My lucky daughter

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
She had a ball riding three laps around Infineon. I'll see her for lunch on the weekend as she is covering the races for her paper.

ErinAtInfineon1__Small_.jpg

198...on the back...whoa...congrats, you got one heck of a daughter and she looks like she had one heck of a time. Something like that is one of those cool things that no matter what, no one can ever take away from you..sweet  
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Justyntym
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148009443 -->

"198...on the back:"

No no no. The bike with a 'race' rear frame section was clocked at Daytona at 198. Erin said they went between 120 and 140 on the back stretch at Infineon, three full laps. She now of course, wants to 'ride' and I don't mean on the back.

Here's another shot of her when Arie luyendyk took her for a two seat ride in hs open wheeler.

313938364_m__Small_.jpg

Luchy her ! But I'd watch out for that biker , it looks like he's hitting on her! You know how those sportbike guys are !

Here's her story from the press conference. She'll be covering the races for her paper.

By ERIN LAWLEY, Register Sports Writer
Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:13 AM PDT

SAN FRANCISCO -- Yoshimura Suzuki's Ben Spies is on a streak heading into this weekend's Kawasaki AMA Superbike Showdown at Sonoma's Infineon Raceway. He has picked up four straight wins to push him ahead of teammate Mat Mladin for first place in the rider points after five races.

Spies is looking forward to Saturday and Sunday in hopes of a first-ever Infineon victory.

"This weekend's going to be tough," Spies said at a press conference Wednesday. "We know what didn't work last year. Hopefully we'll be able to put the momentum toward this weekend. It's definitely not easy."

Spies added that his bike is running well and not many changes have been made to the set up except "ity, bity ones."

"I'm really happy with the bike, we have a pretty good base setup," Spies said. "I wasn't last year. I like the track a lot."

Mladin won both of Infineon's Superbike races in 2005 and has earned six victories there since 1999. He is the most decorated rider in AMA history with 44 career Superbike wins. Mladin welcomes the competition with Spies.

"Ben's riding really well," Mladin said in a recent teleconference. "He's picked up the pace this year and he's doing a good job. He's always been a good rider -- it's just been a matter of getting his confidence up. I'm really cherishing the competition. It's been a long time since I've been challenged. It's what makes things go round. It's what's going to help me step-up and improve my game.

"When things happen a little too easy, like in 2005, when we won fairly comfortably each weekend, you could say that you get a little bit slack. I would certainly be one to say that it started to happen too easy and I needed a kick in the pants, and I've had a kick in the pants and it's time to get things moving."

Mladin is looking forward to racing again at Infineon, but he's not the only one. Brothers and Petaluma High graduates Eric (Yamaha) and Ben Bostrom (Ducati) will make the trek back to Northern California. Though they used to live in Petaluma, neither brother ever raced at Infineon Raceway.

Eric Bostrom finished third in points last year in the Superbike Series with three wins. He finished 10th and seventh last year at Infineon. Bostrom won in Fontana last month.

"We're looking really strong for Infineon," Eric Bostrom said at a press conference. "It's one of my favorite tracks."

Ben Bostrom returns to AMA Superbikes after competing in the World Superbike last year. He was fourth and fifth in 2004 at Infineon.

"I wasn't so fast in testing, we'll have to see," Ben Bostrom said at a press conference. "It's great being home. The Ducati is a tricky bike. It's going to be a lot of work (at Infineon). It feels good to earn it. It's a good road course."

Kawasaki's Tommy Hayden finished first in last year's Supersport race at Infineon and first in Rider points but is switching gears to Superbike this year. He is currently sixth in points.

"It's been a lot of fun so far, trying to improve every week," Hayden said at a press conference. "We had a good test here, hopefully it will carry over and we'll get on the podium."

Hayden is still looking for his first Top-3 finish this season, but has finished in the top 10 in each of the five races, including two fifth-places. Hayden added that Infineon is a "rider's track" and he's looking forward to continuing improvement with Superbikes.

AMA Superbike qualifying will begin on Friday at 2 p.m. with USA Formula Xtreme to follow. AMA Superbikes will continue with qualifying on Saturday at 9:50 a.m. with Superstock beginning at 12:40 p.m. and Supersport following.

The AMA Superbike Showdown Race 1 (28 laps) will begin at 3:50 p.m. with the USA Formula Xtreme (17 laps) to follow at 5 p.m. on Saturday.

The Superstock (17 laps) bikes will race at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, Supersports (17 laps) at 1:45 and the Superbike (28 laps) Race 2 at 3 p.m.
___

Her ride story, sounds like FUN!

A wild ride at Infineon
Register writer takes ride on Suzuki GSX-R1000 Superstock racebike

Friday, May 19, 2006 1:12 AM PDT
SONOMA — I have a whole new respect for professional motorcycle riders. On Thursday afternoon, I was lucky enough to jump on the back of Chris Ulrich’s Suzuki GSX-R1000 Superstock racebike and haul ass for three laps around Infineon’s 12-turn, 2.22-mile race track. It weighs 370 pounds and the engine produces 180 horsepower.

I can’t seem to pick out the best part of the ride, but overall it was the scariest, most exciting thing I’ve ever done in my 24-plus years of life. Maybe it was Chris popping a wheelie on the front straight or perhaps topping out at 130 on the back straight. Getting parallel to the track on the carousel was pretty awesome as well. I just can’t seem to narrow it down.

To say I was nervous heading into the ride would be an understatement. But fortunately my excitement overruled the anxiety. Chris has been road racing since 1994 and riding professionally in the AMA Series since 1999, so I knew I was safe...well sort of. As safe as you can be going 130 mph without a seat belt and roll cage.

But I did wear a helmet and leather armored suit!

Napa Valley Register sports writer Erin Lawley goes for a ride on the back of a GSX-R 1000 super stock class motorcycle at Infineon Raceway. “My dad was all for it. My mom said she didn’t want to hear about it until I came home alive and safe,†said Lawley.
When I got on the bike, I wrapped myself around Chris and didn’t loosen my death grip until we were stopped. When he gunned it for the first time, I considered tapping out because I was scared. The first lap, I had to concentrate on keeping my eyes open on the turns. It’s a hard thing when your helmet is just over a foot from the ground and you’re traveling at 80 mph.

Chris races for his father John Ulrich’s Team Roadracingworld.com Suzuki on the AMA circuit and will be racing Sunday at Infineon. He is currently ninth in rider points.

When I got word that I was going to have the opportunity of a lifetime, I called my dad to tell him the good news. My dad has been riding motorcycles since before he was driving a car. I grew up around bikes and used to go riding with my dad and uncles when I was little. My new motorcycle pants just came in the mail, and I’m looking forward to my next ride more than ever before. At 56-years young, my pops recently purchased a 2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa LE.

I haven’t had a ride on it...yet.

He was green with envy but admitted he wasn’t sure if he’d have the courage to do it. My mom, on the other hand, didn’t want to hear a word about the ride until I came home alive and safe.

She was the first person I called when I finished up as to not have her worry any more than necessary.

Chris’ teammate, Robertino Pietri rode next to us for all three laps. Coming out of Turn 6, on my second lap, Chris nailed it and I felt like I was going to fly off the back of the bike. We sailed past Robertino before hitting the breaks quickly to head into Turn 7. I felt like a real racer, it was sick.

After just three laps, I was exhausted. Not to say that I wouldn’t have been game for another lap or two. The forces on the body during those turns and being that close to the ground. If your knee doesn’t touch the ground on tight turns, it’s just centimeters away from it. These riders are racing 17 or 28 laps per race. It takes a lot out of you.

Chris started doing 2-seater rides in 2003 and helped to raise money for friend Vincent Haskovec in Fontana last month. Vincent suffered spinal injuries and was paralyzed from the chest down when he crashed and hit a wall during an AMA Formula Xtreme road race at Infineon May 14, 2005. Only 70 percent of his medical bills were covered by his medical insurance. Chris did 26 rides over two days for people to help with Vincent’s growing medical costs.

“I trained with him on a daily basis,†Chris said. “I was more than happy to do it. It was quite fun.â€

Infineon has since made improvements to the track for riders’ safety, which Chris is thrilled about, not that he didn’t push 100 percent on his previous trips to Sonoma.

“We get paid to race motorcycles,†Chris said about going full-throttle. “More a piece of mind, if I crash here, it’s less likelihood I’ll incur an injury. In Turn 6 there is a blind crest, now there’s a field there (instead of a wall). It’s way better. I’m impressed, it’s amazing.

“Dead people cause bad press. No one wants to see a fellow rider get hurt. It takes a toll on everyone mentally.â€

Chris’ favorite part of the track is Turns 8 and 8A.

“It seems like they’re progressively faster,†Chris said. “You have to get one right to get the other. It’s about rhythm. I like challenging corners like that. (Infineon’s) a fun place to ride. When tracks are flat, it’s boring and mundane.â€

Boring and mundane are the last words that come to mind when on a bike at over 100 mph.

AMA Superbike qualifying begins today at 2 p.m. with USA Formula Xtreme to follow. AMA Superbikes will continue with qualifying on Saturday at 9:50 a.m. with Superstock beginning at 12:40 p.m. and Supersport following.

The AMA Superbike Showdown Race 1 (28 laps) will begin at 3:50 p.m. with the USA Formula Xtreme (17 laps) to follow at 5 p.m. on Saturday.

The Superstock (17 laps) bikes will race at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, Supersports (17 laps) at 1:45 and the Superbike (28 laps) Race 2 at 3 p.m.

Napa Valley Register sports writer Erin Lawley can be reached at 256-2212 or elawley@napanews.com

Chris used to be part of my extended family! Great guy good rider, his family runs the “Road Racing world magazine". His dad used to be an editor for Cycle world. Glad she had fun with him

<!--EDIT|Gunnybusa
Reason for Edit: "sp"|1148060205 -->

Good stuff. I've seen Chris at some select WSMC races. I know he was doing the media thing your daughter was doing. Many media folk who never thought twice about bikes and racers have a newfound respect for them. It's definitely one of the CRAZIEST motorsports you could possibly get into.

Just got a call from my daughter and Infineon has cancelled all activities for today. Won't know until tomorrow what's in store for the weekend races due to the weather, and me with free tickets!!!

Back