08+ Tail Removal How to

And do NOT forget to re-install the cable for the lock. I should have put that in the removal steps.

I've found it easier to remove the two 8mm bolts and remove the whole lock mechanism. That way there's really no way you can forget to reattach the cable.

Except they are 6mm bolts holding hump lock . If you do forget to hook up the pull cable before you put the hump on , you an get yourself a hook an pick set , and go in through the helmet slot , and hook the pull pivot lever . Had it happen , while a mate was talking to me , bloody laughed his head off , while I calmly got on with the job !!

Except they are 6mm bolts holding hump lock . If you do forget to hook up the pull cable before you put the hump on , you an get yourself a hook an pick set , and go in through the helmet slot , and hook the pull pivot lever . Had it happen , while a mate was talking to me , bloody laughed his head off , while I calmly got on with the job !!

The front seat bolts use a 6mm allen tool to remove, but the two bolts holding the rear seat/hump lock mechanism are held on with 8mm bolts. This is in reference to the Gen2, I believe the Gen1 uses Philip head screws.

The front seat bolts use a 6mm allen tool to remove, but the two bolts holding the rear seat/hump lock mechanism are held on with 8mm bolts. This is in reference to the Gen2, I believe the Gen1 uses Philip head screws.
DSCF1728.JPG

Hi Paderolis , now I'm confused , are we talking about this pictured hump lock ? Now my subframe is DME as stated earlier , and my lock set up in pic uses 6mm x 1.00 pitch black titanium to secure to subframe . This is also AU version of Gen 2 Hayabusa and just checked the original subframe , and it also uses the M6 X 1.00mm . Interested what you think bro .
Toad

View attachment 1583291

Hi Paderolis , now I'm confused , are we talking about this pictured hump lock ? Now my subframe is DME as stated earlier , and my lock set up in pic uses 6mm x 1.00 pitch black titanium to secure to subframe . This is also AU version of Gen 2 Hayabusa and just checked the original subframe , and it also uses the M6 X 1.00mm . Interested what you think bro .
Toad

I’m referring to the two bolts sticking up in this photo, that hold the lock mechanism on. They are 8mm, or at least on my 08 they are. If they are different from others, then maybe mine were changed out at some point. I did buy it used.
1EA9B051-D4C1-4782-B3AC-88B17FB1B078.jpeg

I’m referring to the two bolts sticking up in this photo, that hold the lock mechanism on. They are 8mm, or at least on my 08 they are. If they are different from others, then maybe mine were changed out at some point. I did buy it used.
View attachment 1583298
View attachment 1583291

Toad

After looking at your photo again, it appears we have two different bolts in the same location. My photo was from an eBay listing, so I know my Busa isn’t the only one using the 8mm head bolts. Maybe Suzuki switched them up on later years.

After looking at your photo again, it appears we have two different bolts in the same location. My photo was from an eBay listing, so I know my Busa isn’t the only one using the 8mm head bolts. Maybe Suzuki switched them up on later years.
Bro , they are called metric M6 bolts or fasteners , not 8mm bolts / fasteners , you measure at the thread (preferably) or shaft diameter , not ever measured by the bolt hex head socket 8mm (hex) socket in this case or hex key . Those bolts in my picture use a metric 8mm socket to tighten etc. also , and the thread is exactly the same 6mm x 1.00mm as yours pictured , so it is officially known as a 6mm fastener . I pulled those you pictured out and replaced them with coated titanium fastener , is all . Glad we got that all sorted .

2019 - and this thread is still useful!! Gonna remove my tail this week to get to my passenger pegs for powder coating with my rear sets.. Thank you guys

dears,
sorry thsd. times for my
very careful and perhaps very silly question.

you do not have any gen II (service) manual as a pdf ?
not even the one of K8-L2 ?
which fits mechanical to all gen II except the abs - part ?

dears,
sorry thsd. times for my
very careful and perhaps very silly question.

you do not have any gen II (service) manual as a pdf ?
not even the one of K8-L2 ?
which fits mechanical to all gen II except the abs - part ?

The rear section needs to be removed to get at the rear brake reservoir ya?Or can it be done without removing the tail?

The rear section needs to be removed to get at the rear brake reservoir ya?Or can it be done without removing the tail?
For you Murph

I would say complete dissasembly.......of the entire motorcycle is necessary.

Bad Rubb,Bad.

Actually,if mem serves,you can just loosen the side near the res,gentle pull it out for access.Total removal not necessary.:thumbsup:
Rubb.

Back