1 in 4 homeless are war veterans

DAB

Registered
Linky

And homelessness is not just a problem among middle-age and elderly veterans. Younger veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are trickling into shelters and soup kitchens seeking services, treatment or help with finding a job.

What the heck ? ? Is anything being done for this? That is a ridiculously high number! Sounds like the armed forced retirement plan leaves something to be desired. Is that article yet another "oooh look at the problem" or does it go toward any solutions? If I was rich, I'd build farms way outside of city's and move the homeless there and give them tasks, to feel safe, productive, and healthy.

Our Country doesn't do enough for our Veterans...far too many fall through the cracks after serving their Country
sad.gif

That's a staggering stat, if true...

Our Country doesn't do enough for our Veterans...far too many fall through the cracks after serving their Country
sad.gif

+1

I also think the Gov't does do enough to help them get back into civilian life after they leave. Especially if they have been in combat. I'm sure that does a number on you with the things you have seen...

That is a travesty, especially considering that our Senate and Representatives draw a healthy retirement after only serving a few years. Government policies suck, such as they are. I think any man or woman that serves our great country deserves to be taken care of when finished with active duty. Just my two cents.

sad.gif

+1

I also think the Gov't does do enough to help them get back into civilian life after they leave. Especially if they have been in combat. I'm sure that does a number on you with the things you have seen...
I had an uncle that was a Marine, served in Vietnam...everyone always said he shouldn't have come home and I never understood that as a child. Years later, when I learned more about what Vietnam was all about, stories from my Dad that served there as well, I knew the things my uncle must have seen and done were just too much for him once he was back home. His life was ruined by that war and his experiences there and he eked out a meager existence as an alcoholic until the day he died from liver cancer just a few years ago...

...don't know that he would have ever won against whatever demons he carried with him, but I do know that he felt very alone and was a changed man by the time he got home...sad existence for someone that served our Country, and even sadder that he's far from alone in living out his days like that...

If it wasn't for our son staying with us... he'd probably be a statistic. No way is he prepared to come back to civilian living after 4 years/2 tours.

If it wasn't for our son staying with us... he'd probably be a statistic. No way is he prepared to come back to civilian living after 4 years/2 tours.
It's so great that you guys are there to ease him back in, doing all the things you can to help him make the transition
bowdown.gif

It's so great that you guys are there to ease him back in, doing all the things you can to help him make the transition  
bowdown.gif
Trust me it isn't easy. A lot of times he tests our patience and our ability to understand. But he's in group support now, and on anti-depressants which is helping.

He was also taking sleeping pills, but after a few times of abusing them, we told him not to refill them. And he didn't.

He is seeing a psychologist also.

Plus the physical damage from having a mortar explode in his tank near his head. He has total hearing loss in his right ear (what?
laugh.gif
- sorry it's a running joke in the house) and Traumatic Brain Injury.

He's got some healing to do, but at least he's on the right path.

Now if he'd just get a JOB!
banghead.gif

bowdown.gif
Trust me it isn't easy. A lot of times he tests our patience and our ability to understand. But he's in group support now, and on anti-depressants which is helping.

He was also taking sleeping pills, but after a few times of abusing them, we told him not to refill them. And he didn't.

He is seeing a psychologist also.

Plus the physical damage from having a mortar explode in his tank near his head. He has total hearing loss in his right ear (what?
laugh.gif
- sorry it's a running joke in the house) and Traumatic Brain Injury.

He's got some healing to do, but at least he's on the right path.

Now if he'd just get a JOB!
banghead.gif
Most just assume these guys and gals come home and jump right in to the new life. We just have no idea
sad.gif

I hope things continue to progress with him and the joking is a good thing
tounge.gif

I always studpily assumed the homeless were people that just missed the boat on life and their families didn't care or couldn't afford to deal with them financially or mentally. To hear a lot are VETS really IRKS ME!!

These people KEPT OUR FREAKIN COUNTY ALIVE!! They should ALL be fully decorated, and honored heros for allowing us our way of life. They should ALL get a free life time income and some gov job to do to feel productive. Not like the president that gets free income for life for standing around 4 years.

this country is really starting to P!55 ME OFF!!!

edit: I mean this GOVERNMENT is really starting to P!55 ME OFF!!!

There are so many things wrong with how gov't works, I don't even know where we'd begin to fix it all
sad.gif
by starting over. rebooting it, going back to the inital design. wipe the rest of it out and begin again

when a computer memory get too convoluted and corrupted the only thing you can do to fix it is REBOOT IT. Wipe out everything in the RAM and start from the basics again. This is what our government needs.

There are so many things wrong with how gov't works, I don't even know where we'd begin to fix it all
sad.gif
by starting over. rebooting it, going back to the inital design. wipe the rest of it out and begin again

when a computer memory get too convoluted and corrupted the only thing you can do to fix it is REBOOT IT. Wipe out everything in the RAM and start from the basics again. This is what our government needs.
I won't be holding my breath waiting for anything to change...as pathetic as that is
sad.gif

sad.gif

Back