06' Mirror replacement?

denraweb

Registered
Hello everyone. I'm new to posting, but not new to the board. Anywho, I recently came upon a cracked left side mirror on my '06 Busa. I looked at the mirror assembly, and didn't want to chance breaking anything else. So, with that said, any idea how to get the actual mirror/glass out of the plastic housing? I don't want to have to buy new mirror assemblies. I already got a mirror cut almost to the exact size of my stock mirror, but not perfect due to the fact that the plastic goes over. I just want to replace the mirror. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

welcome to the boards. good luck with that. It's a good reason/time to upgrade, but that's just me.

I don't know if you can even get them apart . Never been there before and tried .

Ebay or maybe epoxy a thin , cut to size mirror on top the cracked one maybe .

This is a mod for painting them. When you read down through it, it tells you a way by using an oven to pop the glass out. Here is what brendanp says:

"I lay the whole mirror on a sheet of tinfoil and pop it ina a toaster oven.
I pre-heat it about 275-300 for 10 minutes first.
Then I put it in for approx. 3-4 minutes.
Use a hot mit to pull it out and then I use a very thin steak knife and pop the glass out not starting at one of the corners,but more towards the middle or long part of the glass...
Hth's
you need to put it back in the oven to put the glass back in to... "

Hop this helps

The mirror mod is done with the glass out, so I know it can be done.

I'm just not sure if the labor out weighs just replacing them all together.

(Punisher @ Mar. 07 2007,08:53)

This is a mod for painting them. When you read down through it, it tells you a way by using an oven to pop the glass out. Here is what brendanp says:

"I lay the whole mirror on a sheet of tinfoil and pop it ina a toaster oven.
I pre-heat it about 275-300 for 10 minutes first.
Then I put it in for approx. 3-4 minutes.
Use a hot mit to pull it out and then I use a very thin steak knife and pop the glass out not starting at one of the corners,but more towards the middle or long part of the glass...
Hth's
you need to put it back in the oven to put the glass back in to... "

Hop this helps
And there ya have it!

if you'll find the way at last ,change glasses as a pair.otherwise you gonna have different images .its possible to be dissapointed with the result because stock glass is not a simple mirror

you have the one glass follow the above directions and try it, what do you have to lose if it fails.they are single factory oem mirrors on ebay all the time if this fails. i think you could get one for around 20/25 bucks

Cool, thx guys. I'm going to try that and hopefully accomplish something. But, yea, what do I have to lose, lol. The glass is already cracked. Anywho, I will let you guys know if this works. So would my regular oven be the same as the toaster oven? I mean it will get same temp and whatnot, just want to clarify, so I don't screw up even more. THx again.

in a toaster oven the heating element is going to be alot closer to the mirror than in a conventional oven . i have a left side mirror assy ill give you for the shipping only has a few light scuff marks on the outside of the housing , send me your address via pm and ill ship it out to you

beerchug.gif

(johnstein @ Mar. 07 2007,20:35) in a toaster oven the heating element is going to be alot closer to the mirror  than in a conventional oven  .  i have a left side mirror assy ill give you for the shipping only has a few light scuff marks  on the outside of the housing  , send me your address via pm and ill ship it out to you  

beerchug.gif
it does not get any better than this.
bowdown.gif

I'm glad someone spoke up with a mirror. I have a brand new set I just ordered that I would have been able to let you get.

Just to chime in here..I spent many of hours on perfecting taking out the glass and what not..
The oem glass is NOT flat,therefore the glass you get 'cut' at yer locas glass company is going to be flat,not curved like oem...
Objects will no longer appear 'far away' as in the oem glass,but more like the natural distance that they really are.

Having the 'curved glass' gives you a wider viewing area!

Your best bet if you break the oem glass is to throw the whole mirror in the trash and post up in the wanted section...
HTH's..

Oh, thx for the info BredanP. Johnstein sent me one, and it's scheduled to be here on the 16th. Thanks again Johnstein.

Isn't there a way to heat up glass without breaking it to form a convex(?) curve? Anywho, I got another on it's way to me!
jump9.gif

Oh, yea, a question for you BrendanP or anyone else that may know...

If I put the cracked mirror assembly in the oven to remove it for experimenting purposes (doing a mirror mod), will the glass shatter due to the crack it already has? Or should it be ok?

No,it wont shatter,putting the mirror body in the oven just makes the plastic very plyable to be able to get the glass out without cracking...

Back