07 not starting after sitting couple months.

Rollin20z

Registered
Sorta of a new member here, joined last year but have just looked and read so far. But now I have a problem and was looking for some advice. What I have is a 07 that has sat for a couple winter months, battery has been maintained and also have tried new one from another. My problem is bike seems to power up all fine gauges,fuel pump priming up and all , but when I try to start it it will spin over fine and will make a couple burps like it is gonna start but thats all I get and then it just spins. New gas,fresh battery,fire(cause it is burping to start) I figured, kill switch is in run position. I just can't seem to figure it out since it was running fine right before it sat. Any ideas? Any way plugs could be shot now? I don't know since it seems to try and start but just not quite getting there.
Any help is appreciated..
Bill

How many miles on your bike ???

Ever change the plugs...might be flooded ???
Posted via Mobile Device

This one has right at 10k, I picked it up last year and no I haven't done the plugs on it yet, actually haven't even tagged or ridden it yet because of winter and riding ones already tagged. Just getting near spring and was looking at thinning the heard and was going thru starting them and trying to decide which go first.

But I was thinking about the plugs myself but sorta was looking for kinda of a second opinion. I will be the first to admit when it comes to bikes I can work on and fix a lot of things but in no way would call myself a bike mechanic.

Thanks, and I will probably go ahead and replace them and see what happens. I'm just thankful that it isn't my only ride.

did you put fresh gas in just now?...what was in it while it was sitting?

They are recommended to be replaced @ 7,500 miles...
Posted via Mobile Device

gas line antifreeze will take out any moisture that might have gotten in there, check the air coming in. just a guess though.

did you put fresh gas in just now?...what was in it while it was sitting?

Actually was fresh in it before sitting, cause I really try to at least start them up and let them run a while at least once a month if they are just gonna be sitting. Maybe that's bad and it's better to just let them sit. But on this one I actually pulled the fuel pump from it to replace one on another one until I got the new one in so gas was drained and new fuel put back in. But it did start up and ran briefly when I installed the new pump back on it about a month or so ago.
Anyway just starting up briefly could have fouled out the plugs with it being left sitting after that?

I dont know for sure, but I can tell you what works for me and what I have seen. If you start a bike every once in a while, and dont ride it, at least let it run long enough to get up to operating temps, otherwise you will carbon up and foul the plugs. I like to never got that bike straighted back out, but then again it wasnt fuel injected like your bike is. My bike sat all winter for 3 months and I never started it, just covered it and put a tender on it. I pulled the cover Saturday and she fired right and I enjoyed a nice ride and she ran like she always has. Track day coming up this weekend btw. Was your tank completely full? Check for rust in the tank possible fuel filter clogged? If she is getting spark and fuel, maybe you have an air issue. You need fuel, spark, and air, one of the three is off somewhere.

at least let it run long enough to get up to operating temps, otherwise you will carbon up and foul the plugs.

I'm guessing that is probably what I did, gonna switch plugs out and go from there. And yeah the tank is clean.

You did use the fast idle switch ?

yep, sure did.

thanks guys.

Back