The Grand Tour of Pashnit California

The view of the Central Valley to the west...

Img_5925-MoroRockWest.jpg

Panoramic Scroll--->>

http://www.pashnittours.com/photos/2006-09-01/Day3/Img_5927-500.jpg

If you turn your head to the left and look east, you've got this. Mt Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48 is not visible from here, but is located beyond these peaks.

http://www.pashnittours.com/photos....mic.jpg

Focus on the Generals Highway. If you can hit it with no traffic, it's quite fun, although speeds are low in the national park. My last ride through here was on a weekday and unimpeded.

Img_5936-GeneralsHwy.jpg

Img_4455-198.jpg

The steep walk down...

Img_5938-walk-down.jpg

Then off to the Drive-Thru Tree...

Img_5940-DriveThu.jpg

Took this shot on a previous ride through here, wee bit different perspective. Now do you get a sense of how big these things are?

Img_4446-Seq.jpg

They really are amazing things. You really need to see them in person to truly experience the Giant Sequoia's. For most in our group, this was the first time they'd ever seen anything like this.

Img_5944-ParkerGroup.jpg

Img_4447-seq.jpg

Another attempt at perspective. Scroll down...

Img_5942-Sequoia1200.jpg

Robert & Ron discussing the meaning of life. Or possibly just the difference in their Harleys.

Img_5947-Rob-Ron.jpg

Img_5950-StreetGlide.jpg

Close up of the Intruder

100_0556-Intruder.jpg

(Neil)

I've been working on these close ups with the camera last couple days, plus I see alot of riders who do these mirror shots.

See the reflection of the motorcycle? If you didn't the first time looking at the pic, that was the idea.

Img_5956-Harley.jpg

After lunch a stop by the grove of Sequoias by Grants Grove to walk the short trail through the Sequoias. The idea here is not just to shoot a pic of a tree- that's kind of boring. Instead, the intent is (like yesterday along the Western Divide Hwy) create a sense of scale.

See the person?

Img_5960-Seq.jpg

The roots of a downed Sequoia tree. Interesting to note this downed sequoia is thought to been lying here for hundreds of years. 100 some years ago, it was used as a store and meeting place. Normally you can walk through the middle of it.

Img_5961-roots.jpg

Robert...

Img_5962-Robert.jpg

The crown of the Giant Sequoia- many of which are some 300 feet tall. These are also considered to be the largest living things on earth, and can weigh up to 1,000,000 pounds apiece.

Img_5964-crown.jpg

Gary, Robert & Neil

Img_5965-Seq.jpg

See the person? Starting to get it now?

Img_4417-Seq.jpg

Another view by Neil

100_0586-seq.jpg

Then off to explore Kings Canyon National Park. I had thought to cut out this part of the ride at the last minute due to time constraints, but Ron would later say it was one of the best parts of the entire trip, so I'm glad we rode down into the canyon. It's said that if you measure from the river bottom to the surrounding mountain tops- it's even deeper than the Grand Canyon which is known to be a mile deep!

Highway 180 into Kings Canyon... Again, Note that if you are familiar with the road, you can actually pick out specific corners from space with the Keyhole.com program. This is looking southwest at Kings Canyon. If you look closely, at top center you can see Hume Lake.

180-6.jpg

Ride at the top of the hill

Img_4326-180.jpg

Somebody pinch me. This is Hwy 180 and it winds its way for some distance down to the bottom of the canyon.

Img_4345-Kings.jpg

Looking down on Highway 180 into the canyon.

Img_5994-KingsCanyon.jpg

Finally reaching the bottom near Boyden Cave.

Img_5974-KingsCanyon.jpg

Img_5982-StreetGlide.jpg

Ron- again, notice the pattern here. Maybe the goal of every photographer is to be the best at capturing the moment, and somehow conveying what it was like to stand in this spot to the person looking into the photograph. When I see this, I can almost sense what Ron is thinking. I would catch him constantly staring off into the distance, seemingly in awe.

This panoramic is one of my favorites of the nearly 400 some pics I shot.

Img_5978-Ron2.jpg

Neil railing through the corners... my magazine cover shot.

Img_5986-Neil.jpg

Img_5987-Neil.jpg

Inside the canyon...

Img_4388-canyon.jpg

And with that it was time to head on out of the canyon and beat daylight to Oakhurst... The Gateway to Yosemite National Park.

Descending down Hwy 180 out of the park.

Img_4323-180.jpg

End Day 3

Our 4th day together, the plan was quite simple. experience a mere slice of the (nearly) 800,000 acre Yosemite National Park. First order of business, head on up to Glacier Point where we spent most of our time, and I shot quite a few pics, generally trying to improve upon previous pics and style of photography.

Img_5995-GlacierWalkway.jpg

Gary in the shadow of Half Dome.

Img_5997-Gary.jpg

Back