Anyone want to see...

CrashBomb

Registered
I've got a friend who lives in the U.K. and drives a tour bus all over most of Europe and points beyond. He's in Andorra at the moment, driving for a ski holiday group through December and January.

Every year about this time he sends me a bottle or two full of "liquid presents." Always the most superior top shelf stuff and the kind of booze you don't even get in the states.

I think it's safe to say he's excelled himself again this year.

This is the real thing, not that Czechoslovakian crap that looks like Windex and tastes like a vodka and glass cleaner cocktail. The same thing that made Van Gogh go all Freddy Kruger on his own ear and has been blamed for everything from Bohemian society to the Lanfrey murders in 1905.

Two bottles, one French and one Swiss. I probably don't want to know what he paid for them, much less having them shipped all the way from the middle of the Pyrenees. Both are from extremely limited productions and were rated well over 90 by the self proclaimed "experts." Macerated and distilled according to recipes that were in popular use when Degas was painting L'Absinthe and Artuhr Rimbaud was writing Un Sasion en Enfer.

Here's to having friends with good taste and the foresight to pick up an extra bottle to share when they're buying good stuff.

French

1797.jpg

-"Do you have any real absinthe?" Roger asked the bar waiter.
-"It's not supposed to be", the waiter said. "But I have some".
-"The real Couvet-Pontarlier sixty-eighth degree? Not the Tarragova?"
-"Yes, sir", the waiter said. "I can't bring you the bottle. It will be in an ordinary Pernod bottle."
-"I can tell it", Roger said.
-"I believe you, sir", the waiter said. "Do you want it a frappe or drip?"
-"Straight drip. You have the dripping saucers?"
-"Naturally, sir."
-"Without sugar."
-"Won't the lady want sugar, sir?"
-"No. We'll let her try it without."
-"Very good, sir."
…
The absinthe had come and from the saucers of cracked ice placed over the top of the glasses water, that Roger added from a small pitcher, was dripping down into the clear yellowish liquor turning it to an opalescent milkiness...

-from Hemingway's The Strange Country

Ah, that bottle is no good. It says 1797 on it, it's way past the born on date.
all_coholic.gif

Only played with that stuff one time. Great memories (atleast thats what they told me)

(heavybusa @ Dec. 17 2006,15:37) I didnt see the big deal other than it tastes and smells HORRIBLE
That's because it's La Fee. Bleaugh. Probably La Fee Parisian from the color of the label. All of La Fee's stuff is new "designer" absinthe. It really took off after Moulin Rouge was a big hit in theaters. It's actually not as bad as the Chezch stuff (though La Fee does have one that looks like Windex) but still not very good. In the end it's just grain alcohol with some various herbs and spices macerated in it for awhile. The only good "designer" absinthe out there right now is the Mari Maryans from Ibiza and the Deva from Spain.

With that snake stuff...do they actually eat the snake when the bottle is empty like the worm in Mescal or is it just for decoration?

(GMbusa @ Dec. 17 2006,11:59) Ah, that bottle is no good. It says 1797 on it, it's way past the born on date.  
all_coholic.gif
Yeah, I think he should send it to me...

beerchug.gif
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

Back