1/4 mile help at mile high

Husky

Registered
Just ran my 02 Busa here in Colorado at 6000 ft. Basically stock with a 16 tooth front sproket and a 4-1 Micron exhaust and lowering links. Ran 11.2 at 128 mph. Just wondering if there is any HP gain by taking off the slip on and running straight pipe? Thanks for any tips.

Thanks for your post since I have been running at 2710' with 6000' DA and i was getting depressed.  I figure that you should find out the DA where you are running and do the conversion.  
On 07/30/05 when I ran my best time thus far of 10.807 @ 130.142 the DA was 5131' and the corrected time would have been 10.08 @ 138.88. I have several other passes on other dates that also convert to about the same numbers. And LACR where I run uses corrected times to license people since the NHRA requires a 9 sec time slip to issue a license and they accept DA corrected slips for licensing purposes. When Cycle World hit the 9's with 600's in a recent issue, the times were corrected up in the tower and they were not the actual times. And it took them all day and every trick in the books with a tiny pro rider and factory crews to get a corrected 9 out of a 600.
Bad DA kills most any drag racing machine.

Here is a link to a weather site with historical weather information:   http://www.wunderground.com/

And here is a link to a program that will correct for DA:
http://www.modulardepot.com/density.php

A bunch of us have been racing Mustangs all over So Calif for years at various tracks and I can tell you that there is a lot of truth to the DA conversion thing.

<!--EDIT|Tetge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123552966 -->

When Cycle World hit the 9's with 600's in a recent issue, the times were corrected up in the tower and they were not the actual times.  And it took them all day and every trick in the books with a tiny pro rider and factory crews to get a corrected 9 out of a 600.  

Lets not forget it was finally exposed that they were running 1000ft , not 1320
biggrin.gif

That was a thread highjack if I ever saw one
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

When Cycle World hit the 9's with 600's in a recent issue, the times were corrected up in the tower and they were not the actual times.  And it took them all day and every trick in the books with a tiny pro rider and factory crews to get a corrected 9 out of a 600.
Um, not sure where you heard/read that, but that was the ACTUAL time, not corrected.

I've seen a bunch of 600's here at the local track and they're all running in the 11's..... and that's in Florida (pretty much sea level), decent launches (no over wheeling, or spinning), etc.... I understand that they're not pro riders and all, but still.... I can't see them going 2 seconds faster just from rider skill. The fastest I saw was an 05 R6 that ran like an 11.2 or something like that... and I watched the run.... The bike MIGHT have gone half a second faster if it had the perfect launch... but I can't see it going in the 9s...

Just because you've never seen it happen doesn't mean it can't.

This bike made 4hp more than the R6 in question. Rider is every bit as good as Rickey Gadson. This bike is geared to run out 6th. Ryan Schnitz 600SS run.

...and that's not even the record for the 600SS class.

Just because you've never seen it happen doesn't mean it can't.

This bike made 4hp more than the R6 in question. Rider is every bit as good as Rickey Gadson. This bike is geared to run out 6th. Ryan Schnitz 600SS run.

...and that's not even the record for the 600SS class.
But as we all know there are many tricks that us everyday ridrs don't know.

All bikes are quick these days and the real riders are amazing!

Edit :

Posting video link gone bad
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|mountainmotor
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123770205 -->

Um, not sure where you heard/read that, but that was the ACTUAL time, not corrected.
They ran at LACR.  I am a local racer there and I know the entire crew.  I heard it from the track staff who ran the track the day the magazine tested.  We discussed the entire thing.  They were also the people that told me that the DA adjustments were programed into the track computer and that the NHRA accepted adjusted time slips for licensing.  We never ask for corrected slips, but they said the magazine got them. I believe the track personnel.
There was a very nice 600 Honda running 11.8's at LACR the other night, and it was ridden by a pro.  It was set up for road racing but the ebngine was not stock. The bike was not licensed for street driving and he trapped 120.744 on his run vs me at 11.829 off a not so good 60' time.
5000' + DA is common at LACR.  It starts with the track altitude of 2710' and then is compounded by the fact that is is located in the Mojave Desert.

<!--EDIT|Tetge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123796409 -->

DAvert.jpg

Eh, I guess I see it as a first hand account versus second or third hand account, as Rickey himself said the times weren't corrected. Honestly, the only mention of corrected times are from the naysayers that just don't understand how good some of these riders are and how much better they are than the typical magazine tester.

The fact still stands that 600SS bikes making 4hp more than the R6 tested have run 9.60s @ 140mph, in competition, uncorrected, over two years ago.

Eh, I guess I see it as a first hand account versus second or third hand account, as Rickey himself said the times weren't corrected. Honestly, the only mention of corrected times are from the naysayers that just don't understand how good some of these riders are and how much better they are than the typical magazine tester.

The fact still stands that 600SS bikes making 4hp more than the R6 tested have run 9.60s @ 140mph, in competition, uncorrected, over two years ago.
I will agree with you. I would have to see it done to believe it. I never said that it was impossible, but, knowing the track, I was, and I remain, doubtful. But, even if I found out who was in the tower that day and asked them directly, it would still be heresay evidence.
No biggie since those 600cc bikes are wicked fast and certainly have the potential to run some seriously quick numbers in the hands of a pro.

I just got back from visiting ft carson co. i went up pikes peak (hard to breathe out there.
slider1.gif
lmini001.gif
Most horsepower made in the head pipe so i dont think so,Mabe a shifter would knock off some

the 600 article was some good reading, seems like they had a couple of mods(pipe and program i beleive) and a slight gearing change. still mighty inpressive

I just got back from visiting ft carson co. i went up pikes peak (hard to breathe out there.
slider1.gif

lmini001.gif
Most horsepower made in the head pipe so i dont think so,Mabe a shifter would knock off some
That is true,
hard to breath up here, you should try going up to Leadville Colorado, the town sits up at 11,000 feet.

Back