08+ Tail Removal How to

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Had a few questions about how to remove the tail from my 09. Here is how it comes off.

Step One, remove both seats.

Step Two, remove the grab bar if installed and remove the two #1 Phillips head screws. Also remove the cable for the lock. You can gently pry it up and turn it clockwise to disengage the cable from the retainer. It might be a good idea to put some tape over the holes so you dont lock your seat or hump without reconnecting it after you put the tail back on.

tail removal 002.jpg

Step 5, remove the two allen heads bolts just below the pilot seat, one on each side.

tail removal 003.jpg

Step 8, gently pull out and backward from the front of the tail. Separate the tail from the frame and gently move it backwards about 3 inches. Stop and unplug the tail light plug. Large white plug.

2011-04-01_18-38-12_16.jpg

Sorry guys, I had to change cameras halfway through and then fix the thread. That should be all there is to it. Take your time the first time, after that you can have it off in about 2 minutes. :beerchug:

Thanks a bunch really. I was talking to Mark not 30 minutes ago about this part being the only part I was unsure of and you already have a thread up. AWESOME! With the Auto com and programmer space was at a premium. And now I am adding an o2 sensor to what was an already tight fit on the old bike. I cant wait to get things scattered on the new one. Thanks again James:thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch really. I was talking to Mark not 30 minutes ago about this part being the only part I was unsure of and you already have a thread up. AWESOME! With the Auto com and programmer space was at a premium. And now I am adding an o2 sensor to what was an already tight fit on the old bike. I cant wait to get things scattered on the new one. Thanks again James:thumbsup:

You bet Coby.

Also, thanks to sous for reminding me about the middle push pins. I had to move the thread so I could fix it and put the pics in the right order and the put it back. Thats the reason I deleted a couple of posts. :beerchug:

Nice write up. Going in on Saturday to have my rectifier replaced and was going over that in my head since rectifier is in my tail. I'm gonna try to have 9/10ths of it done before I get to dealer so they don't charge me any extra labor.
Thanks for this.

Nice write up. Going in on Saturday to have my rectifier replaced and was going over that in my head since rectifier is in my tail. I'm gonna try to have 9/10ths of it done before I get to dealer so they don't charge me any extra labor.
Thanks for this.

Where is your rectifier? It looks like mine is just in front of the rear tire, no idea why they put it there.

Back