO.  Another person's bike from there after the first service lost two screws due to vibration. . . this is why I'd rather do it myself than pay them to do it so that it gets done right.

I will open the book and myself and read it, don't worry.  
thumbs-up.gif
 But I need to wait for my "Hooked on Phonics" to show up in the mail first.  
sly.gif

I didn't mean to sound lazy.  I just expected that the first maintenance was probably just "adjust chain, check plugs, tighten this bolt, that bolt, and the other bolt".  In any event, my chain is tight and the only thing I am semi-worried about is this burning plastic smell I got yesterday at about 997 miles on the odo when I was up near redline (3rd gear doing over 100
music.gif
).  Other than that, it's been fine.

Thanks for the help.

SuzukiGSX1300RK:  It's not free for us.. at least not around here.  I could use to save the $$ (if it wouldn't void my warranty) and wanted to go Synthetic anyways.

btw, my car got rear ended two weeks after I bought the Busa.  
11doh.gif
 It got totalled but some broad doing 35mph as she slammed into my rear while I was waiting patiently at a red light.  
cussing.gif
  If the gods would not strike me dead where I sat, I'd say "I wish I never bought the Busa" because then I could have gotten a better car... but hey, I still have another 4 or 5 months free from Suzuki, so I don't have to worry about that just yet.  
coffeecup.gif
Dude, sucks about your car. As for the burning plastic smell, was it really strong and you could see smoke? Or was it just an undefined funk... The Busa really gives off a lot of stink while new. It's possible that while whooping it you just built up that little bit of extra heat to get her stinky.

My ride was giving off a regular funk of hot paint and plastic for the first prolly 1200 miles, It still does probably but I think I just do not notice.

If your dealer blows, is there just a good mechanic in your area? Regardless, you should be able to do the initial service yourself. The most important thing is to get that oil outta there. Pick up a service manual on ebay or from the board, it's the bible man...

Back