00 Busa Overheating

LukeKban

Registered
I have a 2000 Busa and am having over heating problems. Bike is bone stock with 23k on it. Bought the bike about 4 weeks ago from a friend. Start the bike and it sits and warms up normally. It hits the mid way mark and the fan comes on. Then I sit and idle for a few minutes and the temp gauge slowly climbs all the way up to the red. It seems to take a few extra minutes on first warm up still happens every time, first start of the day or last ride of the day. Once I start moving and get some air flow, the gauge drops right down to normal(a little below half). The fan is coming on right at half way like its supposed to and staying on till I start moving and it cools down. The bike does this ever time I let it sit and idle, even on a 60 degree morning. When I got the bike I would let is warm up in the mornings some times for 20 minutes with no problem. So I changed the coolant today and allowed the bike to idle for about 10-15 minutes while already warm in an 80 degree garage with no problems, it would start to get past the half way, the fan would come on, and it would stay cool. Coolant level seemed a little low but not too bad. Some small black spec in coolant but my drain bucket may have been dirty. Thought I fixed the problem but I went for a ride for about an hour and a half, went home and relaxed. Took the baby out later at night and the problem had returned, idle for a few minutes and the gauge starts to climb. The manual says to use an ethalene glycol based coolant, does really give a specific type so Im using some red 5 year Mopar coolant since I work at a Dodge dealer. Initailly thought radiator had some blockage but then the problem shoud have occured despite new coolant. I heard the head gasket seals coolant passages and some sort of exhaust passage? Not sure. Anyways, thought maybe there may be a small leak between the coolant passage and the exhaust passage causing the coolant to become contaminated with carbon and reducing coolant capability. Any possibility there? Havent checked coolant level again but maybe Im slowly burning some off in the cylinder but no abnormal smoke out the exhaust present. Some people say to add a second fan or engine ice or that its normal but this problem was not always there, only started about a week ago and Im trying to fix it, not hide it. Many people say they've never had any overheating problems even in extreme conditions. Trying to give as much info as possible. Being an experienced auto tech I know how important info is and am hoping to find some one who knows there stuff technically. Any help out there for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 27k on my '06 and it would run just below half way on the temp gauge when I am on the highway. In stop and go traffic, and the hot Florida heat, the temp would rise to 3/4 or so. I changed the fluids today to engine ice. I will let you know if the temp runs cooler after I get her back together.

If it were me I would try a rad flush.
Do not use anything too harsh and see what the fluid looks like when you drain it out.
The rad is very small and has very small passages so they are easily clogged.
Use distilled water when you mix the antifreeze to stop future clogging.
Also make sure you get the air out of the system, as described in the manual.
If there is air in there it will do what you describe.

Hey:
Welcome!

:welcome:

Ok well It's been a couple of weeks and I havent really sat and let the bike run that long but the problem seems to be gone. Topped off the coolant and havent had the problem so far. Maybe the system self blead its self. But then if it were just air in the system then how did it get in there and what did I do to prevent it from happening again. Will be back with more updates and hopfully a good explanation.

This is for everyone who's bike is overheating exept for the guy that got the new busa that is a dealer problem!

I have a 02 last year i had the same problem with it so make very simple this is the list you need to buy to take care of the problem.

1. Engine ice collant
2. 95 honda acord temperature swich
3. New muzzy fan blade

now remember the wire to reconect the temperature swich from the honda acord it's not the same as the old conector in your bike,you have to got to the junk yard and pull one out from there,
the parts store wont carrie that.

That's what i did with my bike and i haven't had any problems been in traffic for an hr or two let me know how it went.

Good luck and god bless:beerchug:

Or you could make sure that the stock temp switch for is working properly. Mine would come on at the correct temp the first time. Then every time it cycled it would do so at a higher temp until it wasn't turning on until after the temps were in the red. If you only waited to see when it turned on the first time then looked else where (which the shop did twice) you will miss this problem.

Back