Ultimate ride: exploring northern california - 30

Russell, Tim & Glenn

Img_3078-Tim-Glenn.jpg

Our entire group - Kevin brought along his mini-tripod and so we shot a whole bunch of group shots, something we normally don't do. This time around, I have a lot to choose from.

Russell, Ed, Kevin, Tim, Sharif, Travis, Glenn & down low is that pashnit guy
Img_3048-group.jpg

Don't forget a shot of the view! Yes, it's even more stunning in real life. Throw in the sounds of the crashing waves, the wind coming off the ocean, the salt in the air...

Img_3082-PointArena.jpg

Leaving... Keep in mind that the Point Arena Lighthouse also offers vacation rentals to stay for a weekend, something like that. Seems like a fun place to base some moto adventures along the California Coastline!

Couple years ago, my wife and I did one of those vacation rentals (before kids of course) on the pacific coast, and it was pretty cool. You get the whole house for the weekend over looking the surf and can base all yer moto adventures. That was back on the FJ1200.

Ah Memories.
muscle.gif

Img_3094-rentals.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151136911 -->

Time to do some more riding!

Img_3098-Busa-Hwy1.jpg

Btw, I can't decide on which one I like best, so I'll post them both. Often times with a shot like this, I'll take it in both 'portrait' and 'landscape' modes and later sort out which one has a better feel to it.

Img_3102-Busa-Hwy1.jpg

As we made our way north towards Fort Bragg, I rode as the sweeper so got to shoot a whole bunch more pics of the ocean than I normally do. You can never tire of shots like this.

See that rain?

Img_3104-Pacific.jpg

But along the coast, it was just a beautiful day!

Img_3105-Pacific.jpg

Highway 1 was as smooth and curvaceous as always.

Img_3106-Hwy1.jpg

At Hwy 128 nearing Fort Bragg

Img_3108-River.jpg

North of Fort Bragg, things have a tendency to open up, and the traffic really thins out.

Okay, here's a quick lesson. See this pic? Now how many interesting things can we do with either the pic, or the positioning of the person with the camera?

Img_3110-Hwy1.jpg

In this version, I'm completely focused on the road. Same spot though.

Img_3112-Hwy1.jpg

In this version, I zoom a bit more on the cove. See how I took all the focus away from the road? And see the flower?

Img_3111-Hwy1.jpg

Flowers, or some type of object in the foreground can really add to the depth in the pic. Check out this version. Same cove but I've changed positions a bit to re-align all the objects in the pic. Now there's lots more emphasis on the rocks just off-shore. Whole different feel.

Img_3115-Pacific.jpg

Now check out this version, still in the same spot. Now all the focus in on the ocean, and those rocks. The coast provides the layering, and you can see three layers as the coast drops away into the horizon.

Img_3114-Pacific.jpg

Now....

Look at this. Recognize the pic? It's the same spot, but just a simple point-n-shoot 28mm shot. Pretty boring. So compare the above versions to this boring shot, and next time you get a chance to be in a place like this, try shooting several versions (stand in three places for example) or angles from the same spot to get a similar result.

Img_3113-basic.jpg

Around Westport is this fun set of curves!

Img_3118-Hwy1.jpg

Btw, take a look at this. See how it's the same photograph, however an entirely different style and feel. Note how when you add in something besides the road, in this case the ocean, it really adds to the scene! "My, my I want to go there(!!!)" you should be saying when you see a shot, I know I do!

Img_3121-Pacific.jpg

Glenn and his perpetual smile.

He would later tell me that he was having so much fun, he couldn't stop smiling. So much so, after awhile, his face hurt.

Img_3122-Glenn.jpg

Glenn and his brand new FJR

Img_3128-Glenn.jpg

End of the first day and arriving at the hotel. Race ya to the jacuzzi!!

Img_3131-group.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151137003 -->

The day started out something like this. This particular Spring proved to be one of the wettest on record in the last decade. Weather patterns you'd take for granted here in California where shelved. So in turn, this required a bit of re-routing since our normal route was still under a big pile of snow.

As we left the Pacific Coast and headed deeper into the wild blue yonder of NorCal, I thought I would quickly give everyone a delicious taste of the diversity that is California.

The beginnings of Titlow Hill Rd

Img_3132-FR1.jpg

Road + Bike. We had to stop, because as the elevation climbed, the tempature did the opposite.

Img_3133-FR1-FJR.jpg

Glenn and his self-portrait. There's that smile again.

P5280048-Glenn.jpg

Viola !! In less than an hour, we had gone from the splendor of sea level and the Pacific Coast, to.... drum roll please.... SNOW.

Img_3134-FR1-snow.jpg

You got to be kidding! Yes, that's snow, and at very low elevations.

Img_3156-FR1-busa.jpg

Glenn

Img_3135-Glenn.jpg

No we didn't go any further, just up ahead the road had quite a bit of snow on it. All fresh, all from last night. And we were probably only at about 3000 feet and above.

Img_3137-Rockster.jpg

One of the locals came down, and confirmed what we suspected. Quite a bit more snow up ahead he said if you'd go like to play. Far enough for us.

Img_3141-local.jpg

The snow covered pine trees also provided the perfect backdrop for some very cool pics. We were also lucky that there was a hole in the cloud cover above. TYpical to come up this high in elevation and essentially be inside the clouds.

The Harley
Img_3149-Harley.jpg

My 2nd version... Always shoot two, right? Or three...

Img_3154-Harley.jpg

Here's Russell's version of his Harley...

IMG_2033-FR1-Harley.jpg

Okay, so here's what happens when you set loose that pashnit guy with a camera and an empty memory card. It was clickity clickity for everyone. The snow was a bit of a surprise for the riders. Remember, it's the end of May.

The BMW Rockster

Img_3153-Rock.jpg

A shot of Ed's FZ1 which was almost brand new for Ed. This was essentially the inagural ride for the bike.

Img_3146-FZ1.jpg

Always try two shots?

Img_3147-FZ1.jpg

This one I really like, good balance of the snow covered pine trees and Kevin's BMW Rockster. I can step into the picture and feel the snow!!

Img_3150-Rockster.jpg

My 2nd try

Img_3151-Rockster.jpg

My 3rd version

Img_3152-Rock.jpg

So began our 2nd day as a group - Maybe we should call it the Ocean & Snow Ride.

Img_3143-group-harley.jpg

So first I had to promise no more snow. Then it was back down the way we came, and out to Hwy 299.

Img_3160-FR1.jpg

From the view on Titlow Hill Rd.... to Highway 299. It was blue skies and puffy clouds, smooth roads and good company. The perfect day to be touring Northern California!

Img_3179-Hwy299.jpg

The view on Hwy 299

Img_3162-Hwy299.jpg

My magazine photo shoot with all the bikes lined up

Img_3165-bikes.jpg

Img_3167-bikes.jpg

Img_3170-bikes.jpg

The guys

Img_3176-Hwy299-group.jpg

In Willow Creek at the Bigfoot Museum, we all took break. Checking out this ole Fordson tractor and the winch out front.

Img_3181-ford.jpg

Img_3182-winch.jpg

Then it was off to assail Highway 96 - aka the State of Jefferson Scenic Byway.

So imagine if much of your day looked like this?

Img_3201.jpg

And the view along the road looked much like this. Did I mention this lil ole road stretched on for miles and miles, as if it would never end!

Img_3204-Hwy96.jpg

For the motorcyclist, it's a rather long, indeed scenic, and fun ride that would take most of the afternoon along the Klamath River.

Img_3193-Hwy96-Harley.jpg

Wondering about that shot above? Okay my secret it out. Sometimes to get all the objects in the right places in the shot, you've got to get a little inventive. For that shot, I want the height, and so with some careful balancing (and no, since you asked, I've never had the bike fall over).

Img_3194-shot.jpg

That pashnit guy, Sharif in tow on the RC51

Img_3187-busa.jpg

Russell was kind enough to take a couple. Interesting to me, since I am normally the one to be taking the pics of the riders.

IMG_2113-Hwy96-Busa-RC51-900.jpg

IMG_2122-Busa-RC51-900.jpg

IMG_2129-Busa-900.jpg

Travis on the RC51

IMG_2135-RC51-800.jpg

Travis, Sharif & Tim. The view is amazing. The view along much of the ride looks like this.

Img_3196-Travis.jpg

Glenn & the Million Dollar Smile. Riding will do that to you. ;)

Img_3197-Glenn2.jpg

And of course I've got to sneak in a gratuitous shot of the Hayabusa.

Img_3206-busa.jpg

Dreamy. Just dreamy!

Img_3208-Hwy96.jpg

Seriously. Classic NorCal. Although there are indeed a lot of people who live in California, much of Northern California is actually total wilderness.

Img_3210-Hwy96.jpg

Oh, and don't forget another thing that the Klamath River is known for- Rafting!

Img_3214-rafters.jpg

Quite a view they had while on the river.

Img_3227-rafters.jpg

Right down into the shoot!

Img_3230-rafters.jpg

Looked like fun!

Img_3220-rafters.jpg

I was lagging behind a bit from shooting so much photography, but rolled on into Happy Camp to have a quick talk with Bigfoot. He didn't say much.

Img_3235-bigfoot.jpg

Img_3234-HappyCamp.jpg

One of things we discovered in Happy Camp, was the grand opening of this hardware store- Evan's Mercantile. Seems some German folks were visiting the town one day, fell in love with this remote tiny (really!!) town in the NorCal Mountains and stayed. It would seem the entire town turned out for the grand opening of the new hardware store, and I felt as though I'd ridden right into an Americana pictorial out of the pages of a National Geographic.

Img_3245-hardware.jpg

Img_3243-HappyCamp.jpg

As our group came rolling in, we were escourted right to the front and told to park right in the middle of the festivities. There was free food for everyone, a band and all sort of raffles. I felt like patting a complete stranger on the back, and bringing up the huntin' trip of '87.

Img_3237-HappyCamp.jpg

After a good lunch together at a mom-n-pop restaurant so small, there were only about 5 tables, we made our way along Highway 96, then detoured onto one of my favorites- Scott River Rd.

This pic by itself tells you why.

Img_3250-ScottRiverRd.jpg

Circa 1965, one of many US Geologic Survey markers found all over in completely random spots. We actually just happened to be standing there and just looked down. Well, whaddya know. ;)

Img_3254-marker.jpg

A fantastic little road, bit goaty, with one particular section so narrow, only a single car would be able to pass. Yet, there's actually a bunch of homes spaced out along the road.

IMG_2230-ScottRiverRd.jpg

(Photo by Russell)

Pashnit Riders

Img_3275-FJR.jpg

Back