I dissassembled the fuel pump assy.

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Since the bike is fixed, I figured I'd dissassemble the fuel pump assy. and see if it was the screen and/or filter.

I have 10 pics for you guys.

From what I see of the filter and the screen, there could still be something wrong with the pump. The filter and screen were dirty. But not enough so to convince me that there is no problem with the pump itself. Anyone who wants the assembly minus the filter, pay shipping and its yours. Just remember, the pump may be bad.

First the pic of the assy.

Camera_downloads_7_12_06_017.jpg

Just a few sign of rust, but hardly any. Little bit of a film residue, but cleaner than expected for 39,000 miles.

Camera_downloads_7_12_06_018.jpg

My camera sucks, 2 megapixels. But you can make out some debris on the fuel screen.

Camera_downloads_7_12_06_019.jpg

After I wiped off the debris, mostly metal shaving, you can see it better on the blue towel. Not much at all, considering 39k miles.

Camera_downloads_7_12_06_020.jpg

Getting to the filter isn't easy.  Its sealed in a black plastic container.  You can buy the filter/container for $160-180, but like I mentioned above the pump could be faulty also.  

It took a hammer and center punch, then a hammer and a small flat tip screwdriver, then a hammer with a big flat tip screwdriver, and presto out comes the filter.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152827686 -->

Camera_downloads_7_12_06_022.jpg

Close up of the filter. Its black, not sure what the orginal color was. But no goo or crud, just a black filter element.

Camera_downloads_7_12_06_025.jpg

You can also see the fins have been bent/misshapened. Not from dissassembly, it came out like that.

Camera_downloads_7_12_06_026.jpg

If anyone wants it, just pay shipping. But I can't vouch that its 100% operational. The problem was probably the dirty filter and/or screen, but I don't know for sure.

Camera_downloads_7_12_06_029.jpg

just wanted to see what it looked like huh. I probably would have done the same thing. Mine is going in next tuesday. Gonna be out for a week and a half. I'm not happy.

The only damage I did on dissassembly was to slightly marr/scuff this nozzle thing with pliers. The o-ring was such a tight fit, I couldn't do it by hand. But nothing else was damaged if someone wants to tinker with the pump, have at it
biggrin.gif

Camera_downloads_7_12_06_030.jpg

just wanted to see what it looked like huh. I probably would have done the same thing.  Mine is going in next tuesday.  Gonna be out for a week and a half.  I'm not happy.
A week and a half!!!

Dude it takes an hour to remove and replace the pump assy.  Maybe they don't have all the parts yet...

Only 1 shop in all of LA had the large o-ring in stock that seals the gas tank and pump assy together.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152827852 -->

Back