Hwy 88 with pics

Copperone

One of the Few, the proud -
Donating Member
Registered
I went out Hwy 88 this morning and took a few pics and thought I share a few. This is an awsome road. It goes for about 22 miles of full on twisties until it turns into a dirt. The only catch to riding this road is that you have to get out there early, before the cops and there are always a few out there around 8am, and the snow birds block up the road with their RVs. In the winter if you get out there around 6am the road is yours. It truely is an incredable ride and nothing but twisties.

Busa_Pictures_012.jpg

Sorry, Superstition is right next to the high way. Where the good part starts. Guess I got carried away. That just a pic of the mountain. A desert pic I guess.

This is Tortilla Flat. A little place with a resturant and a little store. A great breakfast place.

Busa_Pictures_024.jpg

Today wasen't the best day for pic taking. Gray and over cast, but it was great to be out and riding. Temps in the 70's at about 7am. I took alot more pics, but these pic are pretty representative of the road. For those that have been on hwy 88 you already know what a great ride this can be. For every whos never been here, get here early, so you don't have to worry about the cops and you'll have a blast.
super.gif

I love that scenery.

I once was in Phoenix for a month and my work flew my wife out over 4th July weekend and we floated the Salt River. That was a wild time. Floating Radio DJ's and strippers.

Copper, this is N. Az right? I've been to the following Az rides:
Arivaca....great short (23mi) of nasty twisties with some up n downs, bad part is the gravel on some of the turns.

Hwy83 Sonoita to Tucson..... decent 32mi ride, no so tight on the curves and few LEO's.

Mount Lemmon.... Great ride, smooth road with no gravel present (unless its right after a Monsoon), LEO's leave you alone from 6-9am, then your fair game. Ride to the top is filled with beautiful sweeping turns, got some video I'm waiting on DL so I can post it.

"The Loop"..... From Sierra Vista Charleston Rd (nice twisties, little gravel after storms and few LEO's) to Tombstone then Hwy 83 to Hipee Bisbee (longer turns into the mountain and back around the old mining pits) and back to town on Hwy 90 mostly straight once your out of the aforementioned mountain.

Devil's Hwy (Hwy 191, used to be Hwy 666)....to Alpine. My personal favorite and what we use to break in "prospects" or new riders, as well as getting rid of strips. 92+miles of nothing but eclectic combination of turns, hairpins, sweeps, double-backs, up n downs, with increasing and decreasing radius' turns...absolutely beautiful ride.

If this Hwy 88 is close enough for a morning to late afternoon ride, I can set this up with my buddies. Sounds like its closer to Phoenix than SV though, as this morning it was well below 70*...matter a fact it didnt hit 70* until around 1pm.

Let me know though, very interested. BTW, we are planning a ride to Devils Hwy the 2d w/e in Nov (its a 4day w/e for Military), riding up on one day, spending the night at the lodge and riding back the next. Being up 9,000ft it tends to get bitter cold when the sun sets on the W. side of the mountain. 660miles total from my house, last time we left at noon made it back at 2:30am.

Back