'00 busa, 7000 miles. Sudden loss of power.

Rideass

Registered
Hey guys, I'm at a loss here, new to the busa as well. :banghead:

The bike: '00 busa, 7000 miles on the clock.
Been standing still for 6 years.
Serviced a couple of weeks ago, plugs (NGK), oil, oilfilter.
Replaced the battery 2 days ago. New Yuasa YT12A-BS.
The bike had the recall fix done on the cam chain tensioner.

Never had the valves/tappets checked, the engine sounds perfect.
The manual recommends a check every 2-3 years, does the years justify a check anyway despite the low mileage?

Was riding along, strong and fast - Just after a quick stop at some lights, I put in first gear, drove past my friend in first and eased off the throttle when reaching some 10krpm. When putting the throttle to it again, there was no power, and the engine was not running smooth but just as the fuel was getting low. Struggled a bit further and turned off asap.

The bike sounded horrible and had no power.
It will start fine and feels like it is going well the first 2-3 seconds, but then the roughness comes. No warning lights or anything.

Checked:

Fuel (over half the tank does exist). Filled her up with some just to be sure.
Checked plugs, had good color. Light brown.
Checked ignition coils plug cap resistance, within specs.

Any ideas, been looking for any other similar problems in the forum, but I get no wiser.. I had felt some loss of power a couple of days earlier and uneven engine but I only thought I was imagining it since it went away. Blamed Irish roads.. :laugh:

Sounds like the fuel pump might be clogged. I believe on that year model, they were in the tank. Is it possible it got some trash in it, with is sitting for 6 years, that would be where I would start. Welcome to the oRg. Others will chime in soon to help troubleshoot.

Edit, and I wouldnt worry about the valves right now. I have 13k on mine and no issues.

Sounds like the fuel pump might be clogged. I believe on that year model, they were in the tank. Is it possible it got some trash in it, with is sitting for 6 years, that would be where I would start. Welcome to the oRg. Others will chime in soon to help troubleshoot.

Edit, and I wouldnt worry about the valves right now. I have 13k on mine and no issues.

Thanks for your tip, will look into that!
Also, if something mechanical broke in the engine I guess I would have felt/heard something. Also, it will start up fine every time, but will start running badly instantly and die occasionally with no power at all, hard to rev beyond 3-4 krpm. I'll continue to plow the forum for knowledge,

Thanks again for taking your time reading this! :bowdown:

Also, read this at another FAQ site about the busa;
General Ownership things to look out for :

'99 - '00 : Ensure the recall work on the Cam Chain and Fuel pump has been done.

What is the issue with the fuel pump? What was the recall for?

pull the fuel pump two fuel screens plus the main filter , my 99 had the same issue
you can clean the screens if your careful & replace the filter

pull the fuel pump two fuel screens plus the main filter , my 99 had the same issue
you can clean the screens if your careful & replace the filter

Thanks! I found some other threads about the fuel pump issue and mods.
You don't happen to sit on a tutorial for this? Does the haynes manual cover taking apart the pump assembly? Think I can get hold of one nearby.

Is the filter built into the pump?

Edit: Found a good answer after some looking, going to split the whole pump assembly tomorrow and see what happens.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-problems/23480-busa-cutting-out-help-2.html

Last edited:
beat me to it , its quite easy if your handy with the spanners , the link you found shows all the filters so you know what to look for , good luck

beat me to it , its quite easy if your handy with the spanners , the link you found shows all the filters so you know what to look for , good luck

Found the real cause of my fuel supply problem, in my case there was no copper residue as many others had experienced.

915005619_aZkFS-XL.jpg

915005691_aeex6-XL.jpg

When I pulled the fuel pump unit, there was brown fuel coming out after the pump and filter as the pictures show above.

12713034_6ZXTg

Taking the unit apart was a *****. Those four phillips screws must have been thread locked.

915004649_GLdzC-XL.jpg

As seen inside the unit, the fuel filter was totally clogged by this brown stuff.

915004756_XxtG3-XL.jpg

The mesh filter was kind of dirty too, but I guess most of the stuff got past that filter.

915004896_N73tL-XL.jpg

After cleaning. Looking good. Need a new filter however.

Since the bike have been standing still for a long time, I checked the tank and my fear was acknowledged.

The fuel looked like this:

915005500_QMzRK-XL.jpg

And when shaking the tank over the bucket, a lot of rust fell out.

915005208_vy4yM-XL.jpg

Did not manage to get it all out, it still rattles like there are stuff left.

Need to have it cleaned out properly by a professional... crap.

Last edited:
glad you found the prob , no copper in mine either , just sludged up. you can always put an in line filter in the delivery line as well ,

all the best , keep us posted on the out come

glad you found the prob , no copper in mine either , just sludged up. you can always put an in line filter in the delivery line as well ,

all the best , keep us posted on the out come

Thanks, I've decided to fix the tank myself. Just ordered POR 15 that will clean out the rust and fix it permanently.

Like your bike colors by the way, here a pic of mine;
912452536_j5E2M-XL.jpg

Back