02' Busa,Velocity Stage 2-Dbl.BB Smoke at stoplights

Rocketmn

Registered
Built by Kev at TKP on 2004 with the works. 320Hp. on Pump @ 10psi and right about 440 whp. @26psi. on C-16. Which I almost Never do! Runs like a Bear as always. 8k on motor. Never beat On. When I change the oil and let it drain overnight then remove oil return line from turbo at the oil pan, there is still oil in that line. As we all know there has always been an oil level situation with these early installs. Put too much in the crankcase and oil comes out where the air filter is on the turbo. Rear is slightly lower than the front and the bike sits pretty much even on the kick stand. It doesn't smoke when I'm riding but when I hit a stop light it smokes heavy. Oil Smoke. Was thinkin' valve guides. Pulled the plugs and they are Black but not wet. Pulled the Plenum and the hoses and pipe from the turbo and the inside is wet..especially on the silicone hoses. Now, I have the Motor Ready to Drop (God, If I Don't Have To, I DON'T Want To). I keep thinkin'...What If: All I have to do is Re-Pipe the oil Re-Turn line from the Turbo to the Pan to make sure that oil gets out of that Dam Turbo. As it is now, if I start it without the Air Filter on, I can see the oil start to trickle out. The oil in the sightglass is NEVER close to the Line. Seems like it got worse when I switched from regular 10-40 to Royal Purple a couple of years ago. I Don't Know!! I'm SCRAMBLED People. I was a member on Tkp's site years ago and i would of asked Kevin BUT No more TKP and No more Kevin. Like i said, If I don't have to pull the motor I really Don't want to. I'm an HVAC Mechanic and can do just about everything but I put alot of $$ into this motor and I don't want to screw it up putting it back together. What do you Guy's think?? ???Thanks, Rich...

The early Velocity were bad for smoke
had to run low oil levels etc
Yours may be getting worse as the BB turbo gets older, they were not a great oil seal any way
If your breather is not choked and your oil level is not excessive then a scavenge pump would be the simplest fix
My roadbike gen 1 had an older velocity header with gt30r and i ended up cutting the flange off and removing nearly an inch from the headers then reattaching the flange , and i never idled it on the side stand, but it was ok in use and in traffic

Many of the older Velocity kits carried the turbo too low - the centerline of the impeller was below the actual oil level, and allowed the turbo to fill with oil when the bike sat. I would first make sure the turbo is "clocked" correctly: that the drain on the turbo is straight down, at the 6 o'clock position. I would also make sure the breather is cleared completely - no hose, no filter, no nothing - leave it wide open. You will probably need to make at least one boosted "blast", just to clear out any oil that is remaining. I am not a big fan of running oil levels lower than normal, and not a big fan of scavenge pumps. But, if you have already checked the above, and the turbo itself is good, a simple scavenge pump may take care of this problem . . .:poke:

I had a problem with my '02 Velocity stage one last year. It had always ran great and then developed a HEAVY smoke problem at idle. I chased that problem for a week before I realized that I had put the gas tank down on the breather and kinked the line....that was it, plain and simple. For a quick breather system check, just pull the oil fill cap off and start it up and see if the problem goes away. Good luck.

I had a problem with my '02 Velocity stage one last year. It had always ran great and then developed a HEAVY smoke problem at idle. I chased that problem for a week before I realized that I had put the gas tank down on the breather and kinked the line....that was it, plain and simple. For a quick breather system check, just pull the oil fill cap off and start it up and see if the problem goes away. Good luck.

dane789 - that is a common problem, which is why I never leave a breather hose on there . . .:thumbsup:

LOL Frank, I know.........that's what you told me to do last year when we talked. My breather hose and filter have been sitting in my toolbox ever since. Thanks again

You can always make a Jet, for the oil line, to decrease the oil to the turbo!

Not realy going to help, the drain is the real issue ,
these are so low as Frank said oil level above the centrelne of the impeller
you could just about run them with no oil supply and still get smoke

Thanks Everyone! I feel a lot better now. I have the whole turbo assm. off and I turned it upside down and got about 1/8 cup of oil out of it. I will keep the oil breather hose and filter off for good now. I'll make sure it's clocked correctly (I believe it is). When I put it all back together, I'll Check it out. Right before I began doing everything, I tried to start it and didn't hear the F. pump. Then the FI light came on and started flashing. I just put power to it and nothing. So, I need a fuel pump. Which of our sponsors can I get a pump from? I want to change the filter also. Can I use regular hose clamps before the pump, because everything is tied together with those high pres.One shot clamps. I'd like to get a filter with AN fittings so I can re-pipe the entire fuel line from the tank to the pump. What do you think? **Is the site open for Donations?**

Back