Stealership strikes again

If that was my bike , I would give the dealer a chance to trade me out of it, but I would accept nothing less than RETAIL for the damaged bike against the dealer COST on the new one, with NO documentation or other fees.

(extreemachine @ Dec. 02 2006,18:05) I would say it puts a hurtin on the motor! Yes it prematurely wears out alot of things in the motor. The dealership is NOT going to let on to this. They gave you a free tire in hopes of you leaving happy for there mistake and not following through with any ideas of saying the motor is bad. You may get 1o miles, 100 miles, 1000 miles but you will have problems prematurely from lack of oil for whatever time frame it was.  My .02

firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif
   Dealerships!!! They are ALL alike! I hate to stereotype but you here these stories over and over again.
Dealerships suck..........and yes you've done damage to your motor that WILL show up before long. My wife had a shop do that to her car before I met her and within a few hundred miles it was all over.

firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

(mjn @ Dec. 02 2006,20:07) Before you complain to the BBB, or Suzuki, or anyone else....talk to the owner and see if they will make it right.

Once you start making thier life misserable, your chances of getting anything will drastically drop.

Try the adult, mature approach first.  If they are jerks about it...THEN open up the guns on 'em.  

BBB
Local Dealer investigator
Suzuki
Local Newspaper

Lots of things you can do to make them "pay".   But lets face it, what you really want is your bike back, in good condition.   Right?

I know you are pissed off...and I would be too.   Just remember, it is human nature to react to an attitude.  Right or wrong, its a fact.

Do your best to work this to YOUR advantage.   Work it smart.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

ADD;***   One more thing;    Remember, "to err is human".    Nobody is perfect.   We all make mistakes.    The only thing that counts is how they man up to the mistake, and how they compensate you.
ahhh..I'm calm now. Thank you.

Yup..you are correct. Very good points.

I just find that unacceptable by a dealer. I mean really?

runeight...

(Shibumi @ Dec. 02 2006,20:19) Good advice on attitude.

Be very clear with them-

1. They screwed up. Their negligence caused your bike to lose all its oil. The B.S. story is just that, and their fault the drain plug wasn't tightened even if true (no chance).

2. You will accept nothing LESS than a new engine. Do NOT accept a rebuild from any place displaying this degree of incompetence and negligence.

3. If they do not comply with your terms you will take all steps above and turn it over to a lawyer who will go after them for endangering your life due to their negligence.

4. Enjoy your new MV Augusta you will be able to buy from the settlement money!  
smile.gif
Would you please stop this!

My Lord, I want one so bad!

wink.gif

This is one of the reasons there will be: Hyperbikecenters. If we srew up not only do we fix it but you get all of your original service cost back and your bike repaired.
beerchug.gif

i would have them take the oil pan and oil filter off while im standing there to inspect for metal shavings. hopefully they didnt cover their bases by changing the filter when they replaced the oil. have them cut it open to inspect it. once they know for a fact that you know for a fact engine damage has occured, they will then have to compensate you. if they switch out cranks or whatever, the bad thing is trusting that they actually did it. it would suck if they didnt and you're engine blew later because suzuki hd would say you abused it becuase their records show a new crank was installed. also if they decide to give you a new engine, check and make sure the serial numbers are different than the original one. the bad thing about trading it in on another bike is the fact that some unlucky soul is going to get your old one not knowing about the damage that may have occured. maybe it could be reported to carfax or something so it will be public knowledge......other than that, i dont know what could really be done for that situation. this is why i try to tell everyone to do their own maintenance. just keep records and reciepts of when it was done. you could have bought a new battery, cable, oil, and filter for under $200. well, i hope it works out for you in the end. good luck

(mjn @ Dec. 02 2006,22:07) Before you complain to the BBB, or Suzuki, or anyone else....talk to the owner and see if they will make it right.

Once you start making thier life misserable, your chances of getting anything will drastically drop.

Try the adult, mature approach first.  
Excellent advice. You need to find out who owns the dealership some other way, so the responsible persons don't get the "story" to him or her before you do. Each state has a "corporation bureau" or something similar (usually there's a link from each state's official website--look for starting a business, or checking corporate status), and it will typically list the owner's name and address. Make the call to the owner and and be calm and reasonable. Decide what you want first, so you can get to that point. Good luck, and keep us informed.

Plain bearing cranks do not work without a fresh supply of oil!!! Once your motor starts making noise it means that the crank is contacting the bearing surfaces and not the protective layer of oil it is intended to have. I would say that based on the noise you described at best the bearings are probably wasted, I would want to see the top end as well! your cams also run on plain bearings. Now... if I was the dealer I would start off with "well we see that you have a TRE on there and altered gearing, front end strapped etc." So be prepared to hold your ground if they come back at you with some crap like that. I would want a new motor myself!
AND DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!! Phone or personal conversations can't be easily documented, but emails and letters can!

(bigoltool @ Dec. 03 2006,10:31) AND DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!! Phone or personal conversations can't be easily documented, but emails and letters can!
Excellent point. Hopefully the dealer will stand up and do what's right, but it's best to prepare for the opposite.

radio shack carries a miniature tape recorder with a suction cup microphone that attaches to the back of your phone handset...it will record conversations very well...you can also get mics with 3' leads that you can run down the sleeve of a shirt that work quite well also...just be careful on local laws regarding taping phone conversations as it is illegal in some locations...call your local police station or sheriff's department and they can clue you in to local laws

I would be so all over them.

Blown motor in a Busa makes for a really bad trade in value.

Crate motor installed or actual trade in value of the bike with no deductions on a new one,that is the least I would settle for.

My choice though, would be get new one, let them keep the old bike and go your own ways.

I would have a couple of questions to ask too.( With my attorney present.)

biggrin.gif

(runeight @ Dec. 03 2006,05:27)
(Shibumi @ Dec. 02 2006,20:19) Good advice on attitude.

Be very clear with them-

1. They screwed up. Their negligence caused your bike to lose all its oil. The B.S. story is just that, and their fault the drain plug wasn't tightened even if true (no chance).

2. You will accept nothing LESS than a new engine. Do NOT accept a rebuild from any place displaying this degree of incompetence and negligence.

3. If they do not comply with your terms you will take all steps above and turn it over to a lawyer who will go after them for endangering your life due to their negligence.

4. Enjoy your new MV Augusta you will be able to buy from the settlement money!
smile.gif
Would you please stop this!

My Lord, I want one so bad!

wink.gif
They are absolutely beautiful, aren't they?
smile.gif

One more time...

MV_Agusta_F4_CC_3r.jpg

smile.gif

That suck!!! Have them run a compression check on each cylinder to see how bad the rings got beat up. If it were me i would get them for everything they got(a new motor) being that it was their fault the plug came out and like you said could have killed you. That would be the bare minimum i would settle for!
guns.gif

Thanks for all the advice guys. I knew the second they said the bike was "fixed" i was in for trouble... unfortunately I've been really busy and will be for at least the next week and a half, so I haven't been able to take any action...
sad.gif
I'll keep u guys updated though.

From experience I can tell you that more than likely serious damage occurred. I am a Service Director for an auto dealership and one of my rookie oil change guys flat out forgot to put oil back in a Subaru Outback 4cyl. The customer made it 6 miles before the engine seized. It was towed back to us and had cooled enough where it could be turned over. The engine was shot in that short time span. It knocked like a woodpecker in a barrel!! I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but a motor without oil is a motor without oil!
Good Luck! By the way, We put a remanufactured Subaru Motor in her car, at our expense, so hopefully your dealer will do right by you.

No matter is the motor costs $15k to build, they won't give you a new bike.
One of the other guys on here had to get his engine rebuilt because Suzuki supposedly does not offer a complete Busa engine as a crate. They sell part by part so they can get more money.

One other thing, tell the owner or whoever your dealing with that you can get a complete used motor from on here for $1500-3000. Better yet, contact goldenchild. I think he has 1397 motors forsale in good shape. It's either Goldenchild or Suzuki4life that has the engines. I can't remember.

Back