Liscence plate mounted vertically .....

Warputer

Father of 4=Madness
Donating Member
Registered
I got stopped Thursday night by a State Highway Patrolman for having the tag mounted vertically . We talked for a good while about bikes & then he gave me a warning . Anyone ever received a ticket for this ?

Here's a Pic.......

Oct_23_2006_005.jpg

I have been warned as well the cop told me the fine would be $60 next time he pulled me over so next time I may not stop
jump9.gif

Another reason to move to Ohio Chris. As long as its visible, it doesnt matter if its vert or horiz
wink.gif

In WV now you can actually pay a small fee to have the plate printed vertically...
cool.gif

I didn't know that happened. That sucks. Glad you only got a warning.

I have a G3 tag holder on my BUSA mounted to the rear caliper and have been told that I should think about getting a TAG LIGHT but never warned of it being illegal. But I also live in KANSAS.
race.gif

SC Statue:
SECTION 56-3-1240. Display of license plates; missing plate. [SC ST SEC 56-3-1240]

License plates issued for motor vehicles must be attached to the outside rear of the vehicle, open to view, except that on truck tractors and road tractors the plates must be attached to the outside front of the vehicle. Every license plate, at all times, must be fastened securely in a horizontal and upright position to the vehicle for which it was issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging. The bottom of the plate must be at a height of not less than twelve inches from the ground in a place and position clearly visible as provided in Section 56-5-4530, and it must be maintained free from foreign materials and in a clearly legible condition. No other license plate, lighting equipment, except as permitted in Section 56-5-4530, tag, sign, monogram, tinted cover, or inscription of metal or other material may be displayed above, around, or upon the plate other than that which is authorized and issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles for the purpose of validating the plate. It is not unlawful to place a decal on the license plate if it does not obscure any letters or numbers. A motor vehicle owner may attach a trailer hitch to a motor vehicle provided the hitch does not obscure more than two inches of the license plate issued to the motor vehicle. It is unlawful to operate or drive a motor vehicle with the license plate missing and a person who is convicted for violating this section must be punished as provided by Section 56-3-2520.
beerchug.gif

TAG VERITCALLY WITH NO LIGHTS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

Then again I never take her out of the garage either.
sad.gif

IMG_0346.jpg

(mzrsq @ Jan. 07 2007,00:08) TAG VERITCALLY WITH NO LIGHTS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.

Then again I never take her out of the garage either.
sad.gif

IMG_0346.jpg
Beautiful bike. Youre in Ohio, doesnt need to be horizontal

(BusaCruise @ Jan. 07 2007,00:19) everyone needs to check there own state's statutes ...they're alll online.
Ohio's

§ 4503.21. Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary placard or windshield sticker.

(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

The bracket is adjustable ......it can mount horizontal. Too bad it would drag in the corners and look like crap! I think I'll just take my chances.
wink.gif

Thanks for all the response fellas !
beerchug.gif

Chris,
I recieved a fix it ticket when I was using an ST Machine bracket off of the swingarm; I was riding aggressively (not speeding but leaning) and it caught an FHP's attention. He followed me for better than a mile before hitting his lights, I figure he was trying to find something to hit me for. Anyway, I didn't have a light on mine and it was vertical - but with all the Harley guys you gotta know that something else will grab thier attention before the plate.
I just said screw it and sold the bracket and remounted back under the tail.

Back