08 Busa Mishap - Now Won't Start

65Cobra

Registered
Not a good day. My baby fell over in the driveway, on the right side. Damage could have been worse... right side fairing took most of the impact.

Anyway, now the bike won't start. When I turn the key to the On position, everything looks normal but when I try to start the bike, nothing... it doesn't crank. The bike was running when it fell so I assume the tip-over sensor kicked in, but now that the bike is upright I don't understand why it won't crank. BTW, and this was a mistake, I disconnected the battery thinking it might reset whatever was wrong, but it didn't help. The mistake was I didn't think of checking the dealer mode error code first. Now it's too late... shows -C00 (normal).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Did you cycle the fuel pump a few times before you started it?

Not sure what you're getting at. The bike always started and ran fine. Since the fall, the problem is when I press the start button nothing happens... the starter doesn't turn. The right side bar end did hit the ground but it's only scraped on the end... don't see any damage to the housing which contains the Mode Buttons, Start Button, etc. Maybe there is a problem inside... will take a look inside.

Kickstand? Good luck bro.

Wrong side. The bike fell on the other side... it was primarily due to the slope of the driveway. But I'll bypass that switch in case it bit the dust if I can't find anything wrong with the start button. Thanks.

Have you checked the tip sensor?
Does the starter motor turn, but the engine isn't firing?
Any clicking when you push the start button?
You got a shop manual and gone through the trouble shooting?

Last edited:
The battery was disconnected all night but as I expected that didn't change anything.

Have you checked the tip sensor?
Does the starter motor turn, but the engine isn't firing?
Any clicking when you push the start button?
You got a shop manual and gone through the trouble shooting?

Per above, the Starter motor does not respond. When I press the Start button, the headlight does shut off so the Start button is doing something, but everything is silent at that point. I checked inside the housing which holds the Start button but everything looks perfect inside so I doubt the problem is there.

The Start button does not click... but I don't think it ever did. Can someone check their Start button for me just to make sure? Thanks

My guess is the tip over sensor needs to be looked at.

My guess would be the tip over sensor is stuck.

The only thing I did so far is tap the tip-over sensor with the end of a screwdriver in case it was stuck, but that didn't help.

I have been using a manual but the one at the link rusheriv provided was much better (thanks) so I'll dig deeper today. I did look at the troubleshooting sections but because there is no indication of a problem looking at the gauges, nor is there an error code, even in dealer mode, the troubleshooting section isn't really any help. I'm going to take a look at wiring and start tracing.

The starter button does not make a "click" when pressing it.

Start checking fuses, and do not forget the main fuse by the starter solenoid

The starter button does not make a "click" when pressing it.

Start checking fuses, and do not forget the main fuse by the starter solenoid

Thanks that narrows things down because I checked the tip-over sensor and it's fine. It's a pain to remove and reinstall but it's easier to disassemble than the Gen1 version and it's a completely different design... looks much less prone to failing. Plus, I tested it in the lay down position and it shows FI in the display and the FI light stays on so it will alert you if something is wrong.

I agree about the starter and didn't think about the main fuse for the starter solenoid, so will do that next. Thanks.

Checked all the 10/15 amp fuses in the fuse box up front and the 30 amp main fuse next to the starter relay but none are blown. Searched the manual regarding the starter relay and found if the starter button is not effective the possible cause is a defective starter relay or starter interlock switch. I'll check those per the manual and also make sure the starter motor runs by connecting it to the battery. Not sure what the starter interlock switch is... interlock is nowhere else in the manual.

I connected the starter directly to the battery and it began to crank so the starter is good.

Also, I just noticed that even though the Starter Button does not click, the manual says there should be a click from the Starter Relay when the starter button is pressed. Since I don't hear any click I'm assuming the Starter Relay is bad and ordered a new one. One one hand it makes sense considering both the Starter and the Start Button seem fine and a bad relay doesn't generate any error codes. But on the other hand how the bike falling caused a relay to fail seems a bit unlikely. Maybe it was on it's last leg and the jolt from the fall pushed it over the edge.

I will post next week once I receive and install the relay. In the meantime, thanks for all the input.

If nothing works through that switch (program selection,kill switch)check cable(s) for damage or for a quick connector disengagement.Maybe ..impact twisted or streched cables somehow

Definitely a wierd failure. Had this been an accident while riding, I could understand, but just a fall from a standing position doesn't seem right.

I didn't attempt to engage the relay itself... I probably should have but when I looked at the wiring diagram it seemed there wasn't much else it could be, although I was getting pretty tired by that time. I took another look at the wiring diagram. There are two heavy gauge wires... the battery cable goes straight from the battery to the relay, and another goes from the relay to the starter. Those where the two I connected and the starter began to turn so the starter is definitely good. There are also four smaller wires attached to the relay coupler. Two are hot wires, one comes from the clutch switch, and the other from the starter button. Let's face it, none of these seem like a logical culprit, but out of all of them I'd say the relay is the most susceptible to failure.

I did just notice the manual shows how to test the relay, and it says to remove the relay first. Maybe I can give that a shot while I'm waiting for the replacement. Will report back.

Well, it's not the starter relay... it passed both the activation and ohm tests... so it's time to do more troubleshooting. I'll start checking the four wires that connect to the relay coupler and report back.

I have to remember to call the bike shop first thing Monday morning to cancel the order for another relay since they aren't cheap... post-it note stuck to monitor, ha.

Back