Glenn

Img_3281-Glenn.jpg

IMG_2248-ScottRiverRd-Glenn.jpg

(Photo by Russell)

Glenn's self portrait

P5280085-Glenn.jpg

Last road of the day...

Img_3255-ScottRiverRd.jpg

Our 3rd day of riding started out something like this: NorCal's Mt Shasta. Just stunning. You have to pull to the side of the road and just gape at it for a bit. It sort of just sits there all by itself as if dropped onto a flat plain.

Img_3292-MtShasta.jpg

The first road of the day was Gazelle-Callahan Rd which didn't disappoint. Deserted, quiet, with virtually no traffic.

Img_3295-MtShasta.jpg

Here's two versions of the same thing. The irrigation pipe provides the leading line into the bust of Mt Shasta. The water provides a sense of life and motion to the pic.

Img_3299-MtShasta.jpg

Well, okay, one more shot never hurt. Hey, at least I narrowed it down to three. Or four. ;)

Img_3301-MtShasta.jpg

The range in front of me is where we're headed. After we traverse the water obstacle though.

Img_3303-GazelleCallahanRd.jpg

Gratuitous shot of the Busa. Keeps ending up in pics somehow.

Img_3306-busa.jpg

Always shoot two right? Here's the second version of the shot above. Think I like the first one.
tounge.gif

Img_3307-Busa.jpg

Ah, you were wondering about the road. Well imagine if you will something that looks like this. Just another day on a Pashnit Ride. And it only gets better!!! This was just the first hour!

Img_3310-GazelleCallahan.jpg

A curve here, a curve there, everywhere a curve curve.

Img_3311-GazelleCallahan.jpg

I really like this shot for some odd reason. Bullet holes in a road sign are the redneck's graffiti.

IMG_2269-GazelleCallahan-Sign.jpg

(Photo by Russell)

Pashnit does NorCal !! Three photos by Russell who's a great shooter.

IMG_2278-GazelleCallahan-Busa.jpg

I think this one was my favorite of the entire ride.
biggrin.gif
I've been running these guided tours for going on 3 years now, and I think it's only the 2nd or 3rd time someone has done some action shots of the Busa. Looks sweet.
biggrin.gif

IMG_2289-GazelleCallahan-Busa.jpg

IMG_2301-Busa-800.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151134967 -->

biggrin.gif

Then once we hit the crest, it was right back down the hill.

Img_3315-GazelleCallahanRd.jpg

Every turn, every straight, every sensation of awestruck motorcycling bliss. I actually slowed down as I rode through this valley in the midst of Gazelle-Callahan Rd, hand on hip, taking it all in. Riding is like that sometimes.

Img_3319-GazelleCallahanRd.jpg

The Pashnit Riders...

Img_3327-CallahanRiders.jpg

Tim along Gazelle-Callahan Rd

P5290100-Tim.jpg

(Photo by Glenn)

Ed on the Yamaha FZ1

IMG_2337-GazelleCallahan-Ed.jpg

(Photo by Russell)

Kevin on the BMW Rockster along Gazelle-Callahan Rd. Every valley like this had one or two homesteads, a small farm, a herd of cattle, a few tractors. Could be anywhere, but this is NorCal!

Img_3330-Rockster.jpg

(Photo by Russell)

While we were parked, the only vehicles that came on by were several ratted old farm trucks. Inside each time was a old guy, a large brim hat on their heads, and a dog in the passenger seat. I kid you not.

IMG_2308-GazelleCallahan-riders.jpg

Pashnit Riders

Img_3333-GazelleCallahan.jpg

That was fun! I'll have some more please. Well, then I've got just the thing. A turn south onto Hwy 3 and on up to the Scott Mtn Summit. This was the view looking north along the way.

Img_3337-Hwy3-ScottMtn.jpg

Then you summit the mountain...

165_6579-sign-hwy3.jpg

...and start flowing down the other side and are greeted with a view like this!! I've said it before, I'll keep saying it. Always been a sucker for a good view!!

Img_3343-Hwy3-ScottMtn.jpg

Twisty ride to the bottom on Hwy 3, with a hairpin or two thrown in there.

Img_3346-Hwy3.jpg

Halfway down the hill, we ran into this. Of course, we had to stop to investigate. When else would you get a chance to check out a helicopter close up. And parked right beside the road for that matter.

Img_3349-copter.jpg

As in real close! What's interesting is it's little more than a tin can with paper thin metal skin over the frame.

Img_3350-copter.jpg

Img_3352-copter.jpg

Looking up while standing under the tail section. These are the twin turbine engines, amazingly small. Our comment was look at all those lines, stuff and general gobblety gook. My, my. Must be an interesting job to be a helicopter mechanic.

Img_3351-copter-engine.jpg

And did I mention how much fuel it uses? Portable gas station on wheels. The fella mentioned it costs $2200 per hour to operate. The helicopter consumes 150 gallons of fuel every hour!

Img_3353-copter.jpg

This helicopter is used for logging of course, and was set down here along side the road in the middle of nowhere for the holiday weekend. While talking to the couple that looked like the caretakers of the aircraft, they were eager to answer all our questions. This helicopter was built in 1967 and has been in service ever since. Although it said 'Boeing' on the side, it was actually built by Kawasaki.

This hydraulic claw pics up 8000 lbs of logs in a single grab. There's no physical assistance from the ground, the pilot just drops the claw right onto the logs he wants to pick up and flies away!

Img_3348-copter-claw.jpg

Our group shot!

Tim, Kevin, Glenn & Tim
Img_3347-copter-group.jpg

My usual juxtaposition shot

Img_3356-Rock-Busa.jpg

Version Number 2

Img_3357-Rock-Busa.jpg

Glenn says let's ride, I'm having the time of my life!!

Img_3354-Glenn-Hwy3.jpg

On into Weaverville for some lunch at Noelle's Garden Cafe.

Img_3362-GardenCafe.jpg

There were quite a few bikes parked in front of the Garden Cafe, which was right at the corner of Hwy 299 and Hwy 3. As we were parking the bikes, another group of bikes was getting ready to leave. As I was walking across the street, one of the riders said, "Hi Tim!"

Funny how that happens. Do I know you? "No," he said, "but I sure know who you are! You're Tim, that Pashnit guy. I've been reading your site for years!" Not sure why, but stuff like this, being recognized in the middle of a tiny town in bfe, still always surprises me. He shook my hand with a smiling vigor, and they all took off! I don't think I ever caught his name.

Main Street in Weaverville.
Img_3369-Weavervill.jpg

While we were sitting there waiting for our food, since the cafe was smack dab in the middle of downtown, I took the liberty of running up and down the street and attempting to shoot some pics to give you a feel for this Gold Rush town. One of the things Weaverville is famous for is the spiral staircases. I counted 3 or 4. Pretty cool.

Img_3365-Weavervill.jpg

There's more info about Weaverville on the Hwy 299 webpage on the CA Moto Roads site.

Img_3364-Weavervill.jpg

Img_3367-Weavervill.jpg

You know you're in a small town when.... (insert rest of sentence here)!

Img_3368-Diggins.jpg

Okay, let's eat!

Img_3373-food.jpg

After lunch, we walked a block away to the Joss House, which is a generic term for a Chinese temple. This one is restored to how it looked when it was used by the Chinese miners in the region during the Gold Rush.

Img_3382-JossHouse.jpg

There's a tiny one-room museum that gives a bit of history to the region.

Img_3374-JossHouse.jpg

Img_3375-JossHouse.jpg

Img_3378-JossHouse.jpg

The explanation for this pic reads as follows:

When conflicts amoung the Chinese arose, the building adjacent the temple was used as a court room. The decisions reached at these hearings usually ended the disputes.

The "Court of the Temple" was unable to reconcile two factions in 1854. Each faction ordered John Carr, the local blacksmith, to make several hundred Chinese spears. They drilled and paraded with traditional weapons and regalia for a week prior to the date of the battle. The residents of Weaverville and the surrounding areas placed bets on which faction would win.

On the appointed day, spectators and particpants alike gathered at Five Cent Gulch east of town for the fight. After ten minutes of battle it was over. A few men were killed and both sides claimed victory.

After burying the dead with elaborate funerals, the factions dropped their hostilities and met for a peace banquet.[/QUOTE]

Img_3376-JossHouse.jpg

Chinese combs and sissors

Img_3377-combs.jpg

Mighty big knife

Img_3379-Knife.jpg

Doors to the Weaverville Joss House

Img_3383-JossHouse.jpg

Img_3387-JossHouse.jpg

Elaborate Chinese rugs on display...

Img_3386-JossHouse.jpg

The interior was so dark, couldn't get a decent shot with the available light, but suffice to say, it's well worth the visit if you like historical stuff. Our docent gave the entire history of the Chinese in the area and about the Joss House. There are several Joss Houses in California and they've been restored to look much like this one.

Img_3389-JossHouse.jpg

Img_3391-JossHouse.jpg

Enough of that, time to hit the road- Hayfork Pass awaits up and over Hwy 3. Glenn headed up to the top of the pass with snow capped peaks in the distance!

Img_3400-Hwy3.jpg

Then the Harley

Img_3403-Tim-Hwy3.jpg

Russell took this amazing shot! One of my favorites!

IMG_2412-Hwy3-Rockster.jpg

Mine looked something like this. I think his lens can do things mine can't, or maybe haven't figured out yet. ;)

Img_3404-Rockster.jpg

The BMW Rockster on Hayfork Pass

Img_3392-Rockster.jpg

The Harley

Img_3393-Harley.jpg

Img_3405-Russell.jpg

At the strangely expansive intersection of the famous Highway 36 & Hwy 3 (which starts here and rides north all the way to nearly the Oregon border at Yreka).

Img_3413-Hwy3-36.jpg

Hello from the Pashnit Riders !! Wish you were here!!

Img_3408-group.jpg

Kevin tries out the feel of the Harley

Img_3410-Harley.jpg

By now, Russell was really lovin' the Harley. One of the interesting things I get to do on a Pashnit Ride is photograph the smiles of the riders during the midst of the ride. There's no mistaking the complete and utter fun their experiencing! The smiles are the same no matter who the person is, or where we are. Grins a mile wide. Riding will do that to you!

Img_3411-Russell.jpg

Chatting with a fellow ST1100 rider (I also own an ST1100 as my daily commuter bike.) at the Hwy 3 junction. This fella had ridden his ST all over the place and was quite proud of all the mods he'd done to make it more comfy.

P5290142-ST-Rider.jpg

(Photo by Glenn)

So on down the road we go, and at the next rest stop in Platina, we run into to these two fellas. Chuck (right) was riding on by, and did a double-take recognizing me and pulled to a stop. Chuck is from Modesto in Central California and has been in the trucking business for years. Seeing his retirement approaching, he thought he'd do something interesting and opened up a Ural dealership. As in those Russian Sidecars- that Ural... http://cvuralca.tripod.com/ is the site to his dealership.

Img_3417-Ural.jpg

After meeting Chuck (standing) and his bud Terry (seated), it was time to make tracks and experience one of the most famous roads in all of California - the Ultimate Ride known as Highway 36. 140 Miles of twisty deserted bliss. You treasure every moment on this road. Riders have been known to ride the 140 mile length from Red Bluff to the Pacific (at Fortuna), then turn right around and do it again!! It's everything you've ever heard or read. All true. I promise.

A mere moment east of Platina, this appears... Hwy 36

Img_0957-platina.jpg

This midsection is the mountainous portion... with snow-capped peaks in the distance.

Img_0931-mountains.jpg

Then Hwy 36 drops out of the mountains and goes through a series of spasmodic contractions. A straight appears as if gearing up for the twisties ahead. Of course, mine as well throw in a whoop-dee-doo in the middle! If you're not careful, you can get the front wheel off the ground, but then I wouldn't know anything about that. ;)

Img_0925-straight.jpg

Then headlong into what Highway 36 is most famous for. This!!!

Can you see it? I can. Can you feel it. I know I can.

What makes a ride like this so unique is that flick from left to right! See the sign. More of the same ahead!!

Img_0924-switch.jpg

Oh yeah! This section we actually parked around the corner just around the bend in the pic. Such an enjoyable set of curves, I and several others had to just run through them about 6 times. Yes, six.

Img_0922-busa.jpg

As we were sitting there parked on the side of Hwy 36, another rider on a Hayabusa pulled up with Tim bringing up the rear. "I recognized you," he said, "and just wanted to stop to shake your hand! If it wasn't for you and your pashnit website, I wouldn't be on Hwy 36 today. The only reason I'm here is because of all you've written about California Roads!!" He thanked me, and we chatted for a bit. Middle of nowhere really, miles from anything. Funny how motorcyclists can do that.

Img_0921-curves.jpg

In the same set of curves, this is the one of those blind right handers. You pop over this rise, and it's a hard right with a dip in the middle. Very much what Hwy 36 is so famous for. Will drop your heart into your boots. Rollercoaster!!

Img_0918-popup.jpg

Back