~~ am i missing something here?~~

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
Please note that cast magnesium wheels are NOT recommended for street use - only use for the track. Magnesium is a soft metal and can be damaged if you hit a pothole. For street use, check out our line-up of forged aluminum 10-spoke wheels.

Copied from a web site. I have been reading up on wheels again! Confused? You bet I am!

Sounds like forged aluminum is the way to go based on the first paragraph. Maybe they just want to cover there arse.

Thoughts?

hogger...

I bought a set of the Carrozzio? wheels from Charles at Street&Track. They're forged and relatively cheap for wheels at under $1400. TYD

Forged Aluminum. Available in Blk, semi-polished or gold. Nice stuff.

Here's a pic of mine right after i got them.

wheels.JPG

Keep in mind that it also says 10 spokes.....
IMO,this also plays a role on endurance of a wheel.

i need to hit the lotto..........

<!--EDIT|ozzy04
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148416349 -->

hogger

Hey bro, I know your concerns, and its up to you to decide if those concerns are real enough or not, for you to use a particular wheel. I know what wheels your debating, and they look fantastic, and the price he is offering them for is also awesome!

I went with the forged aluminum CZ wheels for several reasons. The warranty is awesome, the quality, and strength over OEM are awesome, and they are much lighter than stock. Magnesium is very light, but I know I put on a lot of miles every year "On the road" in real world conditions, with potholes, rocks, etc...

If I had a track bike, I would have purchased those wheels without blinking an eye for the price. If I had a bike I didn't ride 10 to 15 thousand miles a year, I would strongly consider them, but I do like the peace of mind forged aluminum gives me. I went for the Stage I CZ's because they offered a bit more strength over the Stage II's, but I gave up about 1/2 lb weight savings for that little extra peace of mind. For me it's about having something last and not really having to worry about it. If you go with the Magnesium wheels, make sure to read up about alloy strength's and know exactally what your arse is banking on.

Stay safe...

vv6.jpg

vf7.jpg

st1f.jpg

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148418160 -->

+1 to the above...stick with alum if streed riding, also note that mag wheels lose air pressure fairly quickly...
i got the 20 spokes in alum and love em! i assume the 10 spokes you are reffering to are pvm's...
front
HPIM1411.jpg

rear
HPIM1412.jpg

by the way..thanks again for the kickstand. [/QUOTE]
If you dont stop thanking me,I'm coming to Arizona and taking it back!!
biggrin.gif

That's what it's all about here.

I know that if someday I need sumfin,and you have it,you'll take care of me....

Those CZ stage two's are sick!

by the way..thanks again for the kickstand.
If you dont stop thanking me,I'm coming to Arizona and taking it back!!
biggrin.gif

That's what it's all about here.

I know that if someday I need sumfin,and you have it,you'll take care of me....

Those CZ stage two's are sick![/QUOTE]
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

want it back?

hogger...

100_0031_r1.jpg

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

valium,

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah..I like them..alot. Price is fair. Us Libras have to balance everything you know. Dang!

I have read, looked, shopped and everything else and I still go back to galespeed wheels. The only item of concern is the cush drive. Although I can't find any good pictures it appears to be small. Grab told me that some cush drives just can't take the power of the busa.

I don't track. I don't ride the twisties. I just go in a straight line and lean when there is a curve. No showing off, wheelies or burn outs.

Thanks for the post.

hogger...

wheel_body_type_c_2.jpg

hogger

I think you hit the Libra thing on the head, hey how the heck did you know I was a libra...lol

Ths stock Busa Cush drive is Mega-huge, and when I seen the cush drive on the CZ's I was like...hmmm...is this gona work? Well I can report that after 3,000 miles + on the CZ wheels, the Cush drive is holding up better than the stock setup! On the stock setup I never did any burnout's or top end runs, or slip the clutch much, but when I took the cush drive apart, I notice a lot of rubber shavings. On the CZ's I have abused the cush drive quite extensively for testing purpose's...lol, and the rubbers are looking great. I will look at them again in a few thousand miles and report on them again, but no issue's with the smaller setup.

Suzuki

Weight: front: 10.28 lbs.; rear: 16.80 lbs.
Moment of Inertia: front: 480 lb. in2; rear: 880 lb. in2
Price: $1394
Among the highest weight and MoI measurements in the test (uhh, no surprise there), the stock cast-aluminum Suzuki wheels have a cush drive that (aside from the O•Z wheels, which use the stock parts) is much more substantial than any of the aftermarket units. The rear wheel's spacers are held in place by dust seals-almost all the tested wheels use oversized bearings and captive spacers with no dust seals-that tend to fall out easily. The front wheel requires no spacers. Our test bike's rear wheel was a bit wobbly, but well within the service limit. The stock wheels are marked correctly for DOT.

Interesting.

hogger...

146_0402_bg16_s.jpg

Marchesini forged magnesium
Weight: front: 6.54 lbs.; rear: 11.12 lbs.
Moment of Inertia: front: 276 lb. in2; rear: 373 lb. in2
Price: $2690
Appearing almost identical to the company's forged aluminum wheels but powdercoated rather than anodized, these two examples highlight the differences a simple material change can make in weight, MoI and cost. As opposed to the aluminum Marchesinis, the front is a one-piece design; the rear, however, has the same nylon-block cush drive and bolt-on disc hub-the special sprocket and valve stems are not included. The Marchesinis are the lightest and have the lowest MoI of the 17-inch metal wheels in the test, just edging out the JB-Power hoops in both measurements.

Big difference in M0I from stockers huh? Notice also the weight savings.

hogger...
rock.gif

146_0402_bg07_s.jpg

Marchesini forged aluminum
Weight: front: 8.82 lbs.; rear: 13.80 lbs.
Moment of Inertia: front: 362 lb. in2; rear: 496 lb. in2
Price: $1870
Typically Italian, these Marchesini wheels are beautifully crafted as well as functional-they are among the lightest of the aluminum hoops, as well as having close to the lowest MoI values of that group. The front wheel has bolt-on disc carriers, and the rear cush drive has beefy nylon blocks as opposed to the small rubber donuts typical of most other aftermarket rims. The rear brake carrier is bolted on; valve stems and a special rear sprocket are required but not included. Fit and finish are excellent-our samples are gold anodized.

M0I is not that much greater than the mag. version.

This is turning out to be a science class!

hogger...
wow.gif

<!--EDIT|hogger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148424107 -->

146_0402_bg06_s.jpg

Back