10-Year Anniversary Freshen-up

So I took the BMW GS 1250 to the shop today as it has another recall. Amazing, but this bike is so good I sort of have just accepted this routine. Anyway, the ride was awesome in the morning - cool with a light fog and the Pandora was picking a perfect soundtrack.

Anyway, I have been thinking about the new Busa. I like the looks and the electronics that make it a legitimate modern bike. I still plan to see what the dealer will give me on the very Hayabusa I built in this thread, but I'm not 100% sold on the Gen 3. When I dropped off the GS, I looked at an S1000RR. 435 lbs., 205 hp, Euro 5 compliant, and pretty dam comfortable too (it's bigger than a lot of superbikes). The crazy thing is the base bike is only $16K and the decked-out version is $23K.

I got to thinking wow this really puts Suzuki's efforts in context. BMW is getting 18 more horses from 34% less displacement and is still Euro 5 compliant. Yes, the Busa has 110 lb-ft torque to the BMW's 83, but it's trying to move nearly 600 lbs to the Beemer's 434. The BMW has an industry-leading, mature electronics suite, and rider comforts like heated grips and cruise control.

Even crazier is the base BMW is cheaper than the Busa by $2K. I have been thinking all day that Suzuki left way too much performance on the table in this deal. When I look at the Gen 3 from the standpoint of a second hooligan bike, I'm not sure why I wouldn't go to the S1000RR?
The previous owner of Bumblebee went to an S1000RR...

My neighbor was supposed to get an M1000RR but was told there was a shortage of these bikes so BMW gave him pretty much anything he wanted if he'd take an S model instead...he traded in a '18 model for a '21 model and they look pretty much identical to me...but they gave him an option of returning the money difference between the two or a store credit for the difference along with a great maintenance package...

They seem to be the standard when it comes to the supersports.

So I took the BMW GS 1250 to the shop today as it has another recall. Amazing, but this bike is so good I sort of have just accepted this routine. Anyway, the ride was awesome in the morning - cool with a light fog and the Pandora was picking a perfect soundtrack.

Anyway, I have been thinking about the new Busa. I like the looks and the electronics that make it a legitimate modern bike. I still plan to see what the dealer will give me on the very Hayabusa I built in this thread, but I'm not 100% sold on the Gen 3. When I dropped off the GS, I looked at an S1000RR. 435 lbs., 205 hp, Euro 5 compliant, and pretty dam comfortable too (it's bigger than a lot of superbikes). The crazy thing is the base bike is only $16K and the decked-out version is $23K.

I got to thinking wow this really puts Suzuki's efforts in context. BMW is getting 18 more horses from 34% less displacement and is still Euro 5 compliant. Yes, the Busa has 110 lb-ft torque to the BMW's 83, but it's trying to move nearly 600 lbs to the Beemer's 434. The BMW has an industry-leading, mature electronics suite, and rider comforts like heated grips and cruise control.

Even crazier is the base BMW is cheaper than the Busa by $2K. I have been thinking all day that Suzuki left way too much performance on the table in this deal. When I look at the Gen 3 from the standpoint of a second hooligan bike, I'm not sure why I wouldn't go to the S1000RR?
Yep. I think I've mentioned it a few times before.
Mate of mine is 6'2" (and a bit) about 120kg and a fair bit of it is muscle.
Had a S1000RR and loved it. Top model, full electrics, top suspension. He could sit on it and do full ride days. Thing went like the clappers

Well, Suzuki is notorious for not looking good on paper. Then you ride them and that undefinable something makes them really, really good. But if you just evaluate the Gen 3 against its predecessors, it does ok (although a modified Gen 2 is a good match for it). Judge it against its competition and it's not so good. Even though my crazy street runs are over now I'm still having a hard time understanding a Busa that's not a street superiority weapon. I think I'm going to need some really detailed, comprehensive reviews before I go there.

Does the PCV attaches to the primary injectors right? Secondary module to the secondaries and I think they have and ignition module too?

Well, my Busa story has ended. I'm selling it to a neighbor who has been lusting after it for years. I made him promise not to stretch it. I thought it would be tough to let it go but I'm sort of glad to see it go to someone who will ride it. We will ride together a lot so I can still get a ride if I want but I think it's out of my system. Just don't feel the need for speed anymore. Truth is I have been a BMW guy for a couple of years now and I think I'm going to trade the 20 BMW 1250 for a 2022.

Well, my Busa story has ended. I'm selling it to a neighbor who has been lusting after it for years. I made him promise not to stretch it. I thought it would be tough to let it go but I'm sort of glad to see it go to someone who will ride it. We will ride together a lot so I can still get a ride if I want but I think it's out of my system. Just don't feel the need for speed anymore. Truth is I have been a BMW guy for a couple of years now and I think I'm going to trade the 20 BMW 1250 for a 2022.
To all things there must be an end....and a new beginning....are you getting a new GS or something else?

It truly is a shame that she is heading to a new home but completely understand why the decision was made. The current range of bikes are a whole different animal to contend with and it all depends where your heart is.

Thank you for sharing the masterpiece you created with us.

It truly is a shame that she is heading to a new home but completely understand why the decision was made. The current range of bikes are a whole different animal to contend with and it all depends where your heart is.

Thank you for sharing the masterpiece you created with us.
Yes many thanks the BMW is also a great motorcycle you will enjoy
many more years of ridding for sure . The last BMW I had was a K -100 rt.

They are pretty slick and are the benchmark for their genre.....

Do they still make a "Paris-Dakar" version? I had a friend who had one years ago and it was a pretty serious bike....he rode it winter and summer-being he was a former dispatch rider, he could really make the big bike dance...

If that's the same model I'm thinking of(standard, not P-D), I saw one yesterday.
Girlfriend and I went for a hike, and were standing on the side of the Blue Ridge Parkway when one whistled by about 40-45mph, factory dual exhaust that looked like gen1 Busa mufflers...and they had a horrendous high pitch whine to them.
I'de hate to be able to hear that riding on it or behind it, hopefully you can't.

2023 GS. Been fun Gentlemen!
So Willie you aren't gonna just leave is like this are ya??? All the o.g.'s seem to leaving and you've been around long enough to know that just because the busa is gone doesn't mean you need to go. I was hoping to see some pics of you letting that busa go so I could see the tear in your eyes :laugh: or maybe a video so we can see you chasing after him with that 12 gauge telling him to bring it back:lol:. Aside from it not being red in color it is one of my top 3 favorites I've ever seen and would have loved to own it. Idk if I'll be able to ever get mine to the level of what your was and I do understand you having to move on since I've caught myself really enjoying a lot of the cruisers I've been test riding at my shop and find myself thinking more and more on getting another one I just hope I don't have to give up the busa to get one. If your ever in Detroit and get an itch to climb aboard another busa let me know and the keys are yours but I'm sure it'd be far less enjoyable compared to yours. :beerchug:

200.gif

View attachment 1655229
Now we will be awaiting he match up between the gen 3 and ZX14R...I think the lines are more blurred with the gen 3 and it's power delivery...

Back