'06 cutting out after about 20 min driving

guywright

Registered
Hi, I'm new here. Have a problem and didn't see anything on old threads that helped. I have an '06 Busa with 9000 miles. Bike runs great for about 20 minutes, then starts cutting out when rpm goes over 3500 (roughly). When it starts cutting out I have to up shift and keep revs low. When I stop, it usually won't start back up for at least 10 minutes. No commander, no alarm. Plugs are good. No back fire. Seems not enough miles for the fuel pump to be going out. Feels electrical to me, but I could be wrong. Any troubleshooting tips, or thoughts on what problem could be? Thanks!

My 06 has over 60k and I’ve never had that problem but the symptoms sound like starvation of some kind, fuel or a vacuum problem, even clogged fuel lines or jets. Even a plugged fuel cap vent can cause similar symptoms. Those with more experience will chime in. Good luck and welcome!

Hi, I'm new here. Have a problem and didn't see anything on old threads that helped. I have an '06 Busa with 9000 miles. Bike runs great for about 20 minutes, then starts cutting out when rpm goes over 3500 (roughly). When it starts cutting out I have to up shift and keep revs low. When I stop, it usually won't start back up for at least 10 minutes. No commander, no alarm. Plugs are good. No back fire. Seems not enough miles for the fuel pump to be going out. Feels electrical to me, but I could be wrong. Any troubleshooting tips, or thoughts on what problem could be? Thanks!

Hello there!

Your issue most likely is not electrical because usually electrical issues are consistent throughout the power band, but you state at low rpm's the bike runs great.

Have you owned this bike since new? 9,000 miles is very low for an 06 which may also be attributing to your issues. Did the bike sit a lot? While 9,000 miles generally isn't enough to "kill" a fuel pump, poor fuel conditions can. If you can try and recall the last time you fueled the bike up. The ethanol blend fuels used now a days are only good for 90-100 days and after that the combustibility is diminished. Basically the ethanol attracts water in the form of moisture from the air.

The best thing as the other members have already suggested is to check your pump. The fuel tank comes off fairly quickly so pull the tank, drain the fuel, pull and inspect the pump and inside of the tank for any debris or gunk. Then try to re-install the pump fill er up with some fresh fuel and see where that leads you.

I bought the bike about 9 months ago. It had 5000 miles on it, I put 4000 on it since then. This problem started about 2 weeks ago. I'll drain the tank and make sure the fuel pump isn't clogged.

I bought the bike about 9 months ago. It had 5000 miles on it, I put 4000 on it since then. This problem started about 2 weeks ago. I'll drain the tank and make sure the fuel pump isn't clogged.
WOW! That was a score and a half. 5,000 miles for an 06 is a hell of a find. You planning on doing any mods to it?

Mods? Sure! So far just Yoshimura pipes, K & N air, fender eliminator, and sliders. Not sure what's next, maybe suspension.

04 Busa.. 3,300 miles for $4,000 his loss my gain

7A1D1F12-7688-4170-A063-09B599DF17BC.jpeg

Back