08 gearing

tabletophead

Registered
hey everybody
I put a 17 tooth on the front of my 08,still doesnt feel like fast motion, was wandering if anyone has tried a 17 tooth front and a 44 tooth back? will to chain still fit ? what are the rideability results? these bikes have huge acceleration above 100, im needing that below 100 as well. does anyone know what this setup will do to the cruising rpm ? say 70mph in 6th?
thanks for the input
i hope i dont get shot down for this ,the 08 busa just seems more tame from the get go ,than my 02 zx12r

How in the world are you guys keeping the front tire on the ground in 1st and 2nd?!?

Last edited:
dang bro... my '08 will drum 100 in the twinkle of an eye... couldn't imagine getting to triple digits any faster than it does already.... :laugh:

Ive been using 16/43 and a 16/45 . with the 16/43 I used the stock chain but put a new chain on using 16/45. and the no wheelies

hey everybody
I put a 17 tooth on the front of my 08,still doesnt feel like fast motion, was wandering if anyone has tried a 17 tooth front and a 44 tooth back? will to chain still fit ? what are the rideability results? these bikes have huge acceleration above 100, im needing that below 100 as well. does anyone know what this setup will do to the cruising rpm ? say 70mph in 6th?
thanks for the input
i hope i dont get shot down for this ,the 08 busa just seems more tame from the get go ,than my 02 zx12r
I felt the same way when I first got my busa....and I took heat when I came on here and mentioned it as well. I was even accused of trolling lol. 5 years later and thats been proven wrong :laugh: I also live at about 5000ft up though too, which makes everything feel slower. I've put a yoshi full system on, pc, filter, and 16/42 gearing from the stock 17/40...and its a complete animal now :thumbsup:
The 18/43 stock on your 2nd gen is almost equal to the 17/40 on my first gen. I would go 17/44 or 45 on yours...the mileage won't be too bad, it'll still cruise fine at highway speeds, and the acceleration will be very satisfying to you I think :;): I know I need HARD acceleration to be happy, and that gearing with my other mods did the trick for me :beerchug:
I went one tooth down in front with slip-ons at first and it wasn't the boost I was looking for either :(

You gotta wind the throttle back to feel the burn, LoL
Just kidding fellas, but seriously, the gen II likes the stock gearing better. I run 45 on the street and when two up with my wife cause the light front end is more fun. on the dragstrip I run faster times with the stock 43 (but aluminum) gear on the rear than the 45 aluminum gear. On top end I run the 41 tooth. As you see in my little inset pic the front end is still flying with the 41 tooth sprocket. That pic was taken at the Maxton mile. I think it's all in how it's twisted. On the street that 41 would be hard to lift off the ground, but when the adrenaline is flowing through your hand it's gonna fly no matter what.

I am 18/46 with a taller rear tire 190/55r17 and it pulls harder then the stock gearing! Remember this is a long stroke motor and it gives the sensation of being slower then the rev happy peaky Zx12r. It is much faster then you realize. And yes the front end come up on me..... 2nd gear power wheelie from 40-100mph at 10 o'clock! But I am 180lbs with gear! 22::

I'm running 17/45 extended 4 over on my Gen II, no lack of power here.

I went to up to 45 in the rear and it seems like plenty. Instant wheelie in 1st or 2nd with full throttle and I weigh 250. Gear ratio wise, that just a little smaller than 17/43, but the diffence in wheel base might be making a difference, too. Easier to wheelie when you pull the wheel in a little?

Back