05+ GSXR forks on 1st Gen.s

JusPlaynBob

Registered
I've only joined the forum a few months ago,
and one of the first things I've searched for were brake mods.
In particular a radial caliper mod.
I've been lead to believe that the '05 and newer GSXR 1000 and '06 GSXR750/600 forks with radial calipers and rotors as well as master cylinder, is a perfect conversion with the exception of the necessity to change up the springs to a progressive rate version.

I've already got EBC HH pads and HEL lines on my' 03 but, I'm less tahn satisfied the way they slow the bike.
Granted, I'm accustomed the braking capabilities of the new Gen. GSXR's that are a much lighter bike, that are radial equipped.

Has anyone had success with this mod?
thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

BobsHayabusa008-1.jpg

been done

upper tube diameter on the gsxrs is less than the busas, so shimming the upper clamp slightly is necessary. GSXR's and busas use different size rotors, that is also an issue

03-04 750's have longer forks (slightly)

You need 03-06 GSXR 750-1000 forks, axles, calipers (master cylinders are optional) and some shim tape (or something similar) (fender is also optional but you will need to fab brackets to use your busa fender) and 03-04 GSXR rotors.(they use your busa bolt pattern but are smaller to fit under the calipers.

Since I've lowered mine 1 1/4" in the front with the stock forks,
am I to assume that, if I lower the front using the GSXR forks, shimming would not likely be necessary?

As well, how effective is this mod.?
or, is the real obstacle the extra momentum thats carried by the eaddition 160 dry lbs. of the busa?

Perhaps If I wait a few months, the odd ,08 front forks set up would be available on EBay??

Since I've lowered mine 1 1/4" in the front with the stock forks,
am I to assume that, if I lower the front using the GSXR forks, shimming would not likely be necessary?

As well, how effective is this mod.?
or, is the real obstacle the extra momentum thats carried by the eaddition 160 dry lbs. of the busa?

Perhaps If I wait a few months, the odd ,08 front forks set up would be available on EBay??
I was told the 08 to older years isn't a direct swap.Don't know how it couldn't be if the frames are nearly identical...but that's what I was told.

first off, why did you lower the bike?

I've only joined the forum a few months ago,
and one of the first things I've searched for were brake mods.
In particular a radial caliper mod.
I've been lead to believe that the '05 and newer GSXR 1000 and '06 GSXR750/600 forks with radial calipers and rotors as well as master cylinder, is a perfect conversion with the exception of the necessity to change up the springs to a progressive rate version.

I've already got EBC HH pads and HEL lines on my' 03 but, I'm less tahn satisfied the way they slow the bike.
Granted, I'm accustomed the braking capabilities of the new Gen. GSXR's that are a much lighter bike, that are radial equipped.

Has anyone had success with this mod?
thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

BobsHayabusa008-1.jpg
Hello I have a 1st gen busa with GSXR1000 K6 forks.
The modification not too dificult. You need GSXR1000 forks, axles, calipers (master cylinders are optional) and some shim tape, and 2mm (approxx 0,0787 inch) spacer under the brake disc or totally new triple tree narrover 4mm than busa. I have 320 mm brake disc, just need a 5mm spacer under radial caliper clamp.
K3-K4 forks are better choice, no need another axle, and spacer under brake disc.
I had different brake master cylinders. First choice was Magura 19mm. It was not too good. The lever's pull too hard. Second was original K6 16 mm master cylinder, it's a good choice, the braking power and braking feel is wery good. Passed out of original Busa's indefinite feel and poor braking power. It's a real two(one) finger brake. I love it.

K__p_004__Large_.jpg

I lowered it to make it "turn in" a bit better.
The factory set up has a steering rake of 24 degrees.
The ZX14 has 23.5 degrees of rake, and reportedly turns deepler with less effort.
Lowering the bike a little over an inch, pulls the forks back under the frame and changes the rake to about 23.5 degrees, as well.
It is a noticable difference.
I have an adjustable damper, that I use to accomidate different road conditions, depending on how I feel like riding that day. It also helps to manage "Twitchyness".

I like the lowered look, as well.

I have GSXR1000 K3 front mudguard, good fit K6 forks and my Busas's style. Here is a earlier picture without mudguard and too high spacers. Later I reduced this.

20070127386.jpg

Hello I have a 1st gen busa with GSXR1000 K6 forks. It's a real two(one) finger brake. I love it.
Thanks a lot feket,
That's exactly what I wanted to know.
Thank you for the details.
I'm reasonably sure that this is a Mod. I'll be doing over the Winter.

Anyone else have any experience with this mod?

Pro.s / Con.s

this might be a stupid question, but has anyone ever try to install the 1k fork inner tube into the stock busa outer fork tube? i'm amost certain it's possible, has it be done and what's involved....
bump.gif

Hello I have a 1st gen busa with GSXR1000 K6 forks. It's a real two(one) finger brake. I love it.
Thanks a lot feket,
That's exactly what I wanted to know.
Thank you for the details.
I'm reasonably sure that this is a Mod. I'll be doing over the Winter.

Anyone else have any experience with this mod?

Pro.s / Con.s
if you use the 03-04 gsxr rotors, then you don;t have to space your calipers.

I have a set of gsxr k6 and k3 forks here if you need measurements.

i don't have any 1k lower handy.......
I have busa, k3's and k6's on hand. K2's hopefully in 2 weeks. I can look when I have a chance. I personally think that swapping the k3 stuff is easier than what you are thinking. Set on psychobike right now for $150 shipping.

THEN,you can use R1 monoblock calipers and tons of other little tricks I do to bikes I do for people.....but shhhhh, I can't keep typing or people will think i know something about busas
laugh.gif

.....but shhhhh, I can't keep typing or people will think i know something about busas  
laugh.gif
I believe that this all deserves further investigation.

I was simply going to swap out everything from the forks (less triples) down, and use Busa's wheel.
I wanted to keep to an 05 or newer because of the intro to radial brakes.
If just changing the lower tubes along with all the brake "Fixin's",...
....that would be the sweet way to go.

Let us know if you get a chance to try that.
drools.gif

.....but shhhhh, I can't keep typing or people will think i know something about busas  
laugh.gif

I was simply going to swap out everything from the forks (less triples) down, and use Busa's wheel.

drools.gif
next will be the lesson about turning your throttle into a quick turn unit.

or nitrous kits for under $100

laugh.gif

drools.gif
like I said. 03-04 750 forks are the best units to use IMHO.

Many people aren't looking for them compared to the 1k units, thus cheaper.

They are a bit longer thus giving more options for height.

Back