10,000 Mile Service On A Gen Ii

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Got all the parts in for my 10,000 mile service and it came in around $100.00

Could have been a lot cheaper, but I use real expensive oil to try and find something which maintains viscosity after around 5,000 miles and a few years in the bike. So far everything I have analysed drops viscosity after around 600 miles. (Mobil, Shell, Amsoil) I don't believe in the myth that oil degrades after time if a vehicle is parked inside a closed garage, however I analyse at each change to see what is happening with the oil and the motor. This test will be interesting, to see if Sylkolene Pro + 5w40 is worth it's expensive costs.

Also, I do not clean air filters, rather replace with stock new. Then there is a coolant change and a brake-clutch fluid change in the works.

Now I have to try and figure out why the Busa is way cheaper to service than my 15lb. pro-bike in the pick. Crazy!!!

IMG_0519_zpsjhz5tjbs.jpg

Got all the parts in for my 10,000 mile service and it came in around $100.00

Could have been a lot cheaper, but I use real expensive oil to try and find something which maintains viscosity after around 5,000 miles and a few years in the bike. So far everything I have analysed drops viscosity after around 600 miles. (Mobil, Shell, Amsoil) I don't believe in the myth that oil degrades after time if a vehicle is parked inside a closed garage, however I analyse at each change to see what is happening with the oil and the motor. This test will be interesting, to see if Sylkolene Pro + 5w40 is worth it's expensive costs.

Also, I do not clean air filters, rather replace with stock new. Then there is a coolant change and a brake-clutch fluid change in the works.

Now I have to try and figure out why the Busa is way cheaper to service than my 15lb. pro-bike in the pick. Crazy!!!

View attachment 1574511
The Busa is cheaper because it isn't a piece of exotic Italian artwork.

I love your scientific approach. What temperature are you measuring the viscosity at, and how did you determine the temperature?
I send a small sample to Blacstone Labs, they do the analysis according to industry practices and send me a report. First time I try a new oil I send two samples, being virgin unused and one out of the bike. I would have to go look to see what temperatures they test at, there are two temperatures, but a standard industry test.

Last edited:
Ah the professional oil analysis, heard of that.

When you submitted oil for testing, had you done several oil changes in a row with the identical oil? If not, the excess old oil, for example pooled in the transmission, is "contaminating" (for lack of a better word) the formula of the new oil. This would explain the viscosity of the new oil lowering after only a few miles.

Ah the professional oil analysis, heard of that.

When you submitted oil for testing, had you done several oil changes in a row with the identical oil? If not, the excess old oil, for example pooled in the transmission, is "contaminating" (for lack of a better word) the formula of the new oil. This would explain the viscosity of the new oil lowering after only a few miles.
Yeah, I want to send my oil in but switched to a different weight oil on the last change, so I'm going to wait a couple more changes. I do the same thing.

Back