The Grand Tour of Pashnit California

Ron- there's that look again.

Img_5998-Ron.jpg

And I give you..... drum roll please, Half Dome and the Incomparable Valley

Img_6002-pashnit.jpg

The Boys

Img_6013-4guys.jpg

The standard off-the-shelf-shot. You can't take a bad pic up here. Half Dome is 4800 feet above the valley floor and it's a 17 mile hike to get there. Doesn't sound like much, however, it'll take 10-12 hours to hike the distance. Cables up the steep side to the top are installed in May, and taken down in October. Can't see them from here as they're on the flip side of the dome. Here's a shot of the cables posted on here.

Img_6014-HalfDome.jpg

Robert dialing in the top of Half Dome. Always interesting to see people sitting up at the top looking right back at you.

Img_6022-Robert.jpg

'Bout the best I can do with my Canon Pro1 on the zoom... Evevation up there is 8842 ft.

Img_6023-zoom.jpg

Checking out a small forest fire burning in the park. Note this time of year in the fall, the waterfalls are little more than trickles of water. Yosemite Falls on the north wall was actually dry.

Img_6021-shirt.jpg

Adjacent to this overlook is the actual Glacier Point. Stunning! This pics don't even begin to give you an idea of what it's really like to be there...

Img_6035-Neil.jpg

Well, maybe this one can. One of my favorites from the ride. And yes, it's straight down all the way to the bottom. I got a little bit of vertigo even taking this pic.

Img_6047-Robert-Neil.jpg

Looking down on Yosemite Valley, at very top left is the dry Yosemite Falls.

Img_6037-valley.jpg

7214 Feet above sea level. Dated: 7-11-1905. Very cool.

Img_6046-USGS.jpg

You can sort of tell how far up we are here. Now lessee, if we're at 7214 feet, and the valley floor is at 4000 ft, carry the one, double back the 3, that's 3200 feet we're looking down. Amazing!

Img_6056-valley.jpg

You know that famous pic of the ladies dancing on it above the valley floor? I kept thinking this was it...

Img_6058-rock.jpg

Seen this one? Or this one...

dancing-girls.jpg
fiske-3.jpg

I believe a photographer named Fiske took these around the turn of the century. But by all means, 100 years later, here I am trying to capture the same exact feeling on film. Do wonder if it's the same rock though. Doesn't seem to match.

fiske-2.jpg

Well after all that sensory overload, it was time to grab some lunch over at the Ahwahnee Hotel, opened in 1927, in the famous grand ballroom. The hotel is quite amazing- an example of a Grand Lodge, a final lunch for our Grand Tour.

The Great Room concept probably started here. ;) The ceiling is 23 feet, and there are Miwok Indian historic items everywhere.

Img_6064-GreatRoom.jpg

Img_6069-GreatRoom.jpg

Chairs in the great room- I thought it interesting they were so leaned back and wondered if that was to take in the tall ceilings and immense sense of space.

Img_6077-chairs.jpg

The Winter Room. Social clubs of yore. The historic pics on the wall are pretty cool.

Img_6067-winter.jpg

The fireplaces are big enough to walk into- six feet tall, and use only real wood.

Img_6072-walk.jpg

Img_6076-balcony.jpg

See the person? Not much has changed since this place was built.

Img_6071-window.jpg

The front room of the hotel. This pic looks like something out of a brochure. Indoor architectural photography is rather challenging, these are all shot at around 1/10th of a second and I have to lean up against a well and hold my breath while I squeeze the shutter button.

Img_6073-Awahnee.jpg

Yes, it was delicious. And foccasia bread no less.

Img_6083-food.jpg

Well, I'll leave with with this final pic. It was a fantastic ride, and maybe after viewing these pics, you may be join me someday or possibly explore these areas of California on your own someday. The views are Grand, the roads are Grand, just jaw dropping stuff.
bowdown.gif

Img_6061-table.jpg

Oh, and on a sidenote, my Scotsman Robert had another two weeks until he had to fly back to Scotland. He had no plans.

"Texas," he said over lunch. "Just always wanted to go there."

"Maybe I'll keep the Harley and just ride in the general direction".

I like it already Robert. Let the fates decide.

-fin-

I have been to some of these areas you describe. Yosemite (sp) was ..well..breath taking. Trees? You have to see it to believe it. Hwy One? The best of the best.

OK..I am putting you on my list of things to do. A Pashnit ride.

Thank you once again for the fantasic shots and descriptions. I, like everyone here, look forward to these tours.

runeight

Tim....
Thanks for letting us see a bit of what you see! Simply awesome stuff! Maybe one day (I'm all the way in South Fla)...
beerchug.gif

I would absolutely love to join in on a ride like that! Wonderful write up, amazing pictures...I am sharing this thread with the hubby as a "must do" one day with our sons...

Awesome!!! Thanks so much!!
bowdown.gif

Back