1 or 2 piece suit - and why? brand?

neoBusa

Registered
Visited Track day last Saturday... All I can say is I can't wait to test my baby on them corners! To do that I gotta go shopping for leathers! Need your help peeps, your usual detailed responses please. The subject explains my inquiry!

Thanks!

Go with a 1 piece!!!! Get a A-Stars or spidi back protector, this is a must for road racing or a trackday.Also good gloves,boots,and aria or shoei helmet!!!!!

I got this alpinestar in 02 still good shape thee made well.
I know prostar requires 1 piece or 2 that zip 2gether

IMG_4885.jpg

I have not done track yet myself either and look forward to it. that said I have 2 and 1 piece sets. Clearly go one piece in my opinion. In a way I think it is a get what you pay for proposition. Quality is everything. I did a lot of research before I bought mine. The range of money that you can spend is astounding really. You can get suits for as little as $400 all the way up to $2500. and everything in between. I ended up getting an Alpinestars rc1 suit. It fits perfect. Has a removable liner which I think is an absolute must. The type of stitching is important as well. Others I considered were the Gericke Celtic that amng04 has mentioned. I think this might be a good suit as well especially for the money compared to most other suits. I would have bought one but I could not get passed the Power Ranger design on the suit. lol. I got mine from MotoNekoParts.com :: Sportbike Gear, Parts, and Apparel
shipping was quick and the guy I talked to was great and gave me a good deal on the suit. Also the suit is perforated so it breathes well. That too is important at least I think so. Suit needs to breath. Im sure there are several other suits out that members have that they are just as happy with. Make sure its a snug fit. Get yourself some good boots and a good back protector as well. and dont forget gloves gauntlet style.

a good liner is not a bad idea either. makes getting it on and off a lot easier. Also consider some shorts to wear that are padded. These are the Bohn adventure shorts. Lots of good padding in hip and coccyx area.

DSC03455.JPG

I have the Sidi vertigo air boots. dont have a pic for those. Love those boots. I use held phantom gloves. Great feel and top notch quality....In the end at least to me, it is a get what you pay for proposition when it comes to protection. Ive spent way way way more money on gear than I have on the bike itself. Its more important in my opinion. But there are a lot of good quality suits and such out there that wont break the bank either. Good luck!!!!! and show us what you get!!!!!:beerchug:

One piece is better protection but the two piece has the convenience of being able to take off the top when your in the pits and waiting for the next session. I have a 1 piece and when I unzip the top and walk around I either have to hold the sleeves in my hand or they fall down around my thighs exposing my underarmour :laugh:.

Check kneedraggers.com often because they have suits on clearance from time to time, (like now). If you go 2 piece you want the 360 degree zipper, not just the type that zips in the back or the type that has three zippered sections. Those will still leave sections of your skin exposed if you go sliding across the track.

Don't just go with a brand, every manufacture makes a budget model all the way up to their top of the line model. If your not made of money then evaluate how many times you will actually use it. I could not justify spending $1100 on a Dainese suit and I am fine with my Joe Rocket, industrial thickness leather suit that does not fit like a tailored high dollar suit. Nothing worse than spending big bucks on something I would only use once then have it sit in the closet for the next couple of years gathering dust. I actually only got to do 3 trackdays last year. Remember trackdays are expensive when you add it all up.

Do you guys only wear 1 or two piece suits for trackdays? I'm looking for a one piece suit to wear for long rides. It seems no one makes one that will be good for all seasons.

How come people only wear suits in Europe??

jch364 thanks for the extremely detailed response. Your suit looks great! I think my mind is made up and going for the 1 piece for sure. I was considering the 2 piece actually at first so I Can use for street as well, and be able to remove the top when off the bike and in the mall or something. But hell, I'll just save and get something else altogether for the road. Alpinestars was actually top on my list. Was also considering Sidi boots AIR, not sure which yet, as someone on track also had them and recommended for both track and road and comfy and breathable, perfect for Qatar Heat. Yeah that's my other concern, FIT. Since I currently reside in Qatar, I was hoping if you can confirm Alpine Stars Sizing Chart. I mean compared to your fit, how accurate is it? I got myself a Joe Rocket Jacket, perfect fit except for the arms, I have long arms and damn elbow protectors are protecting my triceps. Ok no, not that long, but you know what I mean.

And thanks for all those who posted up there, your comments really help!

keepm comin' please

Sorry Double post.

Megawatt thanks for the info. I don't plan to spend big bux but on that same day a ducati rider slid off track and banged himself pretty hard on the gravel. I just intend to invest in a 'well-made' protection. I own 2 joe rocket jackets (mesh) and 2 pants, great quality but the fit i'm having trouble with, especially on the arms area. They fit great when I'm standing straight, but not when I'm riding, they shrink and I look like I'm wearing my wife's jacket + Not protected no more. Since I live far I would prefer to risk with another brand, hoping for a better fit.

Last edited:
I made my decision based on protection, not looks. I really wanted to go with an Alpinestars 1 piece, until a friend of mine lowsided at Barber. He ripped out the entire crotch of a new MX-1, while sliding on his back. (he still has his boys..lol). Based on the Celtic's durability and cost...I was sold!!

+1 for 1 piece suits for track,offers better protection.2 piece suits is more for sport touring.I wouldnt spend 1k plus on a suit.It only last for a crash thats it.Unless i have the extra money to burnt,Dainese is beautiful.:laugh:

Last edited:
Neo Im about 5'11 and weigh in at about 190. I got a size 46 on my rc1. It fits really nice in the arms and legs. torso is good too but there is just a tad little extra room in the chest. I could have gone with a 44 but I often ride with the back protector and when I do its a really snug fit. perfect. When I go out for rides on the street I often wear my one piece. Usually without the back protector and the fit is just fine. Hope this helps in your sizing choices. I do think that different manufactures do fit differently even though the size is the same. Maybe there is a place you can go that has one piece suits you can try on.

And I agree with amng04 with respect to the celtic suit. It seems really durable from everything Ive seen. I dont know about the ripping part on that mx1. thats interesting. guess it could happen on any suit though. glad he is ok though. I just like the alpinestars better. totally personal pref. though. :thumbsup:

I suggest if you are new to the track. Start off with a 600 sport bike and not the busa!! I currently ride a busa on the street and a cbr 600 on the track.

Personal opinion-I would rather ride a slow bike FAST than a fast bike SLOW!!!!

I have been riding the cbr 600 on the track now for 4 years and ready to move up
to a 1000.

Do not scimp on your gear your body and life depends on it, Spidi, Alpinestars, Name brand only!

He is still using Alpinestars, but after going down he was a little concerned about their quality. His advice to me was to "buy a 1 piece suit that crashes well". After a little research I chose the Celtic.

what size are you? i have a two piece cortech available. i'm 6'2 and 220, the suit fits but the pants are a little short. if you're the same weight but maybe say 5'11 - 6' it'll be long enough. man if it was 2" longer i'd keep it but it just reaches the top of my boots when on the bike.

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

Back