New bits and paint

Gotta love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bowdown.gif

No worries HT. The wheels have been a work in progress for quite a while. The Busa was originally a grey and silver model. So naturally I wanted silver wheels. I sanded the powdercoat off by hand. It took ages to do. I am sure there were lots of chemical options but i wasn't doing anything else, so what the hell. It was then wetand dryed until shiny and smooth. polished initially (and carefully) with a dremel and compound from the local hardware. It was finished with a polishing rag, mag polish and dirty fingers, also took ages. I didn't clearcoat, mainly because I like the look of fresh polish and don't mind putting my back into it when it gets dirty. The paint was all in the prep. Wheel off and cleaned with thinners. Every bit of dust and crap has to go. Don't get it on your rubber. dry it and then mask off. If you were really careful to cut a clean line initially, should be no worries. Use a thin piece of tape first in one inch sections, it takes a while but you can keep to the curve. Once you have done both sides, use proper masking tape of it, in case it leaks. From the mask use newspaper (not the stuff I have in the mock up - I dug that out of the bin) to wrap everything else you don't want to be black. it should look like a xmas present. Prime if nessecary, it will depend on the colour. I used a paint called Killrust (from the local hardware) because it settles nicely and is easily touched up in the future. Leave ages betwwen coats, I went for about 8 hours between coats and applied 3 thinnish coats. After the last coat, I left it for the full 16 hours. I am not sure it was nessecary but the cost a bad inside line would have been gave me patience. Unwrap the present and carefully remove the blue tape. The line should be sharp as a razor if you applied it carefully. I like the look, and the whole activity was very theraputic. Like watching paint dry. If you want to clearcoat, reapply the mask to the rubber and go for it. make it a few coats or it will look ordinary. I took a few mock up pictures this arvo for you, after i read your request. ignore the dirty wheel, it has been bad weather this week. I am sure there are a bunch of painters out there cringing but it has worked for me twice now with no complaints. I hope that helps. The aerial shots are for you, Justbusa. I hope that you can see what you wanted better.

aerial01.jpg

No worries HT. The wheels have been a work in progress for quite a while. The Busa was originally a grey and silver model. So naturally I wanted silver wheels. I sanded the powdercoat off by hand. It took ages to do. I am sure there were lots of chemical options but i wasn't doing anything else, so what the hell. It was then wetand dryed until shiny and smooth. polished initially (and carefully) with a dremel and compound from the local hardware. It was finished with a polishing rag, mag polish and dirty fingers, also took ages. I didn't clearcoat, mainly because I like the look of fresh polish and don't mind putting my back into it when it gets dirty. The paint was all in the prep. Wheel off and cleaned with thinners. Every bit of dust and crap has to go. Don't get it on your rubber. dry it and then mask off. If you were really careful to cut a clean line initially, should be no worries. Use a thin piece of tape first in one inch sections, it takes a while but you can keep to the curve. Once you have done both sides, use proper masking tape of it, in case it leaks. From the mask use newspaper (not the stuff I have in the mock up - I dug that out of the bin) to wrap everything else you don't want to be black. it should look like a xmas present. Prime if nessecary, it will depend on the colour. I used a paint called Killrust (from the local hardware) because it settles nicely and is easily touched up in the future. Leave ages betwwen coats, I went for about 8 hours between coats and applied 3 thinnish coats. After the last coat, I left it for the full 16 hours. I am not sure it was nessecary but the cost a bad inside line would have been gave me patience. Unwrap the present and carefully remove the blue tape. The line should be sharp as a razor if you applied it carefully. I like the look, and the whole activity was very theraputic. Like watching paint dry. If you want to clearcoat, reapply the mask to the rubber and go for it. make it a few coats or it will look ordinary. I took a few mock up pictures this arvo for you, after i read your request. ignore the dirty wheel, it has been bad weather this week. I am sure there are a bunch of painters out there cringing but it has worked for me twice now with no complaints. I hope that helps. The aerial shots are for you, Justbusa. I hope that you can see what you wanted better.
Great job and thanks for the write-up! I'm definately inspired to give it a try now.

Back