03 Starting Problems

LOKEY

Registered
My 03 has polished heads on it and im not sure of the specs on them. When trying to start my bike, it wont. it takes awhile to crank up. Im not sure what is causing it. Could it be low idle setting. I dont want to burn out my starter by having to keep turning it over to get it to crank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Will it start at all? If so, what is the idle set at? Did it start fine before you put the new heads on it? Welcome to the oRg. :welcome:

It does start it just takes a little while. The heads have been on since i bought the bike. It started fine when I got the bike but has been acting up since I got the transmission worked on by a buddy of mine.right now the idle is set at around 800rpm. could that be the issue?

Idle should be around 1150 rpm all bikes are pretty much the sa,e there is a procedure here for fast idle

When was the last time the Throttle bodies were synced? How does it run once it is started?

It's an 03. How old is the battery? Maybe it's turning it a little slower?
How many miles? Have the spark plugs ever been changed, recently?
I might add some Seafoam, or something like it, once you get it started again, then take it for a long run,
that will work the Seafoam through it and charge the battery if it needs it.

Like the other guys said, turn up the idle too.

Just for fun try this too, sit on the bike, in neutral with the kick stand up and the clutch lever pull in and try to start it.
It may not make any difference, but it might if there is something funny with the transmission.

If you get it figured out, please post what did the trick. :beerchug:

is the gear for the starter in right??Take the plugs out and see how it turns over without compression.Mine did the same but the starter was delammed inside from the previous owner jump starting the bike.The magnets came off.Also check charging system and battery.

Back