10-Year Anniversary Freshen-up

It's amazing those BMW guys. They are so sure the mothership is perfect they don't want to hear anything about BMW f'n up the throttle. They would actually live with a bike they secretly hate just to say BMW is a superior engineered machine. I put "Hayabusa" in every post just to make them hate me.

The Harley crowd was like that...... But even they have started spitting out the MOCO kool aid. They are loyal to the brand but unhappy with the current product and wants Harley to do better. Those Bimmer guys take arrogance to a whole nother level. Really doesn’t surprise me tho cause it’s the same with their car people as well

Don't worry this is just how I roll. I'm a second guesser and a constant rethinker. At work I drive everyone crazy with "what if we do this or that". Lol! Inside I'm excited as chit! Now that it looks like the paint is going to work out the rest of the decisions are pretty solid. My plan B on paint was to just have MAACO paint it all silver.View attachment 1600170
I actually like the bike just as it sits in this picture...I can only imagine how awesome the latest version will be.

Thank you for that, that is pretty bad a$$ how much you have changed it up. I followed your entire 2012 rebuild thread and was very impressed with your work then. But now, you have outdone yourself.
2019 is the year!! Hope Suzuki is taking notes from you!
Thanks Bro that's very high praise coming from you as I have followed your build too! I think there are a lot of amazing bike builds going on in this group. Where I think mine is different is one of my hobbies is documenting the process.
:beerchug:

Well took the swingarm to a powder coater who has done a few jobs for me with good results. I think they sandblasted the arm with a water jet, lots of material gone. You may have also noticed in the previous post they taped off parts of the arm at the axle bolts? But that wasn't the end of the mess. They didn't tape the bearings and even powder coated a spacer that now won't slide into the bearings. The guy says he couldn't get the bearings out so he went at the arm with a torch & jack hammer. I don't know how much heat he put on the arm or if there are micro cracks or anything (looked at it with the glass and no cracks coming through coating). Broke my rule of delivering parts 100% prepped to a shop so they don't have to do any thinking!

So now I think I'm going to have to go with a new (or new to me) swingarm for piece of mind. @ROADTOAD1340 is right there are not many choices out there. The Striker is amazing but not my look. Frankly for the price that arm is a deal IMHO - a lot of impressive attention to detail going on there. But my vision is a race bike look to the swingarm and I'm starting to realize that's not out there. So, if I can't get what I want I'll have to settle for what I need (@RedBull, que the Rolling Stone video).

More money, more delays...….
:banghead:

Well took the swingarm to a powder coater who has done a few jobs for me with good results. I think they sandblasted the arm with a water jet, lots of material gone. You may have also noticed in the previous post they taped off parts of the arm at the axle bolts? But that wasn't the end of the mess. They didn't tape the bearings and even powder coated a spacer that now won't slide into the bearings. The guy says he couldn't get the bearings out so he went at the arm with a torch & jack hammer. I don't know how much heat he put on the arm or if there are micro cracks or anything (looked at it with the glass and no cracks coming through coating). Broke my rule of delivering parts 100% prepped to a shop so they don't have to do any thinking!

So now I think I'm going to have to go with a new (or new to me) swingarm for piece of mind. @ROADTOAD1340 is right there are not many choices out there. The Striker is amazing but not my look. Frankly for the price that arm is a deal IMHO - a lot of impressive attention to detail going on there. But my vision is a race bike look to the swingarm and I'm starting to realize that's not out there. So, if I can't get what I want I'll have to settle for what I need (@RedBull, que the Rolling Stone video).

More money, more delays...….
:banghead:
Not sure if there is a diff on gen 1 or gen 2 arms or if a gen 1 will fit on your bike but I have a gen 1 arm that can be used as a core of you decide you want to send one out to be built or just want powdercoated. If it would work you can have it.

Not sure if there is a diff on gen 1 or gen 2 arms or if a gen 1 will fit on your bike but I have a gen 1 arm that can be used as a core of you decide you want to send one out to be built or just want powdercoated. If it would work you can have it.
u still got a gen1 pillion seat?

Thanks that's very generous of you! But I am told the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are not the same. Does anyone know any different?

Thanks that's very generous of you! But I am told the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are not the same. Does anyone know any different?

I’ve seen single sided swingarms from Ducati’s mounted on Busas so where there’s a will there’s definitely a way.....

With that being said when you look at aftermarket swingarms there are 2 models available for a Busa Gen1 and Gen2 so if the company that makes the swingarms are separating the Gens it must be for some reason

Well it's been a crazy couple of days! After all of the craziness over the swingarm I finally got the bearings out and new ones installed. Then I got a friend at a testing lab we work with a lot at work to look at the metal. He looked it over, scratched some paint off it in areas and used something they use to inspect welds and he feels there is no obvious sign of damage to the arm.

After looking around, I can't find an arm I really like so I decided to stay with the OEM arm. There is always a risk a used arm is slightly bent or it has other problems. I found out the easy button on installing the arm is to lift it high and install it sort of in and down. The bearings were very worn, there is a big difference in the smoothness of the movement now. I also wonder how much weight you could drop by drilling the center portion of the tube. Most of the load is on the ends of the shaft, so you should be able to drill away a lot of the middle. Would be interesting to compare to a Ti shaft.

Tomorrow the fairings are due! And the rest of the CF comes next week. Finally headed to a conclusion.

Well it's been a crazy couple of days! After all of the craziness over the swingarm I finally got the bearings out and new ones installed. Then I got a friend at a testing lab we work with a lot at work to look at the metal. He looked it over, scratched some paint off it in areas and used something they use to inspect welds and he feels there is no obvious sign of damage to the arm.

After looking around, I can't find an arm I really like so I decided to stay with the OEM arm. There is always a risk a used arm is slightly bent or it has other problems. I found out the easy button on installing the arm is to lift it high and install it sort of in and down. The bearings were very worn, there is a big difference in the smoothness of the movement now. I also wonder how much weight you could drop by drilling the center portion of the tube. Most of the load is on the ends of the shaft, so you should be able to drill away a lot of the middle. Would be interesting to compare to a Ti shaft.

Tomorrow the fairings are due! And the rest of the CF comes next week. Finally headed to a conclusion.

View attachment 1600396

View attachment 1600397

View attachment 1600398
how much POWAH is she makin after this build? hahaha

Back