04 Drain plug leak need guidance

Zrultima

Registered
Hey there guys I just bought an 04 hayabusa about 2 weeks ago I recently did a complete tune up plugs and oil change new filter and notice my drain plug is a 1/2-20 and that it was also leaking a bit the gasket had broken off. So I went to the dealership and bought a new drain plug and it came up as a 14mm bolt I attempted to use the new bolt and it would not screw in. I just like to know if this is an issue dont want to change the oil out again i wont be able to catch all of it. I just found it quite odd it use a 1/2 SAE bolt my 06 doesnt look like the 14mm I bought either but has no writing on it. So if you guys could guide me to the right plug or did I pick up the wrong drain plug. Just hate to see her leak like that.

Sounds like someone stripped out your oil pan and used a Heli-Coil or something to fix it.

It's been stripped. Best of luck, I've been dealing with a leaky drain plug for a long time. every remedy has failed so far. New oil pan is probably my fix. I hear you can get them for $60

Well what the size of the actual bolt maybe they sold me the wrong one at the suzuki dealership the one there selling me is actually bigger than the one he sold me. So i think they got the wrong one

I don't know but that would be unusual but not impossible. I bought a new drain plug an crush washer because I couldn't remove the original crush washer. Some one will post up or you can PM the boys at Honda East of Toledo ( a sponsor )

The OEM drain plug is bigger than a 1/4-20 that's for sure. And it SURELY isn't SAE thread. :lol:

well the one on it right now is 1/2 inch -20mm long so that why I am really confused because of what they sold me at the dealership i know its metric but the problem is the one they sold me does not fit.

Find yourself a new OEM or lightly used OEM pan and get yourself the sweet flat plug from Jay over @ APE. The pan is very easy to swap over, just a handful of bolts,

Or your could send your pan off to Schnitz and have it cut down and a new drain plug put in. I think they are still doing that.

well heres the thing that doest really solve my issue if the dealer sold me a bolt that is larger and does not fit into the one i have now but a standard does it means there something up. I really dont want to spend 100 bucks on something that is not broken buying a new pan would be a last resort. Even though its taking a few bolts off to do the oil pan its not exactly in the easy to reach place

Can you just take a pic of your oil pan so we can see if anything has been "done" to it?

This is what your plug should look like (but with one crush washer, not two)

93779-oil-drain-plug-size-9_18_07_oil_change_014.jpg

I have been saying 14mm bolt lol yes I can probably take a pic the one they sold me at the dealer was a golden bolt I have it at home but I can take a pic with the one thats on there.

A very easy fix is to take the pan off...weld on a piece if aluminum...drill / tap it and you are set. Use a piece of thick stock so you get more threads. Buy a new pan gasket and a what ever plug you desire...magnetic or not...the main point being fix it correctly. If you put a heli coil / time sert in it without taking the pan off you are introducing particles into the engine that it will not like.

Clearly if the new bolt doesn't thread in, something is wrong. Judging the fact that the plug that came out was SAE not METRIC i'd say someone stripped the pan out and tried to "fix" it on the cheap. While it may seem expensive now, would you rather fix it the wrong way the first time, have it come back to bite you in the ass and have to waste more time and money doing it the correct way for round 2? Just remember, breakdowns are like flat tires, you really can't schedule them and they never happen when you are prepared!

-D

Take the time and opportunity to correct the issue properly. I know removing the pan may be a PIA right now but its easier to remove the pan then to remove the engine.

Well I doubt they attempted to fix it because like I said the BOLT SOLD AT THE DEALERSHIP IS LARGER THAN THE ACTUAL THREAD ON THE PAN SO IM TRYING TO FIGURE WHAT WENT WRONG HERE.

Back