09 Busa Opinion Wanted

motorman55

Registered
I just purchased an '09 Busa. Thinking of extending the swingarm. Wondering if anyone has experience with this mod and it's eaffects on the street handling. Not sure how much to extend and not affecting the handling/rideability. Thanks:)

You'll get as many opinions as posts about this. The longer you go, the worse the cornering. Not to say it won't corner, but it'll be a bit slower and more effort with added length. As to how far, It mostly depends on your riding style, if you love canyon carving and dragging a knee through the corners, you won't enjoy the new found length. Casual corners and a trip to the mountains on the weekends, it shouldn't bother you too much. Just cruise cities streets and blast the highways, no problem at all, you'll love it.
That's just a general overview and my opinion, I'm sure others will feel a bit different. It all depends on your riding style and goals for the bike.
Some background and more info about what you want out of the bike will help us give you the best advice.

I think that's a difficult question to answer. Any extension or other change in geometry such as lowering will effect handling. Will you notice it? Who knows. If you run with fairly experienced friends on liter bikes then anything that makes a big bike like the busa turn slower will be obvious. If you mostly cruise around or ride with guys on HD's then no, stretching her won't matter to you. The factory geometry on the Busa is designed to be a good compromise between sporty handling and straight line stability. Add to the wheel base and you increase stability but lose the sporty part. If you are looking to put all the power to the ground, then stretching makes sense functionally, otherwise you are sacrificing performance for aesthetics. I'm not saying stretching is a bad thing, but it clearly degrades a bikes ability to change direction. Whether it degrades the performance of the bike too much is completely subjective IMHO.

I think that's a difficult question to answer. Any extension or other change in geometry such as lowering will effect handling. Will you notice it? Who knows. If you run with fairly experienced friends on liter bikes then anything that makes a big bike like the busa turn slower will be obvious. If you mostly cruise around or ride with guys on HD's then no, stretching her won't matter to you. The factory geometry on the Busa is designed to be a good compromise between sporty handling and straight line stability. Add to the wheel base and you increase stability but lose the sporty part. If you are looking to put all the power to the ground, then stretching makes sense functionally, otherwise you are sacrificing performance for aesthetics. I'm not saying stretching is a bad thing, but it clearly degrades a bikes ability to change direction. Whether it degrades the performance of the bike too much is completely subjective IMHO.

Look at you and your fancy words like geometry, degrade, and aesthetics. :laugh:

The stretching depending on length has more effect if your a deep canyon rider, the average sweepers you likely will never notice... I have done a few in the last few weeks and the same guy owns all the bikes. We set them at roughly 5.5 over to give it that look but still not majorly affect his riding with his buddies and kid....I usually use only whole swing arms, but this guy changes his bikes up so often( I mean like every few months lol, it seems) he doesn't do arms...

The first one is the son's first time out on a really hot setup 1397 I built, lol... He thinks he can ride anything.. :rofl:. It looked like he had just one solid eye across his shield when he locked throttle and popped the clutch even after moving a good ways...he has calmed down now :rofl:

The last one I just finished a few days ago.. It came straight from the dealer, from the trailer right to the dyno.. It had never even been ridden on the highway, fresh out the crate and prepped straight here... Suzuki's free financing at it's best :rofl: gets them every time...

Paul2002.jpg

Paul2006.jpg

Paul2012.jpg

Not a great picture but here was my bike before I went to a full extended swing arm. The bike is sitting about 4.5in over stock

busariver.jpg

OK..Thanks. I haven't raced in years. Thinking of some for fun bracket racing at the local strip. New found life after the divorce:smiley10: Lookin to easily keep the front end on the ground. Lot's of riding is back and forth to work and weeked rides with my buds on liter bikes and other Busas.

You'll get as many opinions as posts about this. The longer you go, the worse the cornering. Not to say it won't corner, but it'll be a bit slower and more effort with added length. As to how far, It mostly depends on your riding style, if you love canyon carving and dragging a knee through the corners, you won't enjoy the new found length. Casual corners and a trip to the mountains on the weekends, it shouldn't bother you too much. Just cruise cities streets and blast the highways, no problem at all, you'll love it.
That's just a general overview and my opinion, I'm sure others will feel a bit different. It all depends on your riding style and goals for the bike.
Some background and more info about what you want out of the bike will help us give you the best advice.

Just what he said! :laugh: Welcome to the ORG!

The stretching depending on length has more effect if your a deep canyon rider, the average sweepers you likely will never notice... I have done a few in the last few weeks and the same guy owns all the bikes. We set them at roughly 5.5 over to give it that look but still not majorly affect his riding with his buddies and kid....I usually use only whole swing arms, but this guy changes his bikes up so often( I mean like every few months lol, it seems) he doesn't do arms...

The first one is the son's first time out on a really hot setup 1397 I built, lol... He thinks he can ride anything.. :rofl:. It looked like he had just one solid eye across his shield when he locked throttle and popped the clutch even after moving a good ways...he has calmed down now :rofl:

The last one I just finished a few days ago.. It came straight from the dealer, from the trailer right to the dyno.. It had never even been ridden on the highway, fresh out the crate and prepped straight here... Suzuki's free financing at it's best :rofl: gets them every time...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just purchased an '09 Busa. Thinking of extending the swingarm. Wondering if anyone has experience with this mod and it's eaffects on the street handling. Not sure how much to extend and not affecting the handling/rideability. Thanks:)

Fallenarch and GC have really hit the nail on the head for you.

If you are after "the look" then add the stretch to your busa.

If you are going to keep the busa stock (power wise) and ride regularly through the mountains then a swingarm may prove to be a handful coz you won't have the same level of manoeuvability or riding confidence.

If you are planning on strapping 350+ HP to your new found love then an extension will be of benefit hehehe :rofl: unless you like popping massive wheelies all the time :rofl:

I hope you can hold on tight if you go the extra power direction because your new found love will buck you off unless you're holding on tight....:lol:

Any distance that you extend the factory swingarm will affect "handling/rideability" so you really need to work out exactly what is it that you plan to be doing with your '09 most of the time!

Once you have answered this question then you will be in a better position to make a decision that is RIGHT for YOU.....

Good luck and let us know what you finally decide to do ........and

WELCOME TO THE .ORG.............:thumbsup:

I'm cutting mine down and bringing the forks as far in as mechanically possible to have the shortest wheelbase ever! :rofl: JK, all depends on what you want! :lol: I'm stretching all of 4"

Back