04 busa, fan question

Kounsy

Registered
i just bought a 04 busa with a velocity stage one turbo and i seen that the plastic fan fins look melted on the ends. Is it from the turbo or i heard that i heard that you can put metal fans on it but i would like to know, this is my first turbo bike so any info will help. thanx

I cant answer your question, but welcome to the oRg. Others will chime in soon with good information. :beerchug:

i just bought a 04 busa with a velocity stage one turbo and i seen that the plastic fan fins look melted on the ends. Is it from the turbo or i heard that i heard that you can put metal fans on it but i would like to know, this is my first turbo bike so any info will help. thanx

The plastic fans melt because the fan motor on an early busa stops when you shut the ignition off. If you come in "hot", and the fan is on, turn the key off, and see what happens - you fan motor stops also. One of the plastic fan blades can stop right near the exhaust pipe and there you go: a melted fan.

Installing your own fan switch to overide the stock circuit is one answer; a better one is installing a metal Muzzy fan AND doing a manual switch along with it!:beerchug:

thx man, ya im alil lost and i seen that you have filters for the turbo. think you can help me out on that?

The plastic fans melt because the fan motor on an early busa stops when you shut the ignition off. If you come in "hot", and the fan is on, turn the key off, and see what happens - you fan motor stops also. One of the plastic fan blades can stop right near the exhaust pipe and there you go: a melted fan.

Installing your own fan switch to overide the stock circuit is one answer; a better one is installing a metal Muzzy fan AND doing a manual switch along with it!:beerchug:

Hey man, do they make a thing for your fans to kick on at one 180-190 degree than 220?

Hey man, do they make a thing for your fans to kick on at one 180-190 degree than 220?

Yes, there are actually several things you should do. First, you should remove your thermostat, clip the "wings", and pull out the center. Re-install it wide open. Then, you should install a fan relay relocation kit - POWERHOUSE has these in stock. It will relocate your fan relay (which is presently on the upper left rear side of your radiator). Your relay gets installed in the radiator hose on the right side of the motor - you then extend the wires from the left side and plug it in.

The right radiator hose is where the hot coolant leaves the motor on its way to the radiator. Putting the relay there makes it see hotter water sooner, turning your fan on sooner. Doing this and the thermostat mod is all you need to do for a turbo bike. If, for some reason, you want more, you can buy the optional relay that switches the fan on at a lower temperature, but you really won't need this if you do the mods I mentioned.

And yes, we have Shootout filters in stock for many different turbos, give me a call at my shop during the day (10-6 eastern) . . .:cheerleader:

Bobby
I have a 05 stage 1 velocity that I installed myself and here is what I ran into
1 the bracket that they send for the lower radiator support did not work for me so
I built a stronger one and a little bit longer and that also helped to keep the fan away
from the exhaust
2 I left the control for the fan alone but I did put blue ice in the coolant the gauge sits
a little below half all the time
Have fun
You wont beleave the power
Its Cool

remove your thermostat, clip the "wings", and pull out the center. Re-install it wide open

Could the thermostat just be removed completely? Just wondering, I haven't looked at this yet but it's something I'll have to do.

Then, you should install a fan relay relocation kit - POWERHOUSE has these in stock. It will relocate your fan relay (which is presently on the upper left rear side of your radiator). Your relay gets installed in the radiator hose on the right side of the motor - you then extend the wires from the left side and plug it in.

The right radiator hose is where the hot coolant leaves the motor on its way to the radiator. Putting the relay there makes it see hotter water sooner, turning your fan on sooner.

Great info, thanks

The thermostat seals with a square "channel-type" o ring - it actually goes around the edge of the thermostat when it goes into the motor. You need the thickness of that metal inside the rubber to make the seal - - find yourself a washer, like a fork tube washer . . . something that is the same diameter as the thermostat itself, and has a huge hole in the middle . . . at least larger than the wide open thermostat hole . . . and use that. That is what I did with my Ultra and it worked great!:thumbsup:

I just used the o-ring off of the thermostate by it self and had any leaking problems. I don't know if anyone else has had any problems doing this. But Frank is right it will run a lot cooler that way. :beerchug:

Back