Dead Busa

CrashBomb

Registered
Well, my fall ride went bad today. Loping down the highway at about 80-90 in the left lane in 6th I heard a bang and everything started to shake and rattle like crazy, plus I could hear naked exhaust coming from somewhere. It sounded like someone rolling a metal garbage can full of parts down a steep hill.

I limped over to the next exit and coasted to the bottom of the hill where I called my friend and told him to hitch up my trailer and come get me.

This all happened about 7pm. It's now around 9:30, I'm home and I have the plastics off.

There's a hole in the block the size of a dime.

Looks like my season is over regardless of what the weather does.

Anyone know where I can get a good price on a bottom end? Looks like the cylinder is ok, as for the reciprocating assembly...I won't know until I get it apart.

Maybe I should just look for a complete engine but I was considering going to a 1397 over the winter and this seems like as good an excuse as any.

Dayum.. first time I ever heard that happening on a stock motor.

What year is it? any mods to it?

Granted the Busa is as close to purfect as you can get... It was made by man, & things made by man will fail. Like you said, let it be a great excuse to get your bore mod.

Well, **** happens! Good thing the motor's are a dime a dozen! Good Lu
rant.gif
ck!

I've never heard of anyone blowing one either. That's why I'm so astonished.

It's a 2002. Supposedly it only had 2300 on the clock when I bought it but I'm beginning to suspect that. I've heard they're notoriously easy to over/under clock, or it could have just had the instrument cluster replaced with one that only had 2300 on it. I've put less than 4k on it since I bought it. I think it's right around 6 grand.

Only motor mods I know of are a Hindle 4-1 and a TRE. It does have a new one piece clutch with APE springs and some bar risers, but other than those few odds and ends it's totally stock.

Oil level was a little higher than directly between L and F when I pulled out of the garage at about 3pm. I think I probably rode about 150-175 miles today before this happened.

Man, I don't even know where to start on this thing. Anyone know someone selling crate motors or something like that? Where can I get just a bare block if my rotating assembly is ok or repairable?

Hey Chad,
Sorry to hear of the news. Good photos you have attached.
Try going to:
http://www.sports.racer.net Click enter and then click classifieds, then click Engines for Sale by Individuals.
There should be at least 20 to 30 Hayabusa motors for sale.
Good luck if you decide to go that route.
Glad you did not go down.

Brad

Cool, thanks Brad. I figured there had to be somewhere out there to get them easily because I know how many track car and small scale car owners LOVE this motor. I've seen 'Busa powerplants in everything from sand rails to SMART cars.

There's no way I shouldn't have gone down. Still don't know why I didn't, just luck I guess. There's a LOT of oil on the rear tire so the oil down must have been tremendous. It made me think of that old Spy Hunter video game where the car could throw oil slicks to wreck the cars chasing it.

BA...I'm in western Pennsylvania, about an hour north of Pittsburgh, just near the Ohio line.

Yeah I know of a couple of places here on the West Coast that have motors...but the shipping would be $$$

looks like it tossed a rod. that sucks. I think it would be easer to just get another engine. sorry for your loss.

Yeah tossing a rod usually destroyes most everything. head could still be alright but I doubt it. Probably some bent valves at minimum. That sucks bad. Not trying to be negative, I have pulled allot of motors apart after these type events so I would just get another motor.

That really sux,I feel for ya man...But what were you doing 80-90 in 6th gear....
I would be getting into 2nd at that speed.
Not that this has anything to do with your problem. Good luck in fixing her,I would go with a bigger motor at this point to.
beerchug.gif

Back