Ultimate ride: exploring northern california - 30

Then more of the same!! Awhile back, I was asked by a magazine to write about the best roads in California.

"Pick the 5 greatest motorcycle roads in the State of California", the editor said. Wasn't an easy article to write- I even polled everyone I knew, but my inquiry was quite flawed in that riders would just pick roads from a 100 mile radius. In the end, the 1st choice was an easy one- Highway 36. - <--Linky

Finally reaching Red Bluff - one of my more favorite signs.

Glenn practically hugged the sign. Well, maybe not really, but this alluring sign definitely delivers.

We crossed the Central Valley, and as it was getting late in the day, made a beeline to catch Mt Lassen at dusk. There was just enough daylight left in the day to run up to the snow and get some shots.

Img_3418-Lassen1.jpg

The Harley and a whole lot of snow...

IMG_2451-MtLassen-Harley.jpg

(Photo by Russell)

Walking over to the steam that is still flowing out of this once active volcano - Mt Lassen which began erupting in 1914.

Img_3422-Lassen2.jpg

Glenn playing in the snow

P5290150-snow.jpg

That pashnit guy

P5290151-pashnit.jpg

(Photo by Glenn)

Russell checkin' out the steam vents.

Img_3427-Lassen3.jpg

Bubbling mud pot

Img_3428-MudPot.jpg

Pashnit Riders atop Mt Lassen- time to head down the hill, and get some supper! Tomorrow would bring another great day of riding through the Sierra Nevada Mountains southward.

We tried out two group shots- never bring that Kevin guy along, you'll be shooting group shots all over the place. ;)

P5290161-LassenGroup.jpg

Tim, Tim & Ed up top. Russell, Glenn & Kevin down low.
Img_3432-MtLassen.jpg

The bikes

IMG_2462-MtLassen-Harley.jpg

(Photo by Russell)

IMG_2471-MtLassen-Harley.jpg

Time to head for some grub, and get off this mountain.

P5290169-Lassen.jpg

(photo by Glenn)

Last pic of the day.... Glenn shoots his own self-portrait on Mt Lassen

P5290176-LassenGlenn.jpg

Upon inspecting the bikes the following morning in Chester along the north shore of Lake Almanor, seems it was a bit chilly out. Although as soon as the sun came out, the temps came right up to the perfect riding weather and we were off!

Img_3433-Seat.jpg

I'm beginning to see what Glenn means by his face hurt. Can't wipe the smile off that guy.

P5290199-Frost.jpg

Highway 70 is a rather relaxed ride descending down the Feather River Canyon. The FZ

Img_3438-FZ.jpg

The road runs along one side, and on the other side is train tracks. Occasionally, they change sides providing a cool shot of the overlaying bridges one atop the other.

Img_3436-bridges.jpg

Another shot of the bridges... see Tim?

Img_3439-Hwy70.jpg

The bridge also provided a good backdrop for my magazine style photo shoot of the bikes, or at least my attempt at.

Img_3444-Rockster3.jpg

The Feather River which flows down several thousand feet in elevtion to Lake Oroville.

Img_3442-FeatherRiverCanyon.jpg

You've probably heard enough about this very wet Winter and Spring by now. Water everywhere was flowing quite briskly, including this waterfall into the river.

Img_3443-Hwy70Falls.jpg

A wee bit further down the canyon, another spectacular rare shot of the train trestle far below the arced bridge for Hwy 70- one atop the other. There are also several tunnels, but we didn't stop for those. This particular shot is the one you always see in the guide books and travel books about this region of mountainous California.

Img_3451-FeatherRiver.jpg

Train tracks headed up the Feather River Canyon

Img_3453-FeatherRiver.jpg

After circling around the southern end of the lake, it's possible to double back and literally go right back the way you came. However this time instead of being in the canyon, you're up above along the mountainous ridgelines to the south of the Feather River Canyon. This starts off as Hwy 162, then just past the lake (162 ends) changes names to the Oroville-Quincy Hwy.

Kinda looks like a mini Golden Gate Bridge.

Img_3455-Hwy162.jpg

A ton of house boats on Lake Oroville, maybe even what it is best known for.

Img_3460-LakeOroville.jpg

Tim headed up Oroville-Quincy Hwy

Img_3472-FJR.jpg

Glenn, who still, was having the time of his life! Maybe it was the ride, the roads, the company, something like that. Good times.

Img_3476-Glenn.jpg

Img_3479-Glenn.jpg

That Pashnit guy on the Hayabusa !!

Img_3498-busa.jpg

This particular mid-section of Oroville-Quincy Hwy was just something. I think Glenn was most surprised by this section of pavement, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, and quite a trek to get there just to ride it. Funny thing about motorcyclists- tell them about a utopian place like this and they'll travel miles to get there just to see for themselves what all the hoopla is about.

Img_3500-OrovilleQuincyHwy.jpg

One curve simply leans into the next, then the next...

Img_3503-OrovilleQuincyHwy.jpg

And the next...

Img_3504-OrovilleQuincyHwy.jpg

Considering the record setting number of landslides they've had all over California backroads, this was surprisingly minor.

Img_3506-OrovilleQuincyHwy.jpg

Hopefully, it'll never end. What an amazing view!

Img_3510-Hwy162.jpg

Speaking of views- here's the view at the top looking north towards the Feather River Canyon, the ride we'd just come down. What you are looking at is the Sierra Nevada Mountains, the northern portion which has lower elevations than the mountains more towards Yosemite National Park.

If you are not familiar with California topography, much of Northern California is actually total wilderness, and looks much like this.

Img_3512-OrovilleQuincy.jpg

The Pashnit Hayabusa along the ride...

Img_3514-busa.jpg

At the summit of Oroville-Quincy Hwy, still a wee bit of snow left in the Sierra!

Img_3515-OroQuin.jpg

The busa in the snow

Img_3517-OroQuin-Busa.jpg

Finally, we rolled into Quincy for some lunch. Another historic town, Quincy is a good crossroads for motorcyclists and there were plenty rolling into the town.

Img_3519-Quincy.jpg

Cornerstone on the Courthouse - 'Dedicated September 6th, 1919'.

Img_3534-Quincy.jpg

Quincy is also known for its building size murals which were neat to see in such a small town.

Img_3521-Quincy.jpg

Img_3533-QuincyMural.jpg

You'd almost expect someone to be walking down the street in peroid dress, carrying a parasol for sure.

Img_3529-Quincy.jpg

As we were waiting for lunch to be served, a small group of riders pulled up as I was standing outside. The rider looked at me and did a double take. Turns out the two riders actually had their photo on one of the CA Moto Roads pages, and the third rider who took the photo was standing right in front of me. Sure is a small world. One of them was Harold who wanted to know if he could just take a picture of my license plate on the Busa.

Harold
Img_3526-Harold.jpg

After Quincy, it was time to head home after 4 days of incredible riding. Our route would take us up and over Hwy 49 - Yuba Pass, our last mountain pass of the day.

The famous sign at the eastern end of Hwy 49.

Img_3537-Hwy49.jpg

Another million dollar view- the Sierra Valley. Just to the south (right in this pic) is Truckee and Lake Tahoe.

Img_3539-Hwy49.jpg

The non-pano shot, we had great weather with big puffy clouds to accompany us.

Img_3541-Hwy49.jpg

Near the summit is this picturesque shot - the Sierra Buttes which peak at 8591 ft.

Img_3543-Hwy49.jpg

After Sierra City, we rolled into Downieville, another famous Gold Rush town that is still the hub of activity in these parts.

Img_0878-Downievill.jpg

To get into the town, you have to cross this one-lane bridge built in 1938.

Img_0888-bridge.jpg

Many of the buildings remain unchanged from what you would have seen 150 years ago.

Img_0881-building.jpg

There's even a stamp press, which was a giant stamper to crush the gold bearing ore. The rock was first crushed, then the gold was separated from the crushed ore.

Img_0885-Stamp.jpg

Then it was off on our last leg along the Yuba River.

Img_0873-YubaRiver.jpg

We'd done a whole lot of this in the last four days- Highway 49 at its best.

Img_0876-Hwy49.jpg

Well, that's all folks. I'll leave you with one last pic - of Glenn's tire when we were few miles away from his house. Seems he'd really burned through some rubber on this ride.

Tends to happen on a Pashnit ride.
beerchug.gif

Img_3552-tire.jpg

{finish}

Spectaculer views as usual!!!!! Boy some times i wish i lived on the West coast!!!!

Thanks for the pics!!!!
bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

<!--EDIT|GIXERHP
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151139193 -->

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

I'm jealous that looks like it was one great adventure.  What kind of camera do you have?  That thing takes some great pics.

<!--EDIT|darth frosty
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153379645 -->

Back