10-Year Anniversary Freshen-up

You should go ride one. You can at most BMW dealers. With the boxer engine the weight of the engine is really low in the frame and coupled width the crank rotating perpendicular to the standard setup this bike will lay over on it's side like no bike I have ridden. Just rolling the bike around it feels light as a feather. It's a bit lighter than a Busa at 540ish lbs. but feels a lot lighter. I was a pretty committed boxer snob but after an hour on one I realized this bike is special. I rode it for 3 hours and I was really sold on it. It's not the slow old people's bike I expected, it's a bit of a hooligan. Wheelies, good acceleration, amazing handling, BMW's magic brakes and the Wishbone front end. And on top of all that it can go off road. Sounds like a good camping companion!

Lighter than a Busa? I see differing statements from google about the weight of our bikes. A gen1 is under 500 and a Gen2 is nearly 600? 478 vs 586? BTW Arch, you should like the handling and the standard seating position. The weight down low feels good in the corners. An old friend of mine had an R6, a ‘69 I think. He was shorter than c10 so he put a Cobra banana seat in place of the high stocker so he could reach the ground. Was a beautiful black with white pinstriping. Being that old, the suspension jacking with the throttle opening and closing was really something!

I suppose they’ve fixed that by now. :D

Willie I plan to ride one . The GSA is heavier than the GS by bit ,but man wish I could manage the GSA for its extra tank volume.
However it's just to tall ,and top heavy loaded up for me . If I make it it would be GS low version. :( .
CBX gen 2 is truly 586 wet on a bird .
99,and 2000 gen 1 were the lightest with the alum sub frames coming in 550 ish wet .
Gen 1 had lighter catless exhaust system.

Wee little me a few years ago on a 1200 GSA. I'm also waiting to see the improvements in person on a DL1000
2020 . Not quiet BMW power but easier on my pocket book lol

20171027_122714.jpg

Wee little me a few years ago on a 1200 GSA. I'm also waiting to see the improvements in person on a DL1000
2020 . Not quiet BMW power but easier on my pocket book lol

View attachment 1613416

...the VStrom is easier on the pocket book for maintenance too...a friend of mine bought the 1000 but found it too big so traded it for it's smaller brother....

New toys are always fun though....

Last edited:
My 2020 BMW 1250 GS Review:

After a lot of miles in a few days on the 2020 BMW 1250, I thought I would tell you all about it. I think the best way to describe this bike is quirky. It has a quirky boxer engine, quirky front suspension without forks, odd sized spoked wheels, and a bunch of other novel approaches to design.

Quirky is good when it works, and the 1250 comes off as the perfect little do it all performer. It does require certain riding style adjustments, but once you make the adjustments the reward is a bike that does what you ask it to in most all situations. For example, I kept reaching my knee out for corners only to find a huge cylinder had gotten to the spot first! After an hour of riding I realized there is no need to hop around the seat on this bike. Just stay calm, keep your cheeks centered on the seat and roll into the turn and the 1250 will amaze you.

The 1250 is tall in its standard form. The seat is listed at a whopping 33.46” tall, and the passenger seat is considerably taller than that – and with the side bags the bike is also wide. So, when you lift a leg there is a lot of stuff to clear and it’s difficult for my 30-inch inseam. Probably could have gone with the lower seat and suspension option but I have everything in the low position, so the seat height is more like 31”. Once aboard though things are basically perfect. The bike does have a BMW seating position (which means the pegs are directly under you more or less), but I don’t anticipate needing to change much. Even the seat is passable!

It is ironic however that the flat twin engine has kept me from even considering this bike. As it turns out it is that flat twin that makes the GS so special. Not only does this engine have grunt, but thanks to the variable valve timing it sings to. Honestly as a 10-year Busa pilot, I would love 20-30 more HP. But what’s there is more than enough to put a smile on your face and accommodate some gentlemanly hooliganing. The transmission takes some schooling. 1st & 2nd ratios are clearly set for the dirt and the transition to the “street gears” is a bit abrupt. I finally found myself using the clutch on the first 2 gears and using the shift assist on 3-6. This however is the 1250’s lone obvious compromise to it’s do it all mission. Frankly, fueling on the engine is a bit sloppy, as I am learning is par for the course with BMW’s. There is a hole in the power around 4K that feels like Euro 4. I already ordered a Bren ECU flash.

However, the most important contribution from the boxer may not be its power. The balance on this bike is stunningly good. It feels as light as a feather on the road and pushing it around the garage too. Turning is so easy you will not believe that happened. The bars feel like they are horns on a Texas bull and the leverage you have on the front end would make a Cowboy blush. There is no doubt this bike will ride around the outside (or inside) of many sport bikes. You’ll blow by with a big grin on your face cause you know they just didn’t see that coming.

But the incredible handling is not all due to the other worldly balance. The duo-lever suspension does its magic here just like it did on the K1600 GT. It takes some time to learn to trust this setup (you trade feel for amazing stability), but when you get over it not doing what forks do, you start to really forget those dips and dives that used to make the old buttocks pucker. You can turn under full braking and there is no dive at all. This setup works best when you keep pressure on it in the turn, so the throttle work is a bit different than a typical forked bike. The ESA on BMW’s is amazing. You can feel the bike search for the proper sag, then you’re off. After that, it just seems like a bike with great legs.

Brakes are magnificent. They are strong, progressive and massively confidence inspiring. The TC is very stealthy too, never over playing its hand and taking the reins from you. BMW really has the secret to making electronics make you think it’s all you. They have a consistent, natural feel that some bikes lack.
Did I mention the TFT instrument cluster? Cool and it works too. You can see it in the brightest sun even in the leans when the sun comes around to the back and is right on the face. Pretty cool.

So, what don’t I like? BMW screwed the pooch again on blue tooth connectivity. Here’s a hint: Keep the bike off while connecting stuff and leave the bike out of the network. The stock saddle bags would have a hard time calling themselves briefcases. You’ll need a top case to travel. I don’t like the step between the rider and passenger’s seats. I need to slide back more to stretch the legs (but of course, the bike feels really awesome standing up too). The wind protection is not great compared to the K1600 but pretty good compared to the Busa. The shield adjusts but I almost broke the screw adjuster before I realized that was the best I was going to get. Looking for a taller aftermarket screen now. You have to get the crash bars on this bike. It is very easy to ground hard parts with the way this thing turns. I certainly would welcome the larger fuel capacity of the GSA, but the tank is adequate for most riding. And finally, I already miss the adaptive headlight on the K1600, that thing was like alien technology or something!

All in all, the 1250 series are amazing bikes that are as fun to ride as they are capable adventurers. This bike is a best seller year in and year out, and the dedication to perfecting it by BMW is very apparent.

My 2020 BMW 1250 GS Review:

After a lot of miles in a few days on the 2020 BMW 1250, I thought I would tell you all about it. I think the best way to describe this bike is quirky. It has a quirky boxer engine, quirky front suspension without forks, odd sized spoked wheels, and a bunch of other novel approaches to design.

Quirky is good when it works, and the 1250 comes off as the perfect little do it all performer. It does require certain riding style adjustments, but once you make the adjustments the reward is a bike that does what you ask it to in most all situations. For example, I kept reaching my knee out for corners only to find a huge cylinder had gotten to the spot first! After an hour of riding I realized there is no need to hop around the seat on this bike. Just stay calm, keep your cheeks centered on the seat and roll into the turn and the 1250 will amaze you.

The 1250 is tall in its standard form. The seat is listed at a whopping 33.46” tall, and the passenger seat is considerably taller than that – and with the side bags the bike is also wide. So, when you lift a leg there is a lot of stuff to clear and it’s difficult for my 30-inch inseam. Probably could have gone with the lower seat and suspension option but I have everything in the low position, so the seat height is more like 31”. Once aboard though things are basically perfect. The bike does have a BMW seating position (which means the pegs are directly under you more or less), but I don’t anticipate needing to change much. Even the seat is passable!

It is ironic however that the flat twin engine has kept me from even considering this bike. As it turns out it is that flat twin that makes the GS so special. Not only does this engine have grunt, but thanks to the variable valve timing it sings to. Honestly as a 10-year Busa pilot, I would love 20-30 more HP. But what’s there is more than enough to put a smile on your face and accommodate some gentlemanly hooliganing. The transmission takes some schooling. 1st & 2nd ratios are clearly set for the dirt and the transition to the “street gears” is a bit abrupt. I finally found myself using the clutch on the first 2 gears and using the shift assist on 3-6. This however is the 1250’s lone obvious compromise to it’s do it all mission. Frankly, fueling on the engine is a bit sloppy, as I am learning is par for the course with BMW’s. There is a hole in the power around 4K that feels like Euro 4. I already ordered a Bren ECU flash.

However, the most important contribution from the boxer may not be its power. The balance on this bike is stunningly good. It feels as light as a feather on the road and pushing it around the garage too. Turning is so easy you will not believe that happened. The bars feel like they are horns on a Texas bull and the leverage you have on the front end would make a Cowboy blush. There is no doubt this bike will ride around the outside (or inside) of many sport bikes. You’ll blow by with a big grin on your face cause you know they just didn’t see that coming.

But the incredible handling is not all due to the other worldly balance. The duo-lever suspension does its magic here just like it did on the K1600 GT. It takes some time to learn to trust this setup (you trade feel for amazing stability), but when you get over it not doing what forks do, you start to really forget those dips and dives that used to make the old buttocks pucker. You can turn under full braking and there is no dive at all. This setup works best when you keep pressure on it in the turn, so the throttle work is a bit different than a typical forked bike. The ESA on BMW’s is amazing. You can feel the bike search for the proper sag, then you’re off. After that, it just seems like a bike with great legs.

Brakes are magnificent. They are strong, progressive and massively confidence inspiring. The TC is very stealthy too, never over playing its hand and taking the reins from you. BMW really has the secret to making electronics make you think it’s all you. They have a consistent, natural feel that some bikes lack.
Did I mention the TFT instrument cluster? Cool and it works too. You can see it in the brightest sun even in the leans when the sun comes around to the back and is right on the face. Pretty cool.

So, what don’t I like? BMW screwed the pooch again on blue tooth connectivity. Here’s a hint: Keep the bike off while connecting stuff and leave the bike out of the network. The stock saddle bags would have a hard time calling themselves briefcases. You’ll need a top case to travel. I don’t like the step between the rider and passenger’s seats. I need to slide back more to stretch the legs (but of course, the bike feels really awesome standing up too). The wind protection is not great compared to the K1600 but pretty good compared to the Busa. The shield adjusts but I almost broke the screw adjuster before I realized that was the best I was going to get. Looking for a taller aftermarket screen now. You have to get the crash bars on this bike. It is very easy to ground hard parts with the way this thing turns. I certainly would welcome the larger fuel capacity of the GSA, but the tank is adequate for most riding. And finally, I already miss the adaptive headlight on the K1600, that thing was like alien technology or something!

All in all, the 1250 series are amazing bikes that are as fun to ride as they are capable adventurers. This bike is a best seller year in and year out, and the dedication to perfecting it by BMW is very apparent.
Great write up. If you could only keep one, which would you choose? This or the Busa?

Thank you for the information , and time it took to tell us . What does the ECU flash correct , and run price wise ?

Thank you for the information , and time it took to tell us . What does the ECU flash correct , and run price wise ?
No problem. I posted this on the BMW forum so I just copied it here. The Bren tune just smooths out the throttle response and picks up the engine a bit. Very similar to a BCP ECU flash on the Hayabusa. You can send in send them your ECU for $695 or get a flasher for $895 (2019+ BMW R 1250 GS STAGE 1 (Mail-In)). Frankly, I am spoiled by the Busa' exceptional throttle response and smooth progressive power delivery, so most anything I ride is unacceptable. My K1600 was unrideable due to a huge hole in the pickup where the engine left you completely powerless. The 1250 is actually fine, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist. Also BMWs are very dependent on the computer, so they need to be updated periodically. This can erase the flash, so many prefer the flasher so they can update it again themselves.

I am still new to the bike but I am very impressed. Things seem to really work well and I'm starting to explore the limits more. It's funny but I didn't realize how much time and effort I spend moving around the seat. On the GS, you just turn! The bike is not too expensive IMHO (unless you buy a dang K1600 first), it's within a couple thousand of most in the class. For what you get, it's just a little over-priced, Lol! Careful of the options as they add quickly. I got a base GS with saddle bags (the plastic ones). If you go used look for an 18+ to get the 1250 and the TFT dash. These bikes have been good for awhile though, so older models will please too. The KTM is more aggressive but less refined. Good bike though. The Tiger is not in this class and the Yamaha not even worth considering IMHO. The Honda is a big dirt bike.

If I was looking for an alternative to this bike, I would go with the Suzuki. Although I haven't ridden it, it gets great reviews, looks fantastic, has all the necessary gadgets, and it's nearly $5K cheaper than the BMW you will buy at a dealer (those options). Used GS/GSA's are not easy to find and they get good money. If you find a good one scoop it up!

Glad you are having gun on your new toy.

I found even my brother's RT was very deceptive in both how it handled and cruised and high(er) speeds.

It was very quiet and very little wind hit me when out one day...I looked down at the speedo and was doing 90 mph! It was so smooth and relaxed that I felt like I was going much slower..

Great bikes, you made a good choice going with this particular one.

Think I posted these somewhere already. You don't even have to wash a BMW, just ride the hell out of it assuming it doesn't break down. My kind of bike man I hate polishing chrome. Now that the Busa is a celebrity I have to clean it all the time too.

View attachment 1614990

View attachment 1614991

When you do clean it up you’ll find debri in all the forward facing ares, around the lights, the front of the motor and cylinders and the area above the fender, I’m having to do that on my Kaw and it’s not nearly as easy as cleaning the Busa. Not nearly as bad as keeping the front of the CBX was though.

Son of a B@#$%h! Recalls already on the new BMW, just unbelievable. BMW really needs to get their chit together, this is frickin crazy! Not sure mine is on this list as it's not all 1250s, about 60 in the US. Funny with the K16 I was livid about it, but with this bike I'm just hoping they don't take it away from me for too long!

1585602795366.png

Son of a B@#$%h! Recalls already on the new BMW, just unbelievable. BMW really needs to get their chit together, this is frickin crazy! Not sure mine is on this list as it's not all 1250s, about 60 in the US. Funny with the K16 I was livid about it, but with this bike I'm just hoping they don't take it away from me for too long!

View attachment 1615919

The cap shouldn’t be a problem but a swingarm pivot pin? I doubt I’m the only one who was surprised at your decision to buy another BMW after your experience with the 1600. No recalls on my Kaw BTW. :poke: :D

I'd drive that thing right through the showroom window.....

At least they are simple enough recalls (for now).

That's unacceptable. I was kinda surprised you went with another BMW too, and I hope you don't regret the decision. All companies have recalls, but this has gotta be starting to annoy you.

The cap shouldn’t be a problem but a swingarm pivot pin? I doubt I’m the only one who was surprised at your decision to buy another BMW after your experience with the 1600. No recalls on my Kaw BTW. :poke: :D
Kawasaki? Kinda like saying I ain't got to worry about other fellers with an ugly woman! Lol!

So I went back to BMW because literally I could get nothing at all for a trade on the K16. I couldn't even sell it myself as people are afraid of them with the transmission issues. I actually had a Honda dealer refuse to take the bike - wouldn't even make me an offer. It's funny, but even when they suck BMWs are special motorcycles. They are complicated, expensive, temperamental, ingenious, at times frustrating and other times exhilarating. But you always get the feeling that every inch of this bike was poured over by an engineer trying to raise the definition of excellence. Some times they are successful, other times not so much, lol.

The other day I got cut off by a left turner. I headed off the road and jumped the drainage ditch dirt bike style and was on my way. With this bike the possibilities feel endless. I pass roads and think , "oh I can go there now too." Where the Busa makes you feel like Superman, the BMW makes you feel like Batman - an ordinary human with one hell of a utility belt. I really feel like I own 2 legends, both master pieces in their own right.

Still, BMW has got to put a stop to this recall business.

Back