06 Busa charging issue

mat_rock

Registered
Hi all..

I am from Singapore.
Recently I had some charging issues on my 06 Busa.
After I changed the coil and rectifier, it got better but still not to the norm.

Here is how it goes:
(I have a switch to switch off the Low Beam-stock bulb)

♢With Low Beam light ON
-at idle RPM (1.1-1.2) my voltmeter reads 14.1v-14.5v

-when I ride off, the reading goes down as I go faster.
---if I ride at 150KMH and above, it will be 13.0v.
---if slower than 150KMH, it will read 13.4-13.6v
-----if I clutch in(free-wheel) the voltage will be 14.1v
--if I ride super slowly at RPM below 2, the voltage will also stil be 14.1v++

♢With lowbeam lights OFF,
-at any speeds, the voltmeter will be 13.8v-14.0v
-at idle, it will read 14.1v-14.5v.

The higher the speed the lower the voltage.

I changed the coil and rectifier already.
my battery is Full Spectrum Power Pulse P3. Still in very good condition.

I have no accessories that requires electrical power except these few:
1) LED turn signals from Clear Alternatives(front);
2) LED turn signals rear and brake lights on a FSD undertail;
3) Power Commander 3 USB with quikshifter;
4) Rest are all stock OEM.

if it helps, I just did the top servicing at ard 98,000KM.(valve clearance, timing chain, shims adjustments etc)
Bike mileage now is around 100,000KM.
no problems starting the bike everytime.
before cranking voltage reads 13.3v

This problem is around even before the top servicing.
is it time for me to change the magnet? (The one that spins round the coil)

Your kind response sand suggestions to resolve this will be very much appreciated.
Thanks much in advance.

I did try a search on the forum but didn't get anything much that is of interest. Perhaps the keywords.

The service manual gives clear easy to follow troubleshooting for the electrical systems. I would suggest you follow it. For example to check the charging system you test at 5000 rpm s. I didn't really see a problem with the bike. Strange or not the bike never drops below an acceptable level. Where's your meter tied in ?

The service manual gives clear easy to follow troubleshooting for the electrical systems. I would suggest you follow it. For example to check the charging system you test at 5000 rpm s. I didn't really see a problem with the bike. Strange or not the bike never drops below an acceptable level. Where's your meter tied in ?

Thanks for the reply.
Voltmeter is tapped to the Ignition fuse and grounded to one of the wires in a nearby socket.

I dun have the manual but I shall look for it.
Meanwhile.. at 5k RPM.. where do I tap the multimeter and what reading should I get?

Previously.. even with lights on, and a high speeds, I stil get a reading of 13.8v..and 14v++ when idle.

Thus I sensed something is not right.

Thanks for the reply.
Voltmeter is tapped to the Ignition fuse and grounded to one of the wires in a nearby socket.

I dun have the manual but I shall look for it.
Meanwhile.. at 5k RPM.. where do I tap the multimeter and what reading should I get?

Previously.. even with lights on, and a high speeds, I stil get a reading of 13.8v..and 14v++ when idle.

Thus I sensed something is not right.
Service manual Hayabusa Service Manuals | Everything GSX-R

I think you'll find that your bike is alright, but place the meter leads across the battery and from memory 13.6 - 14.6. If it falls just outside that window don't worry about it because of meter error.

if its not killing the battery don't mess with it
Exactly

Back