08 falling on its face at high rpms

nfantbabyjesus

Registered
I've got an 08 busa which is stock to my knowledge. 7400 miles. Turn down pipes after cats. I noticed last week on the interstate I did a wot pill and above 8k the bike was really sluggish and started accelerating like a mini van. I ran that gas out and put fresh gas in, did some more plus today with the same results. I tried 2nd (which made it to 9-10k before falling on its face) 4th, 5th, and 6th. The higher three gears fell flat at around 8k. It literally feels as if I have lost all power. I ran some Lucas fuel injector cleaner and put some Rotella oil in it a moth ago, but other than that, haven't done anything since owning the bike (in march).... Any help....??

Sounds like it is fuel pump/filter related. How long has it been sitting?

After I put a fuel pump which was a conversion in my gen 1, I was told that almost no pumps go bad. I do not know. But you can do a fuel volume test. Undo your battery to the system and undo your fuel line output. Then undo your fuel connector (4 pin on a gen 1). You will have to find out which leads to run the jumpers to on your pump, but it is not a complicated task. Just prop your tank. Get a small paint bucket or something to measure volume, hook the jumpers to the correct pins on the pump plug and point the hose into the bucket for 30 seconds when you connect the ground lead to the battery. Mine was supposed to be 40oz but came out to 16. I do not know what a gen 2 should be. I changed out the pump and later was told that most likely the reservoir was full of trash and the pump was probably fine. I don't know. I did spray 2 cans of carb cleaner through the reservoir when I did my pump change. It felt heavy. After I cleaned it, it felt lighter. The paper filter is not a true filter, the reservoir supposedly is. I do not know how or if a gen 2 is significantly different but I would do a volume test.

Look under the tail and see if it's got a PC or something installed. Make sure it's 100% STOCK before you start changing a bunch of things out and spending $$$. If it is STOCK, then check the pump and injectors, etc.. ;)

I would put a full can of wynns power charge in the tank with it about half full. then go ride it till its almost empty and then fill it up and try it out again. I would bet if it has anything to do with clogged injectors or lines in some way this will solve it.

You probably got some bad gas and clogged your fuel filter. The fuel pump actually mounts into the filter and the sender mounts to the whole unit. The filter isn't too hard to change but it's expensive. When the fuel pump goes bad it usually fails hard and doesn't run at all. If you can hear the pump whining while the bike is running your filter is probably clogged. There is a mod on this forum where you can bypass the filter and use an automotive filter external to the tank. The flow rate test mentioned before will let you know if the pump/filter is where to look. If it flows in limits, look to your injectors next. BTW, additives do best to maintain a clean system. They may help a little but to get it right.....

7400 miles on an 08 = lots of sitting around, like others have said it's probably rust in the tank and it clogs up the fuel filter screen. Take the pump out, clean out all the crud, and re-assemble.

If you go all that way to take that pump out, take the pump apart. Use your clymer's to reassemble or take pics, its not that bad, just do not bork any orings. Feel the weight of the "reservoir". That is the plastic container that the fuel regulator goes into. The pump itself is just a small round motor. If the reservoir feels "heavy", spray carb cleaner in there until the hazmat team comes. I used 2 whole cans of cleaner a little at a time. Spray in, shake it, shake some more, dump out. I am pretty sure it was ethanol gum and a whole lot for it to feel that heavy. Be patient. Clymers tells you how to do that 30 second volume test. Disconnect the battery, prop the tank and make a couple jumpers with a line to connect to the fuel outlet. It really is that easy. You arent going to start a fire, there is no spark flying around.

If you go all that way to take that pump out, take the pump apart. Use your clymer's to reassemble or take pics, its not that bad, just do not bork any orings. Feel the weight of the "reservoir". That is the plastic container that the fuel regulator goes into. The pump itself is just a small round motor. If the reservoir feels "heavy", spray carb cleaner in there until the hazmat team comes. I used 2 whole cans of cleaner a little at a time. Spray in, shake it, shake some more, dump out. I am pretty sure it was ethanol gum and a whole lot for it to feel that heavy. Be patient. Clymers tells you how to do that 30 second volume test. Disconnect the battery, prop the tank and make a couple jumpers with a line to connect to the fuel outlet. It really is that easy. You arent going to start a fire, there is no spark flying around.

The "reservoir" you are talking about is actually the fuel filter. I flushed mine 3 times using carb cleaner and each time the flush worked for around 150 miles and she was back to where we started. And yes, that was after ensuring the old gas was out and there was nothing left in the tank. After the third time, I took it apart and the filter medium is very fine pore pleated paper and much smaller than you would expect it to be. Once it's clogged, it's very difficult to clean it. IMO this item should be changed every 20K or so. Point is, it's a PITA to do all that work just to have to do it again. I would just swap it out with a new one. Problem is it's an expensive part. Or you can to the mod I mentioned earlier.

Such a bad design. We should all do that mod but I will be with the turbo anyway. Of course I had to do the schnitz fuel pump replacement and should have done it right then. Hell, my old pump might have been fine, I didn't attempt to clean that filter (which the OEM and Clymers doesn't refer to as a filter but it is) because I didn't know what it was since we all see that paper filter and think that it has to be it.

I bought an 08 that sat for a while & had the same or similar issues yours has.
The secondary injectors were clogged.
I took them off & cleaned them & the bike came back alive.

What's up everyone..

Seems I have the same problem

I noticed a very high pitched whine while the bike was running, but I made nothing of it as the bike was running fine.
Then (as stated above) at high RPM's the bike is sluggish.
I'm glad I now know what's the issue.

Now, here's my delima. I just want it fixed but at the most INEXPENSIVE cost...LOL

I'm gonna use some seafoam and hopefully, that cleans the filter & injectors.
But if its doesnt work, does anyone have a D.I.Y. on how to Remove & Clean the fuel filter

I assume the fuel pump is fine as the bike is still running

Thanks

I've got an 08 busa which is stock to my knowledge. 7400 miles. Turn down pipes after cats. I noticed last week on the interstate I did a wot pill and above 8k the bike was really sluggish and started accelerating like a mini van. I ran that gas out and put fresh gas in, did some more plus today with the same results. I tried 2nd (which made it to 9-10k before falling on its face) 4th, 5th, and 6th. The higher three gears fell flat at around 8k. It literally feels as if I have lost all power. I ran some Lucas fuel injector cleaner and put some Rotella oil in it a moth ago, but other than that, haven't done anything since owning the bike (in march).... Any help....??
I changed the fuel pump and strainer/filter worked wonders.!

What's up everyone..

Seems I have the same problem

I noticed a very high pitched whine while the bike was running, but I made nothing of it as the bike was running fine.
Then (as stated above) at high RPM's the bike is sluggish.
I'm glad I now know what's the issue.

Now, here's my delima. I just want it fixed but at the most INEXPENSIVE cost...LOL

I'm gonna use some seafoam and hopefully, that cleans the filter & injectors.
But if its doesnt work, does anyone have a D.I.Y. on how to Remove & Clean the fuel filter

I assume the fuel pump is fine as the bike is still running

Thanks

Here's my offering...
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/1999-gen-1-fuel-pump-service.192363/

Here's an alternative solution...
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/cheap-solution-to-99-2000-fuel-pump-problems.173676/

Last edited:
yes i replaced the whole assy. with a new stock assy.( expensive ) if i had to do it again i would change just the pump. My 2011 busa did the EXACT same thing as yours ;)

Back