08 no start issue please help!!

FTMFW

Registered
its been a sh*tty week.

friday night the bike went over in my buddys driveway. on a positive note let me say that the t-rex frame sliders are worth EVERY PENNY AND THEN SOME. my mirror took the worst of the damage, my fairing has a few tiny nicks and my rear fairing (the part with the 1300 sticker) took a little rash. other than that its ok.

so i pick the bike up, inspect it, it didnt start right away, flashed FI, and after sitting a few minutes started right up. i rode about 50 miles, parked it and there it sat until sunday.

sunday comes around, i decide to work on wiring in some LED's to the undertail. i take off the tail section, take off the undertail plastic, and get to work. i wired the LED pods with a 2A fuse, and they looked great, a good start. i put it all back together, went to start it, and it does not start. i got into it tonight, removed the tail again thinking maybe i pinched a wire or pulled one out, everything looks ok except for the module/relay on the left side with the 30a fuse in it. it clicks, the starter engages. this is where i need help, i see all these sensors and modules and relays and im kinda new to bikes, and brand new to jap stuff... it all looks so different. i had an issue before with my power commander i removed the battery and the bike wouldnt start. turns out i had the power commander negative on the wrong terminal. i did not know where it took its power from and was in a hurry. problem solved, no harm no foul, ive put on 1000 miles since.

on key up the power commander bar graph flashes up and down then shows nothing. is this normal? i never really studied it. no pinched wires, everything looks ok. anyone have any advice?

has anyone ever had an ecm go out? what are the odds of that?? im printing my manual right now, i think ill check the fuses under the dash tomorrow, i wonder if i maybe simply blew a fuse. i guess i have to watch how many times the FI light flashes as well. fuel pump comes on, its not watching for spark because the light/FI come on before even cranking, i dont know what to do.

Wow..

That sucks man.. I would say since it started and you rode it home after going over, chances are something was affected by the light wiring job.. I would undo the electrical work you did and then try to start ?? If that doesnt work then at least you eliminated that.. With the fuel pump coming on its not the red kill switch, maybe the battery got jacked when it went over and it has enough juice to run the pump but not start... Good luck man, wish I could offer more help...:beerchug:

Ditch the power commander and run the bike from the factory ECU... Was thinking Tip over switch but you mentioned the bike fired right up. Will be easier to trouble shoot the bike the closer you can get it back to factory without doing any major tear down.

Ditch the power commander and run the bike from the factory ECU... Was thinking Tip over switch but you mentioned the bike fired right up. Will be easier to trouble shoot the bike the closer you can get it back to factory without doing any major tear down.

Agreed, disconnect any aftermarket electronics and get the bike back to factory. Then you can get her going and then start adding your electronics back.

Im not expert here- a couple things stand out though for starting points... as mentioned above.. start from factory settings... IMHO that sounds like a battery issue. It seems as though you aren't getting enough power through the relay. I had similar isues with my TL1000R.. my battery was junk and relays would click and I couldnt get any fire. I did have some wiring issues that were causing the battery to drain out... but thats a different story.

Quick answer- slap a multimeter on that battry and check AMPs/Volts. That will be fastest way to tell and can be done without taking anything apart as far as aftermarket mods go.

i was recently having similar issues with my 08 busa. After about an hour ride and the bike was warm, it would turn over very sluggish and wouldn't start. It started doing this a week after i bought it brand new!! Then it started doing it about every other day, i was charging the battery every couple of days and it wouldn't start the very next day after a short ride. After doing a little research and monitoring the battery voltage, i found out the battery was not being charged at all while riding. Figured it was the rectifier (voltage regulator) that was not working properly. Took it to the dealer and what do ya know, the rectifier was fried and melted. Supposed to get it back hopefully today. Not sure if this may be your issue, but when i was checking the battery voltage on mine while running, the battery voltage would not increase at all while at idle or revving up to 5k rpms, meaning the bike charging system was not doing it's job period!

it also helped that my friend has the exact same bike, so i called him and told him to put a voltage meter on the battery and see what the reading was with the bike running. I think his was about 13v at idle and jumped up to 14.5v when increasing rpm's. Where as mine was at about 12.5v at idle and wasn't increasing at all with increased rpm's

got code c23 for the tip sensor. im looking right now trying to find out which one it is, i have a good feeling its the one with the small tube sticking out of it. thanks so far guys, youre all right!!!

Just to save you a little time there is only one tip sensor and it is on the right side of the bike under the frame where the fuel tank connects.

got code c23 for the tip sensor. im looking right now trying to find out which one it is, i have a good feeling its the one with the small tube sticking out of it. thanks so far guys, youre all right!!!

Glad to hear you're on the right track. Let us know if you get it fixed or not. :thumbsup:

it was the tip sensor. i never put it back on that small tab, it was hanging upside down.

oh well, learning experience, cost nothing but time, and learned that the guys on the org are very helpful!!!!! :beerchug::thumbsup::bowdown:

Back