1 or 2 piece suit - and why? brand?

The size should be "little too tight". When off the bike, you should be a little uncomfortable standing up. Suits are designed for riding positions. AGV makes excellent racing suits with very affordable prices.

what size are you? i have a two piece cortech available. i'm 6'2 and 220, the suit fits but the pants are a little short. if you're the same weight but maybe say 5'11 - 6' it'll be long enough. man if it was 2" longer i'd keep it but it just reaches the top of my boots when on the bike.

im 6ft (183cm) almost 200 lbs

I suggest if you are new to the track. Start off with a 600 sport bike and not the busa!! I currently ride a busa on the street and a cbr 600 on the track.

Personal opinion-I would rather ride a slow bike FAST than a fast bike SLOW!!!!

I have been riding the cbr 600 on the track now for 4 years and ready to move up
to a 1000.

Do not scimp on your gear your body and life depends on it, Spidi, Alpinestars, Name brand only!

I totally agree with you, however my intention of track day is to test my baby's power. Been accumulating black points and speeding tickets like hell, let alone the danger zone I'm putting myself and others in. I just need a safe and open space to get the engine roaring. I noticed after I left the track, though I did not take part in it, I was driving normal speed. I was watching the riders and felt I was doing the riding myself, that when I left I felt I got the dose that I need to keep me in a safe zone til the next scheduled track day. If I end up enjoying the idea of a track then for sure I'll look into a smaller bike. I'm also scared as heck that I wreck it. for now, it's just for fun and test my muscle power, atleast on the straight lanes and enjoy as low cornering as I can on the beast!

Drag racing 2 piece.....Road Racing 1 piece! There is a whole lot of down time in drag racing and it is nice to be able to take the jacket off. Road racing you are on the track more than in the pits so I would say 1 piece!

I have a size 44 Joe Rocket Speedmaster one piece suit. Brand new, never been worn.

600 bucks and it's all yours :beerchug:

Actually, this is my son's suit. He bought two of these suits for racing and never wore this one. He crashed a number of times in the other matching Joe Rocket suit and it held up extremely well. This is Joe Rocket's top of the line suit.

I'll be putting this suit up on ebay later in the spring but if it fits, it's a killer price!

For track use, a one piece is the way to go.

JoeRocket002-1.jpg

I'm gonna say 1 piece is required or will be at the track. Best thing to do is study the rules. You can't go wrong with a one piece either way. I have the Joe Rocket Alter Ego for everyday riding, it is highly versatile, but wouldn't be allowed at some strips and probably not at any tracks.

I have worn a one piece for the last 20+ years. I have had Agv & others before. I currently have a Frank Thomas unperforated for Winter, & Syed custom suit for Summer. Custom is the way to go hands down. Komodo makes an excellent suit, but the price is close to custom.

The first photo is the Frank Thomas. The second & third are the Syed.

Michael.jpg

9O4Y2944.jpg

9O4Y2872.jpg

Last edited:
Most tracks require 1 piece leather suits for Intermediate and Advanced classes. They generally allow textile/leather two piece for beginning class only. This is the case at Hallett in Oklahoma and I believe Texas.

I have a size 44 Joe Rocket Speedmaster one piece suit. Brand new, never been worn.

600 bucks and it's all yours :beerchug:

Actually, this is my son's suit. He bought two of these suits for racing and never wore this one. He crashed a number of times in the other matching Joe Rocket suit and it held up extremely well. This is Joe Rocket's top of the line suit.

I'll be putting this suit up on ebay later in the spring but if it fits, it's a killer price!

For track use, a one piece is the way to go.

JoeRocket002-1.jpg

Great deal, but a 44 won't do for me; sleeve too short

a good suit is an investment in your ass....so don't be cheap, don't be stupid with your money either....

if you are looking to spend less than $800.00 then i cannot hlep you.....however, if you are looking at $800.00 an over i would suggest you look at a custom suit. nothing off the rack will fit like a custom suit. i suggest Z Custom Leathers, but most of the other makers can get you into a single solor suit for a little less than $1k.

the difference in comfort, crash protection and quality are worth the extra cost...i walked away from a 145mph crash with nothing broken...and the suit only needed minor repairs(its not pretty) and is still usable.

The RC-1 seems top on my list. I love the way it looks and read tons of reviews which make it good for the buck and all the protection which is needed. JCH364 your picture of the suit and review were very informative and alpinestars should give you commission on my soon to be purchase. ;)

I am also considering the SP1 gloves pictured below, nice match and read the tech specs, seem to be right for trackdays and everyday riding.

sp1 glove.jpg

A question: mostly of taste:

Do you guys think a black suit would look nice with white boots?

I'm in love with them puma 1000's but not sure they look right with an all black 'look'. Puma has the new 1000 V boot which is All black, but is 100$ more. I am also interested in the alpinestars S-MX Plus Vented boots which look very nice, perfect match with suit as well. really like the white puma's though!

Opinions?

1000.jpg

1000v.jpg

SMX-PLUS-BLACK-VENTED.jpg

Wonder if these are any good? Description on homepage says:

Skull Cap Beanie
Alpinestars’ Skull Cap Beanie will wick away moisture and help keep your lid fresh. It can be used in any season, to keep you cool and comfortable.

Any one had a go at one? fit? comfort, does it work? It gets pretty hot and humid where I live so it just might make my helmets last longer!

beanie.jpg

anyone here ever used knox back + chest protectors? considering them too!

I use an Alpinestars armor suit under my leathers. It has the back protector & chest protector. It has been crash tested & works great.

Alpinestars%20bionic%20jacket_310x310.jpg

The real difference in leathers is how well they crash. Most any suit with a couple of exceptions will work just fine for one crash. The really good high dollar suits are usually good for multiple crashes. I think the best crash suit I've ever seen is "Taichi". We had one guy who crashed 17 times in one season wearing a Taichi suit and it was still usable. Taichi gloves hold up as well.

I have seen some suits come apart at the seams on the very first crash. Personally, I'd steer clear of Tecnic, Fieldsheer and Icon. There is not that much difference in the leather, it's how it's stitched together and the type of thread used that makes the difference.

As for back and chest protection, check this guy out: impactarmor.com
This guy makes custom fit back and chest protectors which I wear along with many of my friends. You'll find the likes of Nicky Haden, Colen Edwards, Josh Hayes and many more professional riders wearing this stuff. A bit more spendy than off the shelf stuff but IMO well worth the money.

I have a AGV sport suit, that i picked up on accident. A guy asked me if I was interested...told him no, and two days later i bought the two piece (with 360 degree zipper, and a pair of Icon gloves for $200. I figured at that price i couldn't go wrong. I like the ability to zip off the jacket, but the jacket is to short to wear by itself. the jacket is probably 4" from the belt on my jeans..So I have a differnt jacket to wear with my jeans.

Best part of the suit...It smelled like VP-110 race fuel when i got it...YUM

Back