Throttle Lock

Rhythm

http://www.youtube.com/us
Donating Member
Registered
Ok Playaz, after a whole summer of trial and error I'm satisfied with my final results of my homemade throttle lock/throttlemiesters .

For under $40 invested in a 8mm helicoil set, drill press for counter sinking  the barend to accomodate a 8mm phillip bolt,oil cap with a hole punch in the center and some quality time with Medusa and my grandson learing the ropes watching closely, I finally got the chance to finisher up.

DSC00869.jpg

The basic principle is to cause friction between the barend and aluminum handlebar under the white plastic lever (throttle), causing the throttle to lock when enough pressure is applied to  the oil cap after the barend has been turned in a clockwise (locking it in place between the barend and aluminum handlebar under the plastic throttle) or  counterclockwise (unlock) to disengage the throttle. To do this I just used an oil cap sanded down to the point when mounted onto the white plastic handle it will butt up against the raised plastic lip at the end of the throttle (white part of the throttle or 2nd photo below) with no space in between on the white throttle underneath the rubber grip and aluminum handlebar. Basically, the inside of the oil cap will be touching the lip on the white lever and the end of the handlebar where the the barend screws  into. When you roll back the rubber sleeve it will be present what I'm talking about. Next, place the cap  onto the end of the plastic sleeve and wrap black electrical tape around it and the white plastic throttle several times so it wont slip when you compress (turn) the barend (shown in the photo below)...  This is where the fricton point will be when the throttle is locked into position when the barend is rotated in a clockwise motion.

DSC00864-1.jpg

DSC00861.jpg

DSC00875.jpg

So on that note....... I just basically tap the inner hole on the barend with the supplied tap in the heli coil set. Then I used the supplied tool to screw the heli coil into the inside barend hole , thats it.  
DSC00870.jpg

Next, I counter sunk the  outside barend hole far enough so the phillip bolt head would bottom out to help keep it in place with some locktite applied to the bolt.  By counter sinking the bolt just enough will  help with less rotation when engaging the barend. If you find yourself rolling it to much just add washers until you have it right. Hopefully you won't need to add no more than three washers to your bolt threaded through your barend.
DSC00873.jpg

DSC00868.jpg

Here are some photos of the finished product.  BBBUSA and Dudewizer can vouch for the smooth operation and dependability, except for one minor setback during my test and tune stages (remember Brian.... duck  
laugh.gif
)

Also, here are two photos marked with blue tape showing the throttle  in normal and a locked position.

DSC00880.jpg

DSC00876.jpg

DSC00877.jpg

What do you guys think !

And for you Homo's laughing at my busted up front brake lever, how this for a replacement. Thats right, a brembo, Charles hooked me up with last month. Still trying to find the time to put it on  
sad.gif

tounge.gif

DSC00878.jpg

Who's up for the challenge
rock.gif
??  
wink.gif

AHHH. ok. After reading this a few times I think I under stand how it works! I didn't understand the heli coil part- but I see now. Great mod! I can't wait to get home ..............
cool.gif

The heli coil allows the barend to roll like a nut along the phillip bolt which is screwed into the aluminum barend (handlebar). When you twist the barend clockwise it compresses the oil cap in between the aluminum handlebar and barend which in turns locks the throttle.  The black tape act as a sleeve holding the cap onto the plastic throttle.  

It might help if I mention that if done correctly,when you bottom out the phillip bolt head you will still have some movement between the  oil cap and barend. This sill allow you to turn the barend to engage and disengage the throttle lock.

(Pops Roos @ Jan. 08 2007,09:51) So I'm a Homo huh  LOL

Cool mods

U be pimpin'
Pick a lane and stay there, Doyle
laugh.gif

Hope you can find time to do it and save yourself $100.
I've been riding all summer with this mod and the Audvox before it went south on me after a mth of use.
sad.gif

Needed this a couple weeks ago already bought the Meister..

I'll put the Radial master cylinders to use for ya though..
beerchug.gif

(Pops Roos @ Jan. 08 2007,10:24) Needed this a couple weeks ago already bought the Meister..

I'll put the Radial master cylinders to use for ya though..
beerchug.gif
Brembo, baby ! Get with Vman if you want a complete install kit.
super.gif

(dadofthree @ Jan. 08 2007,11:41)
lurk.gif

beerchug.gif
Hey Champ in ref to PMing last weekend heres a photo showing  the main wire supplying power to the fuse block. This is where I tapped into for my anti theft using my alarm system.

It the big orange wire with the POPSI lock attached to it.

DSC00889.jpg

(heavybusa @ Jan. 08 2007,12:03) Out of my league but I bow to the Don Magic DIY.  
bowdown.gif
We aint gonna go there again, are we ?
tounge.gif

I'm probably making it sound hard, which it isn't.

If you can tap a hole (twist and turn a tap in an open hole) with the supplied kit then you can do it. You know I got you back as always Playa. Hit a brotha up if you want to try it. Or ask me what part you dont understand and I'll to clarify in another way for you to understand.

Ty
race.gif

Nice mod, works great.

one minor setback during my test and tune stages (remember Brian.... duck )[/Quote]

Testing, ah the testing.
SHOCKED.gif

LOL

(thebbbusa @ Jan. 08 2007,12:28) Nice mod, works great.

one minor setback during my test and tune stages (remember Brian.... duck   )

Testing, ah the testing.  
SHOCKED.gif

LOL[/Quote]
We both were losing shid that day, too funny
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Awesome time spent on another worthy mod....if only it had been published months ago
sad.gif

Good job sir! Much better than my two bit (albeit functional) throttle lock.
IMG_0196Small.jpg

cheers
ken

What size of drill bit did you use to countersink the hole in the bar end? How long is the phillip bolt? And where did you get that plug in the end of your bar end? Awsome Mod!!!!!!
bowdown.gif

Back