1/4 mi gearing question for stg 1 turbo bike

TURBOBUSA07

Registered
I recently got a RCC stg 1 kit for the Busa but Im not sure what the best gear combo I should go with. Pre turbo I was running 16t/42t and that did just fine but I dont know that will work under boost. Some turbo guys around here are telling me to go back to stock or taller gearing while others are saying to keep it geared low. I know im going to need to play with it a bit to see, but what would be a good starting point? I weigh 230 suited, the bike is stretched 6", lowered 2", strapped, and im running a shinko.

18/40 for general works. It all depends what ypu want to do with the bike. If you are interested in the true 1/4 racing you may want to stretch the bike for launching.

18/40 for general works. It all depends what ypu want to do with the bike. If you are interested in the true 1/4 racing you may want to stretch the bike for launching.

+1. Mine is stretched (8 over) and I use 18/40 for 1/4 mile, and I use 18/38 for LSR.

P.

The bike is stretched 6" now, but I plan on goin 8-9". Does 18t/40t get out of the hole hard enough? I was going to try 17t/42t but I cant make up my mind.

I recently got a RCC stg 1 kit for the Busa but Im not sure what the best gear combo I should go with. Pre turbo I was running 16t/42t and that did just fine but I dont know that will work under boost. Some turbo guys around here are telling me to go back to stock or taller gearing while others are saying to keep it geared low. I know im going to need to play with it a bit to see, but what would be a good starting point? I weigh 230 suited, the bike is stretched 6", lowered 2", strapped, and im running a shinko.
I'd try stock :thumbsup:

The bike is stretched 6" now, but I plan on goin 8-9". Does 18t/40t get out of the hole hard enough? I was going to try 17t/42t but I cant make up my mind.

17/40 might get you out a little quicker but I personally think you need to give up something coming out and make it up on last half. Some racers might disagree with me saying it's all won out of the hole, but there is a lot to be said about keeping a turbo bike smooth out of the hole, planted on the track, and screaming low and fast at the end.

P.

VR stage 1, 7 over, 295 suited and I originally started with 17/42, but now I'm 18/45(keeps the chain off the swingarm) and I've run 8.72@164 at Thunder Valley in Noble. Call me if you need any help.We are having a PMRA all bike meet this weekend on saturday. You will have to play with the gearing to see what works best for you.

VR stage 1, 7 over, 295 suited and I originally started with 17/42, but now I'm 18/45(keeps the chain off the swingarm) and I've run 8.72@164 at Thunder Valley in Noble. Call me if you need any help.We are having a PMRA all bike meet this weekend on saturday. You will have to play with the gearing to see what works best for you.

so you are on redline at the clock?

I made a horrible mistake with my gearing. Everyone is right to tell you to decide what you want to do with the bike. What ended up working well for me was to go back to stock rear and down one in the front. Good snap on the street and comfortable on the highway. Mine is a stage 1 RCC also.
By the way if you are going to take your bike to 8" or 9", check out lovellperformance.com They have some AWSOME extensions and triple trees for the Busa.

16/40 and 18/45 are both 2.5:1 Ratios but larger your sprockets the less wear on your chain and easier on the bikes output shaft.

Last edited:
17/40 might get you out a little quicker but I personally think you need to give up something coming out and make it up on last half. Some racers might disagree with me saying it's all won out of the hole, but there is a lot to be said about keeping a turbo bike smooth out of the hole, planted on the track, and screaming low and fast at the end.

P.
What do you run in the 1/4 and whats your best LSR top speed.

I am running real street in Mirock.

60" wheelbase ,17/42 gearing, I got 8 teens almost consistintly without wheelies still got some clutch tuning yet. But fastest is 8.05 at 177 with a 1.41 60 ft 145mph to the eighth

Last edited:
I am running real street in Mirock.

60" wheelbase ,17/42 gearing, stage 1 turbo nothing tricky same as street kits, I got 8 teens almost consistintly without wheelies still got some clutch tuning yet. But fastest is 8.05 at 177 with a 1.41 60 ft 145mph to the eighth

17/42 is what im running right now and it works great so far. I dont think im gonna see any 8.05s @ 177mph right now though. I would need more power for that because that is rolling out!

Back