1/4 mile

hank

Registered
I'm not a drag racer so I'm wondering if you get out of 3rd in the quarter mile. I've been in 4th at an indicated 150 with a lot left on the tach and put it to the stop in the higher gears. I have a 2002, will I lift the front by rolling on the gas all the way in first or second? I'm getting use to the power, but still am careful and don't want to do anything stupid...

speed in gears.
---------------
1st = 85?
2cd = 120?
3rd = ?
4th = ?
5th = ?
6th = 185?
lookaround.gif

I HAVE A SIX INCH OVER SWING ARM . I HAVE ONE TOOTH DOWN IN THE FRONT AND ALMOST SHIFT INTO 5TH AT THE QUARTER. TRY A STRAP ON THE FRONT FROM SCHNITZ RACING IT COST AROUND 30.00 AND THIS WILL HELP THE FRONT END STAY DOWN.. I AM CROSSING THE QUARTER AROUND 150-152MPH..
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

aktion033.gif

1300's got a SERIOUS bike so keep that in mind
biggrin.gif

For a stock bike, I go all the way to 100% throttle in first and second. You need to to get max acceleration.

As far as lifting the front - I don't know what you weigh, but for me (190) lifting the stock busa isn't as easy as some would have you believe.

There are two ways I've identified, barring any clutch action -
1) Get going and let the clutch engage all the way (around 2k) and then nail it to the max. As soon as it gets to ~4 or 5k it will start picking up on you, slowly at first, but it will keep going if you don't roll off. This can be a little unnerving if you don't react and roll off a tad.

2) around 4-5k in 1st let off the gas and then get back on, and it will come up. Much more sudden...and a good way to rack yourself.

My point, you have to do one of those two things.

Best way to get used to the busa is just roll on faster and faster. I think the best acceleration I've gotten without lifting the front was slipping the clutch to get going around 4k, then when the clutch is all the way out gradually giving throttle so that between 4k and 7k I've gone from about 50% throttle to 100%.

Hope this helps a little. I've had a few runs where the front wheel is just barely, an inch or two, off the ground, and it's kind of neat to acheive that balance between acceleration and wheelies.

Jon

Hi Hank and 1300thensum..Hank..forget what you see on the speedo..it's way off..which sucks..so far i have gps tested 1st
2nd and third...1st..78..2nd 102..3rd 129..actual speed i think.
then Sunday..........saw 11,200 in fifth..indicated on the tach.
At 10,800 actual..how do you tell??? it's supposed to be at 184 mph...as per the roadrunners gear speed page..have you seen it?? 77" tire ..stock gearing and so on....I mean i was screaming down the road at 11,200....indicated and the stupid gps sez 176...AAARRRGGG..It's not supposed to be this hard to verify..but is....
Ps 1300thensum..excellent et and speed..very cool..Hands shaking just a little after a run like that..or all smiles?
And by the way..on my 1st 2nd and 3rd..gear runs i held it till the revlimiter kicked in..what rpm is that..anybody know??
Thanks Captain for this website..

Jmasin..yes it's sweet..to get it just right..front wheel just skimming..full gas..aahhh!!..know the feeling from my motocross day's....tougher on the street..havn't racked it yet.
On dirt, yes i have ..tailbone..ouch!!
wow.gif

Kawafaski,

You are right the limiter will hit in @ about 10800 in all gears on stock. My new gearing and set up I hit 189mph on the GPS with about 1,000 left on the Tach. Had to pull back a bit and slow down. I am running 18/41 which will get you up to 84mph in first and about 207mph in 6th. Playing around some more with gear calculations.

ernaehrung004.gif
Good subject Hank! ...Im not a 1/4 mile expert, but me and my brother do take the bikes to the straight track for fun, and to test are skills, its always a fun time and we usally go 2 or 3 times a summer. Some of the things Iv'e learned over the years doing this, is that if you don't have any mods. and are running a stock machine your going to use a lot of clutch up to get a good "hole shot" .I found that the trick is to get the RPM up in a good power range like 6-7 grand and when you get green, release the clutch lever out and at the same time give even more throttle tring to not let the RPM drop under that power range,, while all this is going on your trying not to wheele or smoke the wheel, which I do by working the clutch, ya never really let it out all the way until your sure your under control, then slam gears. Ofcorse if you have a wheeli bar or extended swing arm you don't have to worry so much about eating windsceen and can concetrate more on traction and "hooking up" sooner in first gear.
Im just an amature, but Im sure some of the other 1/4 mile guys on this site can give you better tips, but thats how I got some of my best times, with a stock set up.
It takes alot of practice, and the guys that are good at it, usally have been doing it for a While!

biggrin.gif
aktion035.gif

I posted my ET slip before so here it is again. When I had a stock 17T front sprocket I was in third gear through the trap at the end of the 1/4, at about 135-140mph. Now I am in 4th gear at about 10000rpm at the end of the 1/4 with the 16T front sprocket and hitting 136-142mph.

Busatime.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back